Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pioneer

ND to ACC

Takes a couple hundred thousand off for the basketball schools, but ND basketball barely moves the needle.

Considering ND has the largest fan base of any current BE school by far.......barely moves the needle? Isn't it all about viewership?

Any instability is the last thing they need during TV contract negotiations. I think this affects negotiations more than people think.

I think this is true. But glass half full for BSU and SDSU is that the deal will still be vastly superior to CFB's worst deal that currently collars the MWC.

If ND was concerned about its FB schedule as an Indy that can only mean its going to be even tougher for a BYU or Idaho.

That is why the Big East just got closer to adding BYU as the 14th member.

"A donkey always says thank you with a kick." --– Kenyan Proverb

BYU would be joining for football and leaving their BB in WCC where they are happy. ND does not play football in the BE so that is irreverent. BYU will join if the BE has a good media contract if it will allow them secondary rights to their home games for the BYU network. You think scheduling is going to be any easier for BYU now that ND is guaranteeing 6 games a year with the ACC? Those were games, along WAC games, were games BYU was counting on scheduling.

Guaranteed that the Big East goes after BYU hard and would be willing to accomodate lots of BYU requests.

I still don't think that BYU will jump, but if Notre Dame is concerned about scheduling as an Indie, it can only be worse for BYU.

FWIW What do u think is next?

I don't even want to guess but I will..... I don't think the MWC will be at all happy and NMSU and Idaho may find a home here sooner rather than later.

I would guess 2-4 teams from here. And BYU.

One of the Final Five..........

BYU would be joining for football and leaving their BB in WCC where they are happy. ND does not play football in the BE so that is irreverent. BYU will join if the BE has a good media contract if it will allow them secondary rights to their home games for the BYU network. You think scheduling is going to be any easier for BYU now that ND is guaranteeing 6 games a year with the ACC? Those were games, along WAC games, were games BYU was counting on scheduling.

On the flip side, you could say ND playing more ACC teams, is possibly in BYU"s favor. Those schools who have had long standing relationships scheduling ND, could turn to BYU as a viable option to keep a nationally recognized OOC quality opponent on their schedule. Not saying that will be the case, but just looking at the flip side of the coin.

515px-Nevada_Wolf_Pack_Txt.svg.png

Considering ND has the largest fan base of any current BE school by far.......barely moves the needle? Isn't it all about viewership?

ND basketball viewership isn't anywhere near as wide as football. If ACC is getting ND football (which they are obviously angling to in the future) then it would be a big deal.

I agree- So Air Force & Fresno as the two surefire bets- then CSU/Hawaii, even UNM/UNLV as the other candidates.

I think they will ask AFA but I expect AFA to turn them down again.

Unless there is a serious western division for all sports, they might consider that.

Fresno would be possible. CSU.

That is why the Big East just got closer to adding BYU as the 14th member.

That could happen. But the move does reaffirm the perception that the BE remains unstable and has lost significant lustre in the realignment mess, the same applies to the MWC. The move also raises new scenarios for more movement....that may or may not happen, but the scenarios are already being played out just as things had stabilized...all likely affect the BE. Not sure if any of this factors in a BYU decision, but it may.

Conference Heirarchy:

SEC and Big10

PAC12 Big 12

ACc

BE

MWC and the rest

_________________________________________________________________________________________

It's all musical chairs and positioning yourself to try to make those top 4 or in the ACC's case force it to be 5 major conferences

Unless there is a serious western division for all sports, they might consider that.

After hearing that Calhoun held players from post game interviews and brought instructors along to Michigan to make sure the cadets stayed on top of their studies...I am finally thinking AFA really isn't inclined to jump.

I really don't see any of the front range schools going to the big east on their own. A new conference is more likely than CSU going to the big east without AF, UNM, and even WY.

That could happen. But the move does reaffirm the perception that the BE remains unstable and has lost significant lustre in the realignment mess, the same applies to the MWC. The move also raises new scenarios for more movement....that may or may not happen, but the scenarios are already being played out just as things had stabilized...all likely affect the BE. Not sure if any of this factors in a BYU decision, but it may.

I think the way the 5 top conferences have been playing it, no reaffirmation necessary. They've been saying it all along.

But it still doesn't matter. If NBC wants college football, they'll bid high for it. I don't buy into the "ESPN is sabotaging" mentality. The contract will still be great. Not as good as the top 5, but much, much higher than the rest.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

After hearing that Calhoun held players from post game interviews and brought instructors along to Michigan to make sure the cadets stayed on top of their studies...I am finally thinking AFA really isn't inclined to jump.

If there is a TRUE western division I think that changes the equation for AFA.

doubt AFA or CUSA go unless they go as a package and even then they may want UW to come along as well.

I really don't see any of the front range schools going to the big east on their own. A new conference is more likely than CSU going to the big east without AF, UNM, and even WY.

What if it is a true western division?

I suspect that will give nearly all the programs pause and serious consideration given the sheer scale of what is going on. No one wants to be the next Idaho.

Guaranteed that the Big East goes after BYU hard and would be willing to accomodate lots of BYU requests.

I still don't think that BYU will jump, but if Notre Dame is concerned about scheduling as an Indie, it can only be worse for BYU.

Not sure ND has had trouble scheduling, so don't know if that's a factor. IMO, with SOS being added as a component for ranking in the new 4 team playoff system, more schools would want to add ND to the OOC schedule.

515px-Nevada_Wolf_Pack_Txt.svg.png