Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

OT: Affordable Parachutes for High Rises & Planes

With all the crazy things that have been going on in planes and high rises, I thought about what a parachute costs.

For about 2k you can get a special designed parachute that's folded at the size of a small backpack. It's good to see options like this out there to give people piece of mind. And they do work. If I worked in a high rise or flew all the time, especially in Europe, I'd have one of these puppies.

http://sosparachute.com/en/site/home

kat.jpg

I agree with the premise, but try and take it through security and you will not be on the flight. You will be in a holding room trying to explain yourself.

I'm also wondering how one jumps out say the 55th floor of their high rise (mine in Manila had 64 floors and I nearly ended up on the 55th) without hitting anything below or landing someplace you shouldn't. This would have been my jump from the 64th floor down.... good luck with that. 

rsz_1rsz_1dsc01483.jpg

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Base jumping off a building is a seriously, seriously dangerous thing....even if your an expert. If your only hope is to parachute out of your 50th story window, you better hope you are somehow located on or get to the lee ward side, otherwise you're odds of survival are probably better trying to deal with whatever you are trying to get away from in the first place.  

Base jumping off a building is a seriously, seriously dangerous thing....even if your an expert. If your only hope is to parachute out of your 50th story window, you better hope you are somehow located on or get to the lee ward side, otherwise you're odds of survival are probably better trying to deal with whatever you are trying to get away from in the first place.  

Base jumpers have something like a 50% 10 year survival rate :/

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

If the plane is falling out of the sky it's going to be reducing altitude and air pressure difference. So if you jumped at a lower elevation it wouldn't suck everybody out of the plane, but speed could be an issue. The biggest risk is hitting the tail section of the plane when you jump out. Sometimes when the plane is going to crash it's because some engines aren't working or everything shuts down. So there was a point at which the airspeed horizontally will decrease quite a bit. But there's also the issue of once it starts falling out of the sky and the engines happen to be powering downward, speed would be a problem. It just depends on where the plane breaks down, at what starting elevation and what the problem is with the plane. That'll obviously lower or raise your chances of making it out OK. But it's better than the 100% chance of being dead option.

kat.jpg

Da fuq?  Is this for real?  This is one of the stupidest things that I have ever read.

"UNLV is just really a four year junior college with a nice stadium for the basketball team" -Adam Carolla

trailer-park-taj-mahal.jpg

Da fuq?  Is this for real?  This is one of the stupidest things that I have ever read.

Damn, That sure was a nice thing to say. A lot of people think about this stuff, especially those that have had a scare up there. And those aren't rare on some flights over the ocean. Like I said, it's more for piece of mind than actually having to end up using it. It's something fun to talk about for some. So you're on the plane that was doomed to crash the other day......a parachute would suddenly not look so stupid then, would it. In this case you'd probably freeze to death, but still better than nothing. 

Some people are in their bubble "those things only happen to other people". My sisters best friend had a close relative on the second plane that hit the WTC on 911. Chit happens. 

kat.jpg

Guest Dr. Dre

Damn, That sure was a nice thing to say. A lot of people think about this stuff, especially those that have had a scare up there. And those aren't rare on some flights over the ocean. Like I said, it's more for piece of mind than actually having to end up using it. It's something fun to talk about for some. So you're on the plane that was doomed to crash the other day......a parachute would suddenly not look so stupid then, would it. In this case you'd probably freeze to death, but still better than nothing. 

Some people are in their bubble "those things only happen to other people". My sisters best friend had a close relative on the second plane that hit the WTC on 911. Chit happens. 

So tell me how 200 people are gonna parachute outta jet plane going 500 mph in a dive at 35K feet with 8 doors (two forward, two aft, and four over the wings)? "You are sitting in an emergency row. Do you choose to help out in the event of an emergency Mr. Convert, or are you just gonna open the door and literally 'pull the chute'?" Oh wait, we can install 200 F-18 ejector seats on the Airbus 319s! Do you understand that you wouldn't survive jumping out of a plane in that situation? Are you really this stuipid?

Don't answer that.

You can't jump out of an airplane at cruising altitude. You'll pass out in seconds and by the time you (maybe) wake up you'll be at terminal velocity about to hit the ground. If you happen to open your chute before you pass out....well then you're going to freeze to death.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

So tell me how 200 people are gonna parachute outta jet plane going 500 mph in a dive at 35K feet with 8 doors (two forward, two aft, and four over the wings)? "You are sitting in an emergency row. Do you choose to help out in the event of an emergency Mr. Convert, or are you just gonna open the door and literally 'pull the chute'?" Oh wait, we can install 200 F-18 ejector seats on the Airbus 319s! Do you understand that you wouldn't survive jumping out of a plane in that situation? Are you really this stuipid?

Don't answer that.

Could you imagine this? Somebody on your armrest or fell asleep on your shoulder, well just eject them from the airplane. I can see the CNN headlines already "Man ejects wife from airplane for refusing to join the mile high club".

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Mug,  You're right, but an airplane in trouble will eventually lose altitude. Look at all the B-17 Bomber crewmen in WWII over Germany that bailed out of their spinning and nose diving falls at or near terminal velocity. Or even when the plane broke apart because of the fall speed. It can be done.

if I owned a single engine Cessna, I'd definitely have a way to bail out. Those things crash all the time. 

kat.jpg

Mug,  You're right, but an airplane in trouble will eventually lose altitude. Look at all the B-17 Bomber crewmen in WWII over Germany that bailed out of their spinning and nose diving falls at or near terminal velocity. Or even when the plane broke apart because of the fall speed. It can be done.

if I owned a single engine Cessna, I'd definitely have a way to bail out. Those things crash all the time. 

All the crew had parachutes on the B-17 over Germany and the pilots only needed a HS education for training because of the high rate of getting shot down. First hit I'm outta here.