Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoser

Lobos at TT this week

I think it'll be like the UT game. Lobos show up in the 1st half and run out of steam in the 2nd half.

That will be the story for this team most of the year. I think once TT is out of the way UNM could very well be 3-3 heading in to the Hawaii game.

If SDS was playing TT this weekend you would be getting your moral victory calculator warmed up as well, trust me on that one.

Not even the real UTEP knows anything about "moral victories"....that's how much they are accustomed to losing.

roflbot.jpg

Unfortunately, UNM had to schedule the bodybag game against Texas because of declining attendance under the Locksley years, and the Locksley buyout itself. A million dollars will help offset the attendance red. The Texas Tech series has been off and on UNM's schedule for years, and I'm assuming was added to the schedule several years ago.

UNM's true frosh QB has a brutal stretch of games to cut his teeth (Texas, Texas Tech and Boise) with NMSU being the only realistic shot at competitiveness.

What happened to all of his recruits? All I saw on here the last three years was how he was taking New Mexico recruiting to a new level. They said Rocky was the one who left the cupboard bare and the team would improve as his recruits gained experience. Did all of those transfers and D.C. area players he recruited leave?

This is giving up quick. Boise State hasn't even scored an offensive touchdown yet this year.

I think the team is headed in the right direction. They played UT really tough in Austin for a half. A couple of breaks and it could have been 10-10 at the half. Once the 2nd half began, Texas' depth became too much and they wore UNM out. My guess is it will be a similar situation with BSU and Texas Tech. However, I think the Lobos have a really decent shot to get 4 or 5 wins this year, something I thought was impossible just a couple of months ago. The culture change has been that drastic. UNM has some talent at the skill positions (particularly WR and RB), but they have zero depth.

At UNM the Lobo football coaches don't make their own schedule... The AD does, and when the athletic department needs extra bank they send the football team out to whore itself... (To those that say we prostitute our football program for the buyout of Locksley... BS, the million dollars made by the flat back games actual goes into the general athletics fund, not to just football.)

=================

Attendance started to decline at UNM about 5-6 years ago and the answer to all of this was to go on the road and get our butts handed to us... We used to do the same crap a couple of decades ago until Dennis Franchione became our coach put a stop to these games and started bringing winnable games into the stadium, as he won Lobo attendance shot up and we ended up in our first bowl game. Rocky Long takes over and uses the same method to start his career here, with winnable games, as things started to build up, he started going after tougher schedules and what that brought. One of the reasons Rocky left IMHO is because they took the scheduling away from him.

When Coach Davie was asked Tuesday at his press conference if he wanted to renew the series with Texas Tech and how he felt about these kind of games he answered back... "What is our record against Texas Tech?" (Answer UNM has won 1 out of the last 14 times they played and haven't won a game in the state of Texas since 2006)

According to someone listing to Davie's radio show tonight... We have Texas A&M next year, the following year start a series with ASU which is not a body bag, but then whore out to USC. I'm one of those that is of the opinion of we need to stop these games as we lose out more on the back end getting whacked by these teams as people don't want to go see a "loser" that is getting blown out.

-------------------

As far as Saturday's game vs. Texas Tech... I think the score is going to be worse for UNM than the Texas game. Tech has the little brother complex and are going to run the score up big time. Also, I think Tech's passing game has always given the Lobo football program a tough time and one of our bigger weakness this year is the secondary... I see Dogee or whatever the heck his name is putting sick numbers on my Lobos!

trm101.jpg?t=1279010041

What happened to all of his recruits? All I saw on here the last three years was how he was taking New Mexico recruiting to a new level. They said Rocky was the one who left the cupboard bare and the team would improve as his recruits gained experience. Did all of those transfers and D.C. area players he recruited leave?

A lot of them transferred out when Locksley was canned. A bunch of others never even qualified. A few have stayed. The biggest problem is not talent. There is some talent on the team. It is depth. With the transfers plus the scholarship limitations the last three years because of sanctions on Rocky's staff, we are at about 65 players on the roster.

At UNM the Lobo football coaches don't make their own schedule... The AD does, and when the athletic department needs extra bank they send the football team out to whore itself... (To those that say we prostitute our football program for the buyout of Locksley... BS, the million dollars made by the flat back games actual goes into the general athletics fund, not to just football.)

=================

Attendance started to decline at UNM about 5-6 years ago and the answer to all of this was to go on the road and get our butts handed to us... We used to do the same crap a couple of decades ago until Dennis Franchione became our coach put a stop to these games and started bringing winnable games into the stadium, as he won Lobo attendance shot up and we ended up in our first bowl game. Rocky Long takes over and uses the same method to start his career here, with winnable games, as things started to build up, he started going after tougher schedules and what that brought. One of the reasons Rocky left IMHO is because they took the scheduling away from him.

When Coach Davie was asked Tuesday at his press conference if he wanted to renew the series with Texas Tech and how he felt about these kind of games he answered back... "What is our record against Texas Tech?" (Answer UNM has won 1 out of the last 14 times they played and haven't won a game in the state of Texas since 2006)

According to someone listing to Davie's radio show tonight... We have Texas A&M next year, the following year start a series with ASU which is not a body bag, but then whore out to USC. I'm one of those that is of the opinion of we need to stop these games as we lose out more on the back end getting whacked by these teams as people don't want to go see a "loser" that is getting blown out.

-------------------

As far as Saturday's game vs. Texas Tech... I think the score is going to be worse for UNM than the Texas game. Tech has the little brother complex and are going to run the score up big time. Also, I think Tech's passing game has always given the Lobo football program a tough time and one of our bigger weakness this year is the secondary... I see Dogee or whatever the heck his name is putting sick numbers on my Lobos!

I have to agree. As highly regarded Texas is, TT is a worse match up because they are a better passing team. If UNM manages to control the clock and this time actually score when they drive to their opponents 35yd line (3x vs Texas = 0pts) they can stay close to TT.

UNM ran the ball well the first have vs Texas and against a softer TT defense UNM must take advantage.

roflbot.jpg

It'd be great if you guys would take down Texas Tech. Worst fans in the B12.

Frog Barrister: and exactly how many Big XII Conference games has TCU played? You should know full well that no school is immune from bad fan behavior, including Texas Christian. Good luck to your Frogs this weekend and during the season. The Tech / TCU game ought to be a good one.

=================

-------------------

You bet, there's a strong possibility that Tech's passing game presents serious problems for New Mexico tomorrow. Seth Doege is quite capable of distributing the ball to multiple receivers, yet Tech's rush defense, in particular, is one aspect that the Lobos may be able to exploit. Nonetheless, Tech ought to win by a wide margin, say thirty of forty points.

With regard to its upcoming schedules, the Lobos are ambitious to schedule Texas A&M and Southern California. Texas Tech is a long-standing rivalry game that dates from 1932 with the Raiders leading the all-time series 36-6-2. The renewal of the Lobos' series against Arizona State ought to please the Sun Devils; the latter had some success against New Mexico during their Border Conference days, but once the Lobos left the conference in 1950 the two teams did not play again until 1965 when both were members of the Western Athletic Conference, and ASU defeated New Mexico each season from 1965 to 1977, and the teams haven't played since. Good to see this one renewed.

Wreck 'Em Tech! Beat New Mexico!

Texas Tech is a long-standing rivalry game that dates from 1932 with the Raiders leading the all-time series 36-6-2.

There is no way that Texas Tech considers this a rivalry game with the all-time series record being what it is. This must be a lot like the Colorado-Nebraska supposed rivalry in that it was only a rivalry to Colorado.

masterfrog: Perhaps neither Texas Tech nor New Mexico considers this game a rivalry game, which may very well be the case. The fact remains that the two teams have played each other forty-four times with Tech winning the vast majority of the games, and the Raiders ought to win again tomorrow. Perhaps you take exception to the use of the word "rivalry"; maybe you prefer "series"? Wreck 'Em Tech!