Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Lamont Smith to USD

Guest #1Stunner

To heck with Cashews.  They actually pass out a full meal.  Vegetarian, yes, but hey its free.

348s.jpg

WOW!!!  

The Krishnas in San Diego are something else.  I've only ever got Cashews before.  But you guys get an entire meal there!!!???  And yes, that does look delicious. 

Respect to the SDSU Hare Krishna groups for their selfless act of charity.

Thank you USD! Great hire!

Seriously, I think Lamont will be a better head coach than he was an assistant. I've wondered if UNM would have been better off with roles reversed - Lamont the head man and Noodle as the primary teacher and recruiter. Lamont seemed like a good, but not great, recruiter and teacher. But, he's very personable, great on radio and TV, great face of a program. If he can surround himself with the right staff, he could be successful.

Looks like he is a USD alum:

8877070.jpeg

Lamont Smith enters his first season with the University of New Mexico, and the west coast veteran and defensive whiz will serve as Associate Head Coach for Craig Neal. Smith bring with him plenty of west coast and regional recruiting ties, plus a reputation for developing student-athletes and being one of the hot up-and-coming coaches in the collegiate ranks.

Smith spent last season with the University of Washington under Lorenzo Romar, where the Huskies went 18-16 overall and 9-9 in league play, advancing to the NIT, where Washington lost at BYU. Last season was the second time that Smith had coached with Romar, as he got his start in coaching as a graduate assistant at Saint Louis from 1999-2001 when Romar was the coach of the Billikens.

Smith, a native of The Colony, Texas, was a graduate assistant coach at Saint Louis. Smith's duties with the Billikens included coordinating the team's video editing and film exchange, while assisting with team recruiting, scouting and strength and conditioning programs.

Washington was Smith's second Pac-12 stop after spending four seasons (2008-12) at Arizona State. While at Arizona State, the Sun Devils had a pair of 20-win seasons with Smith on the bench and advanced to the NCAA Second Round in 2009. Smith also played a vital role in developing 2009 Pac-10 Player of the Year James Harden.

Prior to joining Herb Sendek's staff at Arizona State, Smith was at Santa Clara from 2007-08 as Kerry Keating's top assistant. He helped recruit one of the top classes in the West Coast Conference during his time with the Broncos. Smith spent 2001-2007 as an assistant on the staff of Randy Bennett at Saint Mary's before joining Santa Clara. Bennett and Smith knew each other from their time on Romar's Saint Louis staff.

Saint Mary's was 2-27 the year before Bennett and Smith arrived, and the Gaels won nine games the first year, 15 the second, 19 in the third and a then-school record 25 in 2004-05. The 2004-05 team made the NCAA Tournament for just the third time in the history of the program while the 2003-04 team set a school record by scoring 2,377 points. In the first four seasons he was at SMC, the Gaels led the WCC in scoring defense.

Smith earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in communications from the University of San Diego in 1998 and was a member of the men's basketball team from 1994-99. He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99. His brother Jacori Greer is a senior defensive end at New Mexico under Bob Davie.

He has a lot of experience as an assistant.   His first head coaching job.

http://www.golobos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26000&ATCLID=209088609

Defensive Whiz? 

New Mexico had their worst Kenpom defensive ranking since 2010. Was that just a personnel issue? 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

Defensive Whiz? 

New Mexico had their worst Kenpom defensive ranking since 2010. Was that just a personnel issue? 

Neal apologists are chest thumping, saying that Smith was a great assistant, blah blah. I don't believe he was a great teacher of the game; as defensive coordinator, our defense fell off dramatically over the past 2 seasons vs. Alford coordinating defense. He was a mediocre recruiter, certainly nothing like Wyking Jones. 

But, based on the interviews of him I heard, his overall demeanor, etc., I can definitely understand why a school would give him a shot. Impressive guy, very articulate, in this case, he's an alum. You don't need to get top flight talent at USD to be competitive. If he can surround himself with good coaches, he can do well at USD...

Neal apologists are chest thumping, saying that Smith was a great assistant, blah blah. I don't believe he was a great teacher of the game; as defensive coordinator, our defense fell off dramatically over the past 2 seasons vs. Alford coordinating defense. He was a mediocre recruiter, certainly nothing like Wyking Jones. 

But, based on the interviews of him I heard, his overall demeanor, etc., I can definitely understand why a school would give him a shot. Impressive guy, very articulate, in this case, he's an alum. You don't need to get top flight talent at USD to be competitive. If he can surround himself with good coaches, he can do well at USD...

Agreed. Smith is an intelligent and articulate guy. I think he'll do well at USD, but let's not pretend like he was some sort of game changing recruiter or defensive guru. He's replaceable. 

Guest #1Stunner

my guess is his personality has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way

He was only really a candidate for 2 jobs (USD and Nevada), and was beaten out by more qualified candidates at both jobs.

As far as USD, Lamont Smith has far better references than Justin Hutson, at this point in their careers.

Defensive Whiz? 

LOL!  From the guy who suggested picking up Bhullar full court in last years game.  Maybe you should have picked up Okafor full court this year!