Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pioneer

ND to ACC

Yeah, it is a big deal. (ND moving to ACC)

But hardly unexpected.

Might want to consider what the BE response will be, most likely adding some additional teams from the west.

While anything is possible I am not clear why the olympic sports side of the BE would look west to replace ND.

Agreed to a degree. An ACC AD did admit that 90 percent of the new ESPN contract was football related and the rest was basketball. The rights to basketball wouldn't be too expensive the likes of NBC, FOX, CBS, and ESPN.

But the spending on football is pretty much done at this point and BSU & SDSU will be getting the leftovers. Sometimes it's better to accept who you are and where you are than taking a huge risk. The presidents of both schools should be lauded for trying to improve football but they made very bad calculations. I wonder what the Big West's media rights deal is like?

That is a matter of opinion.

One of the Final Five..........

LInk? Never seen anything to support what you're saying here.

Dude - you can go look it up. I'm not your researcher. There are so many links about the current news that it'll be fun for you to sift through them to find news from 2005. If you're so skeptical, c'est la vie.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

With SDSU and Boise being non-basketball playing members of the Big East this could actually be good news for us as it increases the chances of an all sports western division. The TV contract will take a hit without ND but I am openly rooting for the catholic basketball schools to bail so a more traditional all-sports model can be created.

Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs

To say that the Big East losing ND is no big deal is to say BE is better off w/o ND. It isn't.

6 minutes ago

It's funny to see the contradiction now. The nBE decides it's best move for the future tv deal is to go after large market teams, with the exception of BSU, who's addition is based solely on their success in football. So, to say a school leaving (even though not a FB member) with probably the largest fan base and name brand in the Big East will have minimal to no affect on the total dollar amount of the new tv deal, is laughable.

515px-Nevada_Wolf_Pack_Txt.svg.png

But the spending on football is pretty much done at this point and BSU & SDSU will be getting the leftovers. Sometimes it's better to accept who you are and where you are than taking a huge risk. The presidents of both schools should be lauded for trying to improve football but they made very bad calculations. I wonder what the Big West's media rights deal is like?

Yeah, other than NBC, Fox, CBS...

You should probably worry more about your dumpster fire of an athletics program than the BE.

While anything is possible I am not clear why the olympic sports side of the BE would look west to replace ND.

It all comes down to one thing, the tv contract.

And you can't 'replace' a program like ND.

All you can do is maximize the footprint and tv numbers you are dealing with.

Does anyone here really think the BE is going to stand pat with what they have now that ND is moving on?

Their strategy is now going to be how to maximize the number of markets than can have. And that means expanding into areas and footprints they don't already have. That means going west.

With SDSU and Boise being non-basketball playing members of the Big East this could actually be good news for us as it increases the chances of an all sports western division. The TV contract will take a hit without ND but I am openly rooting for the catholic basketball schools to bail so a more traditional all-sports model can be created.

That would be one possibility. And probably the BE best shot of maximizing their TV deal given the current landscape.

I'm still maintaining the positive on all of this. I think Notre Dame got called on some strong 'poop or get off the pot' issue by new commish Aresco. It's about damn time. Notre Dame decided to stand up and go. As a result, I don't think anything else is gonna get flushed down the BE commode. Not at all.

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Impact of the football scheduling agreement on existing Notre Dame schedule:

2015:

4 ACC teams on schedule: Pitt, Syracuse, Wake Forest, BC

7 non ACC games = the 1 remaining game must be ACC team

2016:

4 ACC teams on schedule: Miami, Pitt, BC, Syracuse

7 non ACC games = the 1 remaining game must be ACC team

2017:

2 ACC teams on schedule: Syracuse, Miami

7 non ACC games = 3 remaining games must be ACC teams

BYU's remaining 3 games on their agreement could then be scheduled in 2018, 2019, 2020 and still be within the terms released from their earlier agreement. There is only 1 ACC game and 5 non-ACC games currently on the schedule for 2018 and 2019.

I never stated there were separate FB & BB media deals - that's your assumption. But these negotiations include discussions on how much FB value there is and how much BB value there is before a total number is assigned. As ND wasn't a FB member, and as FB will bring in the largest amount of revenue, it won't be affected by ND's departure.

Sure BB will take a hit. How big a hit is yet to be determined. But for BSU & the other FB only members, it isn't an issue.

As to your betrayal statement, SDSU's departure probably stung some. BSU's less so, only because we haven't been members long. But I'm sure a number of president's were disappointed. But who wouldn't? Then reality sets in, and they move on. Which is what will happen within the BE.

It will absolutely have an effect what FB schools receive. Regardless of what value is assigned for the hoops and FB in the new tv deal, that's on the networks part, since their offer will be all inclusive, with the Big East dividing that total dollar amount among full, FB and BB only members. So, the fact it will affect the BB side, also means it'll affect the FB side. You talk like it will have no affect on what money FB playing members receive. They are not mutually exclusive of each other. No matter how you twist it, it doesn't change that fact.

My last point was really to point out that your statement is the pot calling the kettle black. Just seemed strange that statement comes from a BSU fan is all.

515px-Nevada_Wolf_Pack_Txt.svg.png

I do not think BYU would join the Big East with out ND part of it.

BYU would be joining for football and leaving their BB in WCC where they are happy. ND does not play football in the BE so that is irreverent. BYU will join if the BE has a good media contract if it will allow them secondary rights to their home games for the BYU network. You think scheduling is going to be any easier for BYU now that ND is guaranteeing 6 games a year with the ACC? Those were games, along WAC games, were games BYU was counting on scheduling.

"A donkey always says thank you with a kick." --– Kenyan Proverb

Andy Katz on Colin Cowherd says that he thinks this is a sign that Rutgers, UCONN and/or Louisville may be heading to the ACC as well.

I would think Rutgers. With Syracuse, ND, And Rutgers they would wrap up the NYC DMA plus Rutgers is an AAU school.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

ND helped with bowl tie in negotiations, make no mistake this matters to the BE.

It is a big deal.

Not unexpected but still significant. It will not be the only movement. This will set off another set of dominoes.

Any instability is the last thing they need during TV contract negotiations. I think this affects negotiations more than people think.

oh yeah

which is why I think there is another landslide set of moves coming.