Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

When Scott decides to pick his 2 or 4 more schools to go to 16.

I tend to agree with Ian....growth may come, but I think it's more likely to come from another P5....which may create more realistic opportunities for a few G5 other than the PAC...but who really knows.   

Youve only been told that to make you go 'Aw, shucks,' while they boost their TV revs and keep the pie shared among their small group. Academics is a smokescreen excuse. If they cared about academics, they wouldnt be creating fake classes, having tutors take care of athletes classwork, etc.

BYU is not in the P5 for other reasons that have been detailed elsewhere.

But it's still about "other reasons" and not just eyeballs.  BYU brings more eyeballs than both Utah and Colorado and yet they were passed over.  Therefore, it truly isn't all about eyeballs as "other reasons" are clearly part of the decision making process.  For the PAC especially, I would suggest that academics is part of the decision.

v0icAvfW.jpg

They invited CU to block Baylor from wanting to tag along.

They've wanted CU since the 90s anyways.

So they were inviting 5 schools?

I don't get the math on this one.

OU/TT/OSU/UT/CU?

So the Pac 15?

What am I missing? 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Why the change? The Pac-10 offered all four before.

You think they really DID offer Texas Tech membership in the PAC?  Larry Scott switched Okie State with Kansas to kill the deal.  The PAC presidents do not want non VHRU schools in the conference.  If it was politically possible, Washington State and Oregon State would be sent PACking.

What a dumb comment.  They were previously ready to take TTU and OSU.  So, you can toss that idea out the window. 

Ya think?!?

I thought TT did not get the invite and that's when Colorado did.

You think TT was offered membership before CU?  I don't think so.

They invited CU to block Baylor from wanting to tag along.

They've wanted CU since the 90s anyways.

More like it but the PAC doesn't want non-VHRU schools.  There is talk of a potential Houston-Texas move to the PAC due to UH's VHRU rating plus the Houston market.

The PAC also loves their urban areas and you could see why OSU and WSU are always talked about being on the way out of the conference when it really won't happen.  I have been to Lubbock and let's say despite the population and some high rises there, it doesn't feel like a fit for the PAC.

So they were inviting 5 schools?

I don't get the math on this one.

OU/TT/OSU/UT/CU?

So the Pac 15?

What am I missing? 

Utah fans at the time insisted they were in regardless of what happened with the BigXII raid.  Maybe they were right????  That would have gotten them to 16 if Baylor was truly out.

The only fact here is that CU was the first school offered before much of the other talk began.  They were in no matter what.  It's hard to separate fact from conjecture with the rest of it.

v0icAvfW.jpg

You think they really DID offer Texas Tech membership in the PAC?  Larry Scott switched Okie State with Kansas to kill the deal.  The PAC presidents do not want non VHRU schools in the conference.  If it was politically possible, Washington State and Oregon State would be sent PACking.

Ya think?!?

You think TT was offered membership before CU?  I don't think so.

More like it but the PAC doesn't want non-VHRU schools.  There is talk of a potential Houston-Texas move to the PAC due to UH's VHRU rating plus the Houston market.

The PAC also loves their urban areas and you could see why OSU and WSU are always talked about being on the way out of the conference when it really won't happen.  I have been to Lubbock and let's say despite the population and some high rises there, it doesn't feel like a fit for the PAC.

Pac-10 offered six:

https://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

Then four/five:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20100611-Pac-10-commish-flying-to-Texas-584.ece

Academic/research powerhouses TTU and OSU were in each group invited.

Laughable. Maybe you also have a Dickless Harmon quote regarding "Earring Gate" as well?

I might believe a single utterance from you if you occasionally did not go straight for the least reliable sources.

At the time DeLoss Dodd said he had offers in hand, Larry was rejecting everything coming out of the University of Texas administration.

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

Laughable. Maybe you also have a Dickless Harmon quote regarding "Earring Gate" as well?

I might believe a single utterance from you if you occasionally did not go straight for the least reliable sources.

At the time DeLoss Dodd said he had offers in hand, Larry was rejecting everything coming out of the University of Texas administration.

Laughable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5293329

Wonder why Colorado was invited a week earlier, if Yewtah was a "shoe-in"?

Also, would some zoob please provide some proof, like ratings, that the mips control the eyeballs in Utah?

How about attendance?  BYU has the larger fanbase and thus more eyeballs.  Even if neck and neck in Utah BYU still has a much larger presence outside of the state.  Only Utah fans would argue otherwise.  More fans = More eyeballs.

v0icAvfW.jpg

I think Kansas was in the discussion, as well as Utah.  Initially I think TAMU was as well.

The first six invitees were UT, TTU, OU, OSU, TAMU and CU.

TAMU was waffling between SEC and Pac.

CU joined Pac and TAMU went to the  SEC, leaving four invitees. When those four rejected the move, Pac-11 went with Yewtah. 

This was not that long ago that so many of you should be so uninformed.

Laughable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5293329

Wonder why Colorado was invited a week earlier, if Yewtah was a "shoe-in"?

Who cares? None of the Texas stuff happened. Not. One. Bit.

Odd, no? Particularly when they had" offers in hand."

All of those "news" services were quoting each other, and the original source? That douchebag from Orangebloods. He was it. None of it was true.

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

How about attendance?  BYU has the larger fanbase and thus more eyeballs.  Even if neck and neck in Utah BYU still has a much larger presence outside of the state.  Only Utah fans would argue otherwise.  More fans = More eyeballs.

Just show me ratings, that's what we're really discussing. Not interested in HogiYogi giveaways.

I think Kansas was in the discussion, as well as Utah.  Initially I think TAMU was as well.

Rozzzwell gave a link that summed it up pretty nicely.

I think I have blocked out a lot of "The Summer of Realignment".

I think you are right though, Texas was saying they were going to bring Baylor and the PAC proactively invited CU to block that.

Looking back I actually wish the PAC had successfully raided the Big 12 and left the MWC alone. it would not be hard to imagine BYU/Utah/TCU/Boise State and some others int he Big 12 in that scenario. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Rozzzwell gave a link that summed it up pretty nicely.

I think I have blocked out a lot of "The Summer of Realignment".

I think you are right though, Texas was saying they were going to bring Baylor and the PAC proactively invited CU to block that.

Looking back I actually wish the PAC had successfully raided the Big 12 and left the MWC alone. it would not be hard to imagine BYU/Utah/TCU/Boise State and some others int he Big 12 in that scenario. 

What could have been.....   :(

v0icAvfW.jpg

Getting back to the original Post... academic rankings are critical to P12.  I thought UNR has excellent academic research rankings...  No?

IMHO, If P12 goes to P14 or P16, I believe:

a) UHi will get invited quickly.  All it needs is the P12 financial boost to blossom!!  The massive UH fanship would go nuts.  And by having UHi, the P14 would control all of those "13th game" schedules!!!   What a coup for Scott & P14.

B) Assuming BYU is out of the picture, Next in line should be CSU or UNM or AFA.  I believe AFA may get a good look, after they clean up their mess. 

c) Why AFA?  Again... think of the POWER it provides Scott in the realm of scheduling & TV broadcasts --- w/ Notre Dame, Army, Navy games every year!!  And they provide the travel partner CU needs.

d) Why CSU?  The P10 made hay in the past by grabbing BOTH top large public schools in each state of their footprint (AZ, Wa, Or, Cali).... they've not forgotten that & CU needs a travel partner & natural RIVAL.  Plus, they do need to block the B12 from encroaching on the Front-range market.  CSU still has a legacy of fine Fball from the Lubick days.  The Denver market continues to grow rapidly... unlike the CA markets. 

e) Why UNM?  Bball baby!!!!  And market growth.

f) Others w/ hi-potential IMHO...   USU (travel partner for UU & sews up the state for P12, except those darned Borg fans... could be the downfall for USU).

UNLV & UNR (obvious reasons)