Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZK686

What's a smaller town in your area that's a "hidden gem"?

Everything around Vegas is horrible. But moapa is maybe the most decent place I've seen. That is if you like your women looking like Laura on little house on the prairie. For LA area, ventura county is the only thing that hasn't been ruined. Ventura, SP, Fillmore, Ojai. Too bad they can't annex oxnard. I guess sdsu is left out of this discussion.

Oxnard gets such a bad rep, but it's not that bad. Granted it is no small town gem. That's what happens when you're most populous city in a county.There's a lot of nice developments going up in Oxnard.

I had an uncle who lived in Pleasanton, he said it was beautiful up there.

It's a great town. Lots of cool resturaunts downtown and has an urban, but small town feel to it. Unfortunately, like all towns that are appealing in the Bay Area, the price tag goes up.

pahrump is a dump, but pioche is a cool little town. but i like caliente better.

That was my choice as well, just a cool little town with some hot springs. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Oxnard gets such a bad rep, but it's not that bad. Granted it is no small town gem. That's what happens when you're most populous city in a county.There's a lot of nice developments going up in Oxnard.

I'm from Oxnard, and I disagree.

It's getting bad. When I was growing up, there was only one bad part in the entire city, and that was the east side, La Colonia.

Now, it's bad all over. Gangs have pretty much moved into all the areas, including the West side where all the beaches are.

It's terrible, even my grandmother said her neighborhood had gotten so bad, and she lived in what used to be a very nice part of Oxnard.

1MXnKMV.jpg

Yeah. I actually live in Exeter, too.

That IS a cool lite town you got there. I'd live in the trashiest city as long as it was in the mountains.

That looks like pikes peak to me.

Manitou springs or Woodland park Colorado.

I'm from Oxnard, and I disagree.

It's getting bad. When I was growing up, there was only one bad part in the entire city, and that was the east side, La Colonia.

Now, it's bad all over. Gangs have pretty much moved into all the areas, including the West side where all the beaches are.

It's terrible, even my grandmother said her neighborhood had gotten so bad, and she lived in what used to be a very nice part of Oxnard.

I spend time in Ox and while there are some sore looking blocks, I just don't see the extreme ghetto that gets mentioned often. I was raised in South Central, so maybe that's why I find it hard to truly see Ox a ghetto. And I've seen some ghetto places that remind me of South Central. Ox isn't one of them. Also, more than half the time when I'm having a conversation with a person and they say so and so area is ghetto, I realize that that person has never experienced life in an extreme poverty stricken area. Again, having been raised in South Central makes me bias of what ghetto truly is.

Whenever a Californian asks where a hidden gem is, the proper response is, "We don't have any, our entire state is a shi+hole, our citizens are a bunch of inbread hillbilly's that will tie you to a fence: you have no reason to visit. Don't tell your friends about us and whatever you do, don't buy any real estate. We're all full on Californians, thanks for asking."

You might have a hard time getting Wyoming citizens to fill you in on our "hidden gems".

I do hear that Baggs is really nice in the spring.

If there is a hidden gem in Cali...Bishop should be on top of the list.  Small town with a lot of upside.  Close to the Whitney portal, Basque Bakery, kick ass smokehouse (mahogany smoked bacon by the whole slab...and a crapload of jerkey)

Galena, Illinois. Family has weekend house there (white house to the left of clock tower building).

Great restaurants, shops, and some decent skiing (which overlooks the Mississippi) fifteen

minutes away.

cfiles39900.jpg

galena-main.jpg

Chestnut-Skiing.jpg

That's a cool looking town. But skiing in Illinois? I guess crappy skiing is still better than no skiing.

Gilroy is not a "gem". 

Yea, I get that. But a lot of these places have their moments.

Even Clovis, where I live isn't really a "gem", it's more about the events throughout the year. The Rodeo, Big Hat Days, and the Wine Walks to name a few...

1MXnKMV.jpg