Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Zimmerman - UNLV

hypnotic_red_web_by_hypnoticvampire19-d5

You Want to be a Rebel!

People judging Rice's personality based on his courtside demeanor is pretty laughable. I'm sure Rice is capable of having intelligent, insightful conversations that recruits really appreciate. I'm also pretty sure he is almost just like Coach K.

UNLV signs Zimmerman, has a good / great season, extends Rice, loses Zimmerman to the draft, and then what? To me this is more pressure for both?

why would they extend rice?

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

why would they extend rice?

Because recruits who plan on ebing around 3 or 4 years want to know the coach will be around.

If Rice is constantly held in a lame duck situation, it could hurt recruiting - 

People judging Rice's personality based on his courtside demeanot is pretty laughable. I'm sure Rice is capable of having intelligent, insightful conversations that recruits really appreciate. I'm pretty sure he is almost just like Coach K.

I see some similarities with coach K, he almost got ran out of Town in 83' before becoming respectable. I was watching the 30 for 30 Laettner special and there were a lot of folks that wanted him gone. I mean Coach K had a really bad start at Duke until recruiting picked up and Coach K really got going when he got Laettner. I don't see Zimm having Laettners demeanor but could have a similar impact on Rices career.

I see some similarities with coach K, he almost got ran out of Town in 83' before becoming respectable. I was watching the 30 for 30 Laettner special and there were a lot of folks that wanted him gone. I mean Coach K had a really bad start at Duke until recruiting picked up and Coach K really got going when he got Laettner. I don't see Zimm having Laettners demeanor but could have a similar impact on Rices career.

These are my thoughts too, I definitely think Zimm could be a transformational player for Rice .

The difference here is that CD-R has hit out of the ballpark from day one with top recruits and has gone in an opposite direction each year in terms of success.

These are my thoughts too, I definitely think Zimm could be a transformational player for Rice .

Really?

He doesn't seem all that to me. He is a very good all around big, but I don't see much that screams elite talent. Especially for one freshman year.

I don't think recruits think about how Bennett has done in the NBA from a statistics standpoint...they just care that he was the top pick in the draft.

That is absolutely what it is. Bennett was not projected to be #1 by any stretch, and when his name was called, recruits see that rice developed a player to be the #1 pick. It doesn't matter what Bennett has done since, they can blame that on Bennett himself. They want the same development...

Really?

He doesn't seem all that to me. He is a very good all around big, but I don't see much that screams elite talent. Especially for one freshman year.

i guess we'll find out. i've made my thoughts known on the kid

natural for any fan to say a player going to their team is better than a player going elsewhere really 

Excellent 30 for 30, btw. I don't think some realized what a bad ass Laettner really was. He wasn't just the guy who hit that shot. It was him fighting the world literally every game. I didn't know about the dynamic between him and Hurley either...tenuous but really got the most out of those teams.

Because recruits who plan on ebing around 3 or 4 years want to know the coach will be around.

If Rice is constantly held in a lame duck situation, it could hurt recruiting - 

He has a contract that has years left on it. He wouldn't be a lame duck if the admin gave him a vote of confidence. I could see if he only had one year left on the contract, but I think he has a few, right?

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

Rice is a great salesman, no question, and he has surrounded himself with some good ones who have strong connections with certain people at the prep/grassroots level.  They do a great job selling prospects on concepts such as freedom and how they will showcase their individual talents.  Some even point to promising certain on court things to players.  Most players, parents, “advisors” want to hear this.  Bennett going number one overall obviously didn’t hurt. 

Although they do a great job selling, the real work comes once the players arrive on campus.  When you are over selling, making promises to too many, that oftentimes is going to catch up with you as there are only so many minutes/shots to go around.  I don’t doubt that has led to some of the locker room frustration and transfers which have occurred over the last couple of seasons.   

I also wonder how many of these kids truly are coming to UNLV to actually build something, or does it have far more to do with simply using an opportunity to enhance their pro aspirations.  This is a delicate balancing act other programs certainly have to deal with.  If the pendulum is too much in favor of the name on the back of the jersey instead of the front your chances of success diminish quite a bit.  Saw this early on with Jerry at Fresno State. 

He has a contract that has years left on it. He wouldn't be a lame duck if the admin gave him a vote of confidence. I could see if he only had one year left on the contract, but I think he has a few, right?

Rice has 2 or 3 years left on his contract, but with the public way UNLV was "deciding" on Rice's status, it's pretty common knowledge that Rice needs to perform and next year could be his final year if the results aren't what UNLV expects...........and coaches can & will use this against Rice & UNLV on the recruiting trail.

Rice is a great salesman, no question, and he has surrounded himself with some good ones who have strong connections with certain people at the prep/grassroots level.  They do a great job selling prospects on concepts such as freedom and how they will showcase their individual talents.  Some even point to promising certain on court things to players.  Most players, parents, “advisors” want to hear this.  Bennett going number one overall obviously didn’t hurt. 

Although they do a great job selling, the real work comes once the players arrive on campus.  When you are over selling, making promises to too many, that oftentimes is going to catch up with you as there are only so many minutes/shots to go around.  I don’t doubt that has led to some of the locker room frustration and transfers which have occurred over the last couple of seasons.   

I also wonder how many of these kids truly are coming to UNLV to actually build something, or does it have far more to do with simply using an opportunity to enhance their pro aspirations.  This is a delicate balancing act other programs certainly have to deal with.  If the pendulum is too much in favor of the name on the back of the jersey instead of the front your chances of success diminish quite a bit.  Saw this early on with Jerry at Fresno State. 

Ernie...answer this question honestly, do you have something against Rice? Do you like him?

You can end the discussion about Zimm to UNLV, it isn't going to happen. He is waiting for Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, and Arizona to see what they got for big men and then he will decide which of those schools to go to. If he was going to go to UNLV he would have already done so.

come on.

Can we please stop comparing Rice to hall of fame coaches....

rice did not inherent a program that needed to rebuilt. Kruger had a solid foundation in place that was setup for success for the next guy.

He wasn't trolling. He actually believes rice is hall of fame material.