Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

OT: Affordable Parachutes for High Rises & Planes

LOL at all these assumptions. Now we're at 35,000 at 500mph and 100's of people are trying to get out at the same time. Try reading the thread before you post, and understand what the assumptions are before you drop your Popsicle and have a fit. Fvck. Of course no one will survive exiting at 35k and 500mph. 

kat.jpg

LOL at all these assumptions. Now we're at 35,000 at 500mph and 100's of people are trying to get out at the same time. Try reading the thread before you post, and understand what the assumptions are before you drop your Popsicle and have a fit. Fvck. Of course no one will survive exiting at 35k and 500mph. 

most popular or widely used commercial aircraft:

Airbus 320 family: (single aisle) Typically seating 150 passengers in a two-class cabin or up to 180 in a high-density layout for low-cost and charter flights

Boeing 373 family:(single aisle) Average model seats 129 passengers in a two-class cabin, but can have as few as 110 or as many as 180 passengers

Boeing MD-80 family: (single aisle) Commonly seats 150 passengers in a two-class cabin, but can range anywhere between 130 to 172 passengers

The air traffic control tower usually assigns a cruising altitude of up to 39,000 feet, but long flights are typically assigned higher altitudes. By keeping these planes at assigned altitudes, air traffic control creates invisible stacked highways in the sky, keeping enough air space between the flights.

Now if you meant to restrict your hypothetical to general aviation aircraft then most of those planes use propellers and must cruise at lower altitudes. For example, a Cessna Skyhawk has a maximum operating altitude of 13,500 feet. It is still the case that cabin configuration, over-wing or under-wing design, door location and engine placement would further restrict the viability of jumping out of an aircraft in distress.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

most popular or widely used commercial aircraft:

Airbus 320 family: (single aisle) Typically seating 150 passengers in a two-class cabin or up to 180 in a high-density layout for low-cost and charter flights

Boeing 373 family:(single aisle) Average model seats 129 passengers in a two-class cabin, but can have as few as 110 or as many as 180 passengers

Boeing MD-80 family: (single aisle) Commonly seats 150 passengers in a two-class cabin, but can range anywhere between 130 to 172 passengers

The air traffic control tower usually assigns a cruising altitude of up to 39,000 feet, but long flights are typically assigned higher altitudes. By keeping these planes at assigned altitudes, air traffic control creates invisible stacked highways in the sky, keeping enough air space between the flights.

Now if you meant to restrict your hypothetical to general aviation aircraft then most of those planes use propellers and must cruise at lower altitudes. For example, a Cessna Skyhawk has a maximum operating altitude of 13,500 feet. It is still the case that cabin configuration, over-wing or under-wing design, door location and engine placement would further restrict the viability of jumping out of an aircraft in distress.

Read the thread and then get back to me. 

kat.jpg

If the plane is falling out of the sky it's going to be reducing altitude and air pressure difference. So if you jumped at a lower elevation it wouldn't suck everybody out of the plane, but speed could be an issue. The biggest risk is hitting the tail section of the plane when you jump out. Sometimes when the plane is going to crash it's because some engines aren't working or everything shuts down. So there was a point at which the airspeed horizontally will decrease quite a bit. But there's also the issue of once it starts falling out of the sky and the engines happen to be powering downward, speed would be a problem. It just depends on where the plane breaks down, at what starting elevation and what the problem is with the plane. That'll obviously lower or raise your chances of making it out OK. But it's better than the 100% chance of being dead option.

you mean like this post?

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

Damn, That sure was a nice thing to say. A lot of people think about this stuff, especially those that have had a scare up there. And those aren't rare on some flights over the ocean. Like I said, it's more for piece of mind than actually having to end up using it. It's something fun to talk about for some. So you're on the plane that was doomed to crash the other day......a parachute would suddenly not look so stupid then, would it. In this case you'd probably freeze to death, but still better than nothing. 

Some people are in their bubble "those things only happen to other people". My sisters best friend had a close relative on the second plane that hit the WTC on 911. Chit happens. 

then there's this post ...

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

I mean, is this the dumbest idea ever? Gimme a bourbon- I'm going down with the ship!

Yeah that's how I feel. If it's somehow safe to parachute out it's safe to land somewhere. If it isn't safe to land it sure isn't going to be possible to parachute. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I'm old enough to remember walking out to the tarmac and getting on and off the plane from that staircase. Engines would be fired up. Loud as shit

Back when I was a young kid living in Indiana in the late 70's I was at the Indianapolis airport waiting for my dad's plane to pull up.  The plane at the gate was getting ready to leave and was pushed back form the gate.  At that point the plane started to maneuver with it's engines right next to the moveable walkway.  When the plane got turned around the pilot was still using his engines to move away from the gate....bad move.  The thrust from his engines was going right into the windows of the terminal right in front of where I was sitting.  I remember the glass shaking and bending and the thunderous roar of the engines as the plane pulled away.  Somehow the glass didn't shatter all over me and several others sitting there and I remember a few people were yelling and screaming thinking all the windows were going to shatter and then get blasted with shards of glass....Crazy shit, wonder if the pilot was reprimanded by the FAA.

A lot of times they can't land without crashing because of a crucial part failure.

What crucial part failure would possibly cause that that would still allow for parachuting? Lose your ailerons or e elevators and you can't jump out just as you cant land. Lose your engine and given alritude landing isn't an issue. Lose rudders and you can still land.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Wow, you've got it all figured out. Um, sorry. There's plenty of different ways. You ought to check out some plane crash sites and check out different scenarios. 

Pilot error is always in play here. Say your plane wasn't de-iced properly and the pilot failed to take other precautions for ice build up on the wings. You're traveling along for a while and you notice you're slowing down and losing lift and altitude at a steady rate. There's no place to put it down, and even with a perfect dry runway, it would be a miracle if you could land it without crashing. It keeps dropping and crash lands into houses in a rural neighborhood. 

That's an example of a real crash in upstate NY with a Bombadeer 400 commercial jet a few years back. No survivors and people killed in houses. This would've be an easy escape with low speed and low altitude in a rural area. 

There are tons of real crashes to use as examples. 

kat.jpg

Wow, you've got it all figured out. Um, sorry. There's plenty of different ways. You ought to check out some plane crash sites and check out different scenarios. 

Pilot error is always in play here. Say your plane wasn't de-iced properly and the pilot failed to take other precautions for ice build up on the wings. You're traveling along for a while and you notice you're slowing down and losing lift and altitude at a steady rate. There's no place to put it down, and even with a perfect dry runway, it would be a miracle if you could land it without crashing. It keeps dropping and crash lands into houses in a rural neighborhood. 

That's an example of a real crash in upstate NY with a Bombadeer 400 commercial jet a few years back. No survivors and people killed in houses. This would've be an easy escape with low speed and low altitude in a rural area. 

I am unfamiliar with the Bombardier CRJ-400 (Jet) ...

but they do have a Q-400 turbo-prop -- which is about the only plane that you could possibly jump out of as it has the rear doors and T-tail design that makes it actually possible.

colganq400feb10_0.jpg?itok=uh19WcDg

But your scenario still relies on a capable pilot to hold the craft steady while the passengers evacuate. If you are referring to the crash of the Q400 in Buffalo, NY back in 2009 -- that plane was on approach and crashed about 6 miles out.  Not entirely sure if the speed and altitude would have been conducive for the 45 passengers to exit safely that night, but based on reporting the pilots qualifications were questionable as he had just upgraded from the Saab-340 and was still supposed to be training to pilot the Q400 and should not have been in command of that aircraft.

Regional Jets (like the Bombardier CRJ-200) tend to have no doors aft because that is where the engines are and not particularly safe for jumping from.

awpusx2.jpg

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

You can't jump out of an airplane at cruising altitude. You'll pass out in seconds and by the time you (maybe) wake up you'll be at terminal velocity about to hit the ground. If you happen to open your chute before you pass out....well then you're going to freeze to death.

Besides the fact you could never open the door against the pressure.

Damn, That sure was a nice thing to say. A lot of people think about this stuff, especially those that have had a scare up there. And those aren't rare on some flights over the ocean. Like I said, it's more for piece of mind than actually having to end up using it. It's something fun to talk about for some. So you're on the plane that was doomed to crash the other day......a parachute would suddenly not look so stupid then, would it. In this case you'd probably freeze to death, but still better than nothing. 

Some people are in their bubble "those things only happen to other people". My sisters best friend had a close relative on the second plane that hit the WTC on 911. Chit happens. 

Sorry bro, but I play the odds.  The odds say that I will never need a parachute, period.  Now if by random chance I happen to be on a plane that is falling out of the sky, then it just isn't my lucky day.  I will not live my life in fear of something that will probably never happen.

Dropping a couple thousand dollars on a parachute wouldn't give me piece of mind, it would be a constant reminder of how big of a chump I was.  I would probably get to the point that I would root for shit to go wrong just so I didn't waste my money.

"UNLV is just really a four year junior college with a nice stadium for the basketball team" -Adam Carolla

trailer-park-taj-mahal.jpg

Except your scenarios of pilot error does not take into account that pilot error would also make it impossible to parachute out. I mean, if it's pilot error that got you into this mess, it is unlikely that you will be able to jump out. It's very unlikely that the issue will be noticed in time to evacuate anyone. 

Secondly for your icing issue, if there's ice aren't you extremely frickin likely to freeze to death before you hit the ground? or after you hit the ground?

You just seem to really want this to work out  the way you say. Jumping out of a plane is harder than landing the plane barring something crazy like opposing fire. It's just sort of the way things are...

Except your scenarios of pilot error does not take into account that pilot error would also make it impossible to parachute out. I mean, if it's pilot error that got you into this mess, it is unlikely that you will be able to jump out. It's very unlikely that the issue will be noticed in time to evacuate anyone. 

Secondly for your icing issue, if there's ice aren't you extremely frickin likely to freeze to death before you hit the ground? or after you hit the ground?

You just seem to really want this to work out  the way you say. Jumping out of a plane is harder than landing the plane barring something crazy like opposing fire. It's just sort of the way things are...

But if the perfect storm of crazy ass scenarios plays out, you will look like a genius for dropping a couple of G's on a parachute.

"UNLV is just really a four year junior college with a nice stadium for the basketball team" -Adam Carolla

trailer-park-taj-mahal.jpg

I'm old enough to remember walking out to the tarmac and getting on and off the plane from that staircase. Engines would be fired up. Loud as shit

They still do that at many airports for shorter routes. I've used the staircase at Palm Springs, Phoenix, Charleston and overseas as well.

280px-Lucky_Diamond_Rich_face.jpg