Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndreAztec

SDSU AD Jim Sterk "Its not all done yet...

It will be Air Force.

Air Force is western, has great academics, isn't too far west, and is the preferred choice over Fresno for the eastern Big East schools. Air Force is a natural match to Navy. TV partners also probably prefer Air Force over Fresno.

This

Which is the right decision

Don't even bother to try and argue, this is the same fanbase that carried on the BYU replaygate thread well into CBB season last year and the same ones who dogged on BYU moving down to "high school gyms" in the WCC. If the WCC play in high school gyms where do Big West schools play? Grade School Gyms? Catholic Church Gyms? Bingo Halls? Apartment Complex asphalt courts that double as tennis courts?

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Which is the right decision

Disagree. The various sports don't lose anythinng (competitvely speaking) simply by not playing in the same conference. Way too many other factors, with increased money being the biggest. Anything an athletic department can do to increase revenue will put the entire department in a better place in the future. As for the athletes that play a sport not named football or basketball, most of those kids aren't in it for stadium size or games on TV, they just want to compete, doesn't matter where.

Don't even bother to try and argue, this is the same fanbase that carried on the BYU replaygate thread well into CBB season last year and the same ones who dogged on BYU moving down to "high school gyms" in the WCC. If the WCC play in high school gyms where do Big West schools play? Grade School Gyms? Catholic Church Gyms? Bingo Halls? Apartment Complex asphalt courts that double as tennis courts?

Far be it for me to agree with a Rebel fan :D but trust me when I say this irony was NOT lost on me. I think I pointed it out plenty on the board and was actually surprised it didn't gain more traction around here.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Tough call. It's a toss up for who goes to the BE with Fresno and Air Force. The way I see it here is the pros and cons for both.

Fresno State

Pros

1) Probably more willing than Air Force to entertain the option of the move

2) Another potential California media market

3) They don't want to give any more potential recruiting edge to the other California/PAC 12 teams. As is they lose recruits to the PAC 12 and some to other BCS Schools, Boise State and San Diego State

4) Gives them the ability to continue on in conference with two rivalries (BSU and SDSU)

5) Gives the BE another program with an overall winning record and seriously hurts the Mountain West/Alliance in terms of viability as a football conference (they cannot afford to lose ANY program with an overall winning record at this point)

Cons

1) Not the most desirable from a National media market perspective, they don't have much respect beyond the regional level

2) The program has some serious rebuilding to do to turn them around into a winning program again

Air Force

Pros

1) Arguably one of the top 2 most desirable non-BCS schools at this point

2) National fan-base and BCS-sized stadium

3) Would be a home run for the BE and an absolute disaster for the alliance (losing the last national fanbase/media market in the conference), would be a serious boost in media revenue for all parties involved

4) Gives the BE another program with an overall winning record

5) Would allow Air Force to continue it's armed service rivalry with Navy (note that game is in Jeopardy in the future as per the Navy AD director, Navy might discontinue the series due to scheduling issues) and you CANNOT discount the value of an armed service rivalry in conference.

6) Would make it so that Navy wouldn't have a recruiting edge over them. Say what you will, Navy will have a slight edge over the other service academies in this regard. People interested in the armed services with a love for football would give more consideration to the Navy in this regard.

Cons

1) Potential loss of rivalries with CSU and Wyoming (I know that one is kind of a biggie with Air Force fans)

2) The armed services aren't as motivated by money as state/private schools, then again with the deficit being what it is the government may put pressure on them to find ways to start bringing in revenue

Don't look now but your doofus president has already said he won't split up UNLV's mighty football team from the rest of your sports.

But what has the Board of Regents said? So far nothing except they are pissed off at the BC$.

I would prefer UNLV keep its sports together, but if the offer presents itself, I wouldn't be surprised at an acceptance with Smatresk saving face by saying the BOR made him do it.

Again, I would prefer to stay in a conference where we can have all our sports in it. I see potential for UNLV to actually start to grow its football program with the weaker competition in the Alliance/future MWC. Maybe if after a few years of bowl games, and the very likely increase in attendance and revenue that comes with it, the stadium proposal won't seem so pie in the sky and we might get a shot at an invite to a better conf.

Lots of "if's" and "might's" there, but I have no problem with UNLV standing pat for now.

Tough call. It's a toss up for who goes to the BE with Fresno and Air Force. The way I see it here is the pros and cons for both.

Fresno State

Pros

1) Probably more willing than Air Force to entertain the option of the move

2) Another potential California media market

3) They don't want to give any more potential recruiting edge to the other California/PAC 12 teams. As is they lose recruits to the PAC 12 and some to other BCS Schools, Boise State and San Diego State

4) Gives them the ability to continue on in conference with two rivalries (BSU and SDSU)

5) Gives the BE another program with an overall winning record and seriously hurts the Mountain West/Alliance in terms of viability as a football conference (they cannot afford to lose ANY program with an overall winning record at this point)

Cons

1) Not the most desirable from a National media market perspective, they don't have much respect beyond the regional level

2) The program has some serious rebuilding to do to turn them around into a winning program again

Air Force

Pros

1) Arguably one of the top 2 most desirable non-BCS schools at this point

2) National fan-base and BCS-sized stadium

3) Would be a home run for the BE and an absolute disaster for the alliance (losing the last national fanbase/media market in the conference), would be a serious boost in media revenue for all parties involved

4) Gives the BE another program with an overall winning record

5) Would allow Air Force to continue it's armed service rivalry with Navy (note that game is in Jeopardy in the future as per the Navy AD director, Navy might discontinue the series due to scheduling issues) and you CANNOT discount the value of an armed service rivalry in conference.

6) Would make it so that Navy wouldn't have a recruiting edge over them. Say what you will, Navy will have a slight edge over the other service academies in this regard. People interested in the armed services with a love for football would give more consideration to the Navy in this regard.

Cons

1) Potential loss of rivalries with CSU and Wyoming (I know that one is kind of a biggie with Air Force fans)

2) The armed services aren't as motivated by money as state/private schools, then again with the deficit being what it is the government may put pressure on them to find ways to start bringing in revenue

Bulldog stadium hold 41,031 vs Falcon stadium holds 46,692. Hardly a so called BCS stadium over Fresno. As for not much respect outside the regional level...I hope you can backup that statement up with a link. Remember we play anyone, anytime, anywhere and have done it multiple times, not to mention we play a tough OOC schedule year in and year out.

But what has the Board of Regents said? So far nothing except they are pissed off at the BC$.

I would prefer UNLV keep its sports together, but if the offer presents itself, I wouldn't be surprised at an acceptance with Smatresk saving face by saying the BOR made him do it.

Again, I would prefer to stay in a conference where we can have all our sports in it. I see potential for UNLV to actually start to grow its football program with the weaker competition in the Alliance/future MWC. Maybe if after a few years of bowl games, and the very likely increase in attendance and revenue that comes with it, the stadium proposal won't seem so pie in the sky and we might get a shot at an invite to a better conf.

Lots of "if's" and "might's" there, but I have no problem with UNLV standing pat for now.

I think Smatresk is pretty much the contemporary version of former SDSU President Weber.

Weber similarly did a great job upgrading academics but hired a couple idiot ADs (Livengood was a terrible hire) and just didn't see the big picture when it comes to sports. In fact, rumor has had it on the SDSU board - and nobody has ever tried to refute it - that after SDSU failed to get Rick Majerus after a month-long courtship and Steve Fisher then called SDSU and was hired, there was a rather famous meeting between the two in 1998. At said meeting, Fish allegedly told Weber that SDSU could never fill Cox - now Viejas - Arena unless some things changed. I can't recall all of them but they included things like the fact students' athletics fee hadn't been increased since before I graduated in 1981, that SDSU not only had a more restrictive admissions policy for athletes than required by the CSU chancellor's office, the policy was more restrictive than required by the conference, etc. The story goes that somebody thereafter clued Weber in as to how much potential revenue the university was losing because of lost ticket sales, alumni contributions and the like and things gradually changed.

UNLV is paying its football coach the lowest salary in the MWC. When Tom Craft replaced Ted Tollner in 2001, Craft was the lowest paid coach in the conference. It wasn't until a scandal with the athletics equipment room and Craft getting the football program in hot water with the NCAA and the chancellor's office a couple years later that things REALLY started to change. Here's hoping that if there is a scandal surrounding Hauck that it has the same silver lining for UNLV.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I think Smatresk is pretty much the contemporary version of former SDSU President Weber.

Weber similarly did a great job upgrading academics but hired a couple idiot ADs (Livengood was a terrible hire) and just didn't see the big picture when it comes to sports. In fact, rumor has had it on the SDSU board - and nobody has ever tried to refute it - that after SDSU failed to get Rick Majerus after a month-long courtship and Steve Fisher then called SDSU and was hired, there was a rather famous meeting between the two in 1998. At said meeting, Fish allegedly told Weber that SDSU could never fill Cox - now Viejas - Arena unless some things changed. I can't recall all of them but they included things like the fact students' athletics fee hadn't been increased since before I graduated in 1981, that SDSU not only had a more restrictive admissions policy for athletes than required by the CSU chancellor's office, the policy was more restrictive than required by the conference, etc. The story goes that somebody thereafter clued Weber in as to how much potential revenue the university was losing because of lost ticket sales, alumni contributions and the like and things gradually changed.

UNLV is paying its football coach the lowest salary in the MWC. When Tom Craft replaced Ted Tollner in 2001, Craft was the lowest paid coach in the conference. It wasn't until a scandal with the athletics equipment room and Craft getting the football program in hot water with the NCAA and the chancellor's office a couple years later that things REALLY started to change. Here's hoping that if there is a scandal surrounding Hauck that it has the same silver lining for UNLV.

That's very interesting, I do think that UNLV much like SDSU for too long has resisted putting $$$ into the football prgram to improve the situation. It did appear that John Robinson was going to turn things around but he made a mistake by taking on the AD role. It just added too much to his plate when you consider the declining health of his wife. He was also at a time in his life where he could fail and it wouldn't be the end of the world. He had 5 years and got us to verge of a top 25 program but Thomas never fully healing from his injury and not having a capable backup in place really hurt the team. When Robinson left I fully thought Sanford would be the right hire, if he could have found a defense he might have been but his faults were he was never willing to accept blame for the the lack of success, he threw kids under the bus and to me that's is 100% unacceptable as a college coach. "well we just didn't execute but the gameplan was right" was he famous line. After two years of Hauck the program is stagnant and appears to be going nowhere fast. Hauck wasn't my guy, I wanted Sonny Dykes who has done a great job at LaTech but Livengood was at U of A with him and trusted that if Livengood didn't go with him there must have been a reason. I'm on board with Livengood as I think he gets it but at the end of the day football is an anchor on the rest of the athletic programs and if they don't get it turned around it's gonna be Livengood's head on the chopping block.

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Yes, they would, but that's besides the point. If SDSU joins BSU and AFA in the WAC, it would just add more stability to that conference as a Oly only conference. The WAC isn't folding as a conference, no matter how much you may wish it so...

The expenses associated with moving OLY sports to WAC versus the Big West would be significant. It can't be something that SDSU wants. They would prefer, I am sure, staying in the Big West and adding Fresno and Boise as 11 and 12.

that would be my guess also. Still not sure how thrilled AF would be to put their other sports in the WAC. 100% sure Fresno would do it for many reasons

a.)money

b.) get back with SDSU. Right now all 3 CSU's are in different conferences (SDSU-BE/BW Fresno MW SJSU WAC).

c.) The BW brings back old rivals and saves lots of money. Plus it is a better baseball conference.

Yep the dollars make the most sense for Fresno. The savings alone from putting its Oly sports in the Big West would be significant even if Football were the same. Also unlike UNLV, Fresno has no basketball credits to lose and we don't draw well in basketball anyway so going to the Big West would not be he same financial impact that it would to UNLV.

AF going would mean that SDSU was leaving the Big West to go the WAC if you believes the AD's statement. Would they do that? It seems highly unlikely. Personally, as a basketball fan I would love to see AF go and have the MWC invite LB State and Creighton and look to be the best conference in basketball west of the Rockies.

Bulldog stadium hold 41,031 vs Falcon stadium holds 46,692. Hardly a so called BCS stadium over Fresno. As for not much respect outside the regional level...I hope you can backup that statement up with a link. Remember we play anyone, anytime, anywhere and have done it multiple times, not to mention we play a tough OOC schedule year in and year out.

Thank you addressing that post because I did not want to waste my time addressing ignorance.

I want Fresno, but I saw pictures of that empty stadium last year. Place had like 300 people in it counting the band and cheerleaders.

yeah at times it was pretty scary and that was because people had it with Hill's performance against Boise and all his master excuses. CSU head coach was under Hill for awhile and they are starting to see the type of shyte we put up with Hill. I love Hill and he has done alot for Fresno State but it was time and had been time for a while since 2005 when he shyte the bed against USC & Boise. To sum it all up it was a lot of speak and little results that were promised.

This year we will see a steady build in fanbase. CTD does really say much and just works steady on the issues. I think our fanbase will appreciate this a lot more.

UNLV will be a player. UNLV is all that holds the MWC together at this point. UNLV bounces and the whole thing collapses that DAY!

Your nuts. Outside of Nevada, UNLV might be the school least cared about in the MWC. Fresno cares about Hawaii and Nevada. New Mexico, AF, C-State and Wyoming all care about each other and they all fall apart because UNLV leaves.... lol

In terms of the NBE they already took Memphis. Do you think they can afford to take UNLV and have another program where football is an afterthought? Heck maybe they should take you and New Mexico and solve all the alliances problems relating to low RPI teams. Boise would love a schedule with you, New Mexico and Memphis as staples every year.

Air Force may be the preferred choice of the Eastern Big East schools, but I think Fresno is the preferred choice of the Western Big East schools. Also, AFA presents some problems. They have already turned them down, they want to stay with CSU and Wyoming, they have no where to put their OLY sports, and it doesn't do anything to for WAC stability (Boise OLY). The WCC is not going to take AFA. The Big West is not going to take AFA. Fresno would seem like the easiest solution to all of those problems. Fresno and Boise to Big West providing major stability to Fresno, Boise, and San Diego State's OLY sports. The Big West would be drooling over the rivalry and programs of that trio. I am fine either way. My dream would be for Fresno-Boise-San Diego-Nevada-Hawaii-UNLV to all be together, but I'll be fine staying in the MWC/Alliance with Hawaii, Nevada, and UNLV or going to the Western Big East with Boise and San Diego State. But's it's easy to see why Fresno would be a clean and easy get for the Western Big East.

Yep I agree.... Just so I am clear my dream would also have been a 12 team MWC with Fresno, Boise, SDSU, Nevada, Hawaii and UNLV. But like kids whose parents divorced we may be asked to chose and either choice is slightly sub-optimal.