Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

USU QB Darrell Garretson leaves football team

It is official http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/033115aaa.html

Darrell was one of the four QBs we used last year and was responsible for some very nice wins over AFA and BYU. He throws a very nice deep ball and was the likely starter for the next two years. I will miss Darrell a great deal. Best of luck to him wherever he goes. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Any idea why? Is it because Keeton is returning?

Keeton is returning and is the defacto starter (or so I think on the outside). Even with that, DG has a redshirt year and would've been the guy next year. He probably was sick of getting passed up for Chuckie after bailing us out. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner

Too bad Keeton couldn't transfer to a different school instead. 

Darell Garretson proved to be a very good QB last season, and went 6-1 as a starter last year.

The Utes seem to struggle with finding decent QB talent lately.  Maybe they should give Darell a call?

Given Keeton's health history you'd think he would stick it out and be the #2 guy for a year, with a fair chance to be the starter if Chuckie gets hurt again.  With a mobile QB, you can never have enough backups.  As a Bronco fan, Garretson actually scared me worse than Keeton does.  I think he's a better QB...

Darell Garretson proved to be a very good QB last season, and went 6-1 as a starter last year.

The Utes seem to struggle with finding decent QB talent lately.  Maybe they should give Darell a call?

He started against:

ASU: 21-14 L (OT)

BYU: 45-24 W

AFA: 34-16 W

CSU: 16-13 L 

He was 2-2 in games he started last year, not sure where you're getting the 6-1. Kent Myers did go 5-1 as a starter. Maybe you've got them confused. 

Guest #1Stunner

He started against:

ASU: 21-14 L (OT)

BYU: 45-24 W

AFA: 34-16 W

CSU: 16-13 L 

He was 2-2 in games he started last year, not sure where you're getting the 6-1. 

My bad.  Got it mixed up.  I read this from the article:

As a freshman in 2013, Garretson played in eight games, including starting the final seven and set the Utah State record by winning his first five starts and ended the season with a 6-1 record.

Yup.. I'd take Garretson over Chuckie.

Boise has yet to play against Chuckie, but dismantled Garretson. I'm not sure what the right answer for Boise is... get a better football team? 

I was impressed with Garretson when the aggies came to FC.

Honestly, if Corey James Hadn't busted him up in the 3rd quarter.....

Then there's that Higgins character who had to ruin things..... 

Sorry to hear that for USU.  He was a legit D1A starting QB. 

Wish he could xfer inside the MWC w/o having to lose a yr.   The MWC needs to learn how to keep these type of kids.  So many teams need talent like this!

Where's he going? 

Keeton is returning and is the defacto starter (or so I think on the outside). Even with that, DG has a redshirt year and would've been the guy next year. He probably was sick of getting passed up for Chuckie after bailing us out.

They also have the kid that transferred from Oregon, correct? I don't think he had any assurances of being the starter, so he bailed.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Seems like BYU is the one with depth problems at QB right now.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Guest #1Stunner

Seems like BYU is the one with depth problems at QB right now.

I agree with that, at least for Spring.

But BYU's depth is mostly freshman / return missionaries.

Taysom Hill - Pocatello, Idaho - Senior

Tanner Mangum - Boise, Idaho - Redshirt Freshman

Beau Hoge - Kentucky (ethnic Pocatello, Idaho) - Freshman

Plus, I assumed since Garretson isn't LDS, he'd prefer a place like Utah over BYU.