Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WyomingCoog

CBS MWC Men's Hoops Power Rankings

"Over the past 9 basketball seasons the Aztecs road record at UNM and at UNLV is the same as New Mexico's home record against UNLV and SDSU.

UNLV, SDSU, UNM head up records, over the past 9 years23-13 SDSU 18-18 UNLV 13-23 New Mexico"

What a terrible, convoluted, meaningless collection of stats.  Its really not that hard to show that SDSU has had the upper hand lately.  Get a clue and stop trying so hard

It is a little convoluted. I couldn't get the thing to page down like below:

23-13 SDSU

18-18 UNLV

13-23 New Mexico

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

LOL!  AztecBull cherry picks his years to validate his data.  He has been doing that for years. Here is all you need to know Bruce Jones.  UNM has won five trophies in the last three years,(regular season/conference tourney) while SDSU has won two trophies in the last three years,  UNM is also 6-3 vs the aztecs over the last three years.  I would say that UNM "has had the upper hand lately".

OOC

Aztecs have been ranked 4 years in a row entering conference play.

Lobos have been ranked 1 time (#25) in the last 4 years entering conference play.

Conference

Aztecs have won 57 conference games over the past 4 years (including MWC tournament) and won the MWC Title 3 of last 4 years.

New Mexico has won 56 conference games over the past 4 years (including MWC tournament) and won the MWC Tournament 3 of last 4 years.

NCAA Tournament

Aztecs have 5 wins in the last 4 years.

New Mexico has 1 win in the last 4 years.

The Aztecs have dominated OOC and dominated NCAA tournament play over the Lobos. The Lobos and the Aztecs have been pretty even in conference the last 4 years with the Aztecs winning one more conference game over that period. I don't see how that is close to having "the upper hand lately".

LOL!  AztecBull cherry picks his years to validate his data.  He has been doing that for years. Here is all you need to know Bruce Jones.  UNM has won five trophies in the last three years,(regular season/conference tourney) while SDSU has won two trophies in the last three years,  UNM is also 6-3 vs the aztecs over the last three years.  I would say that UNM "has had the upper hand lately".

23-13 versus 13-23 is pretty stark. No cherry picking gets you numbers that extreme. I looked up the numbers because someone on Aztecmesa wanted to include wins at New Mexico in a statement I made about winning at Kansas, at Arizona, and at Gonzaga over the past 4 years. My contention was that winning in The Pit was a lot easier than winning in those other venues. The Lobos just being 9-9 against the Rebels and Aztecs over the past 9 years at home made my case. I thought the numbers were interesting enough to share. The Aztecs, in case you care, are 14-4. It is not just conference games, the last OOC loss at home to an unranked team for the Aztecs was 2007, while the Lobos have a 3 year streak of losing in The Pit to unranked OOC teams.

I don't think it's hard to see that SDSU are the head of the class and should really dominate the conference. 

My surprise is going to be Fresno.... I think they will be much better than advertised. 

Dave Rice has tempered my expectations of UNLV over the last 2 years that anything better than 4th would actually exceed mine

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Apparantly the author of that list didn't get the word about preparing his anus.

I'm calling my shot right now!  CSU will finish the season...

Both Boise and Wyoming are paper tigers. What has either done to warrant that ranking? Wyoming can't stay healthy. And Boise? It finished BEHIND a Carter-coached Nevada program last season in the standings. How it managed to pull that off with its guard play?

SDSU

UNM

Vegas

And then everyone else in various order.

They both stayed as strong as they were while others fell in strength.  It's a ranking by default, and of course will change as games get played.  Preseason means preseason.

I don't think it's hard to see that SDSU are the head of the class and should really dominate the conference. 

My surprise is going to be Fresno.... I think they will be much better than advertised. 

Dave Rice has tempered my expectations of UNLV over the last 2 years that anything better than 4th would actually exceed mine

What the Rebels haven't had is Doolin. A really good PG added to their other talent will be a game changer. They are my #2 and could challenge the Aztecs, if Doolin is allowed to play.

I agree about Fresno State. They will probably have the newcomer of the year in Julien Lewis. I have them tied for 2nd.

FIFY

BSU 2nd?

Wyo 3rd?

UNLV 4th?

CSU 5th? 

UNM 6th? lol

If that's the case we're looking at what will be the worse year in MWC history. Be ready for a single bid/double digit seed and  RPI Conf. rank of #15. 

roflbot.jpg

BSU 2nd?

Wyo 3rd?

UNLV 4th?

CSU 5th? 

UNM 6th? lol

If that's the case we're looking at what will be the worse year in MWC history. Be ready for a single bid/double digit seed and  RPI Conf. rank of #15. 

I doubt the big three finish out of the top 5, or even out of the top 3, but I don't think it would be the end of the world.  Plenty of earned respect out there for UNM, SDSU, and UNLV.  If other MWC teams finish above them, I think it will only be percieved as the MWC being a stronger BB conference, not as the conference falling on it's face.  I think the top of the conference has at least earned that much respect.

SDSU

NM - Neal has players and he can coach. I don't get why everyone is down on the Lobos

Fresno - Am I only one that watched this team finally "get it" in the CBI?  Terry is a coach on the rise

Wyo - Shayatt (sp?), 7,000'  and Larry Nance jr makes them a tough out

UNLV - pure talent.  If they had a coach they would be scary.

Everybody else except...........

sjsu.... Suggestion:  use that surplus to buy out your coach.  You'll never succeed with him.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

So this is what the bottom looks like?   Me no likey!

There has not been a season like we are about to embark upon under Stew. It is going to be interesting for Aggie fans to say the least. I feel like our bball team is sort of like WYO's fball team this season; we really have no clue what the hell is going to happen, but in the end it will probably be a mixed bag of results.

I'd be surprised if UNM is lower than 4.

I think Wyoming is too high. Not convinced they'll be much better, and that's without considering the fact that Nance might not be 100% until conf. play

I have no expectations as a USU fan, after losing just about everyone off last years mediocre team (although 7-9 isn't as bad as the other MWC newbies did in their first years), but even if we are a 8th or 9th place team I think we will be better than the usual 8th or 9th placed MWC teams are typically. While as a conference we won't be as strong at the top (after SDSU it's a bunch of ?'s) I think 1-10 has a chance to be more solid than in the past with teams like AFA improving, Wyoming, Nevada, Fresno, and CSU will all be better than last year. USU has a chance to be pretty good by conf. time if the team gels, but that won't help the conference too much. I hope we can hold our own in OOC and finish with a top 120ish RPI.

1 SDSU

2 Boise

3 UNLV

4 New Mexico

5 Fresno

6 CSU

7 Wyoming

8 Utah St

9 Nevada

10 AFA

11 SJSU

1170800_10200498052574398_877465568_n.jp

Going back to the original Rothstein picks, CSU picked for 5th and picked as the sleeper team doesn't make sense. The Rams had a three-year period where they finished 4th, 4th, and 2nd and went to the NIT and a pair of NCAA Tourneys. They fell off last year. A 5th place finish in a watered down MWC will not be good enough to get them into the NCAAs and will certainly put Eustachy on the hot seat. The CBI is not an option.