Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrueLobo

Way to go Yootep!

BJ Miner,

Please remind me how many times you've beaten Boise in the last 5 years?

UTEP and Fresno State (and all the WAC) are winless against Boise....

All the MWC is winless against Boise too. Tell me....is that why you stop scheduling Boise? Got tired of getting spanked by the Broncos? Boise is 2-0 against the Bobos.

UTEP and Fresno State (and all the WAC) are winless against Boise....

All the MWC is winless against Boise too. Tell me....is that why you stop scheduling Boise? Got tired of getting spanked by the Broncos? Boise is 2-0 against the Bobos.

First off, i'm not the one talking smack to Boise St. like your boy. Secondly the Rock will play anyone anywhere as long as they are willing to return the game. Just like Mizzou will come to Albuquerque next year.

Now UNM can talk all the smack it want's against UPET who it's owned in football.

SERIES INFORMATION (73rd Meeting) -- UNM leads 41-28-3 overall while the Miners have a slim 19-16-2 lead in El Paso.

New Mexico has a 24-7 series lead against the Miners since 1970, including 17 straight victories from 1970-86

Stick that in your crack pipe and smoke it. :D:P :lol:

NMSporter,

Still....UTEP owns UNM in the Sun Bowl. This Saturday will be no exception. Wasn't your AD begging our AD to renew the series? It seems to me UNM needs UTEP more than the other way.

And it's good your coach and AD are signing one and one games. AD Bob Stull and Coach Price are doing the same thing at UTEP. Oregon and Louisville were in our schedule this year....they didn't want to sign 1 and 1's....UTEP gave them the boot. Texas Tech agreed for a one and one...starting next year in El Paso. There's rumors Missouri is interested in a series too. Having a coach like Mike Price and an athletic department that is committed to win helps a lot.

NMSporter,

Still....UTEP owns UNM in the Sun Bowl.

Uh no. 19-16-2 is hardly owning us in your house. We have 3 more games in the 4 game series we signed back in 2001. When it's over the series will be 19-18-2 in El Paso.

As for the Begging get real. Both AD's know the series is a financial windfall for both institutions. Believe me Davalos would not bet UPET for anything.

Uh no.  19-16-2 is hardly owning us in your house.  We have 3 more games in the 4 game series we signed back in 2001.  When it's over the series will be 19-18-2 in El Paso.

As for the Begging get real.  Both AD's know the series is a financial windfall for both institutions.  Believe me Davalos would not bet UPET for anything.

No low-blow. We own your little puppies in the sun bowl since we have won 5 out of the last 7 games played there.

I just love the guys from North Juarez smack talking other cities. 

If I had a house in North Juarez and a house in hell, I would rent the house in North Juarez and live in Hell!

I just love when fans of the crappiest team in American have nothing to back up their team, and resort to childish shots at another team's city. That is desperation my friend.

Okay, I see where you got your information on the weights of your guys so if you want to use those numbers that's fine. However, I like to use a third party for stats like this because they tend to be a little more realistic. Rivals has been a good (and accurate) source for me in the past so I use them. UTEP's site gives these guys 5-10 pounds more each which isn't uncommon.

I think you missed my point, I'm not trying to rip on UTEP I just wanted to put some facts to the arguments that were being made. I also noticed that when I did the argument stopped and now we have a nice "we're going to kick your butt" argument. If you want to give your guys 5-10 more pounds that is fine with me they are still smaller that Missouri's and way smaller than UNM's O-lines, those are just the facts. I'm not saying your guys aren't good I'm just saying your argument that you

Actually Mondo, it was the UTEP posters that started ripping other places beginning with Wyoming, and yes right now UNLV is a horrible team, but I am also a Bama graduate. It's pretty sad, when we probably have as many national championships as you have winning seasons. Oh and please stop with the basketball chest beating. UTEP hasn't been a serious national title contender since you beat Adolf Rupp.

The secert is having eight great players and four others who will cheer like crazy.

Jerry Tarkanian

Actually Mondo, it was the UTEP posters that started ripping other places beginning with Wyoming, and yes right now UNLV is a horrible team, but I am also a Bama graduate.  It's pretty sad, when we probably have as many national championships as you have winning seasons.  Oh and please stop with the basketball chest beating.  UTEP hasn't been a serious national title contender since you beat Adolf Rupp.

Rebeltrailer is the typical fairweather fan. Since his Real team SUCKS bigtime he has to resort to using one of the most traditional football teams to get back at utep. How pathetic Rebeltrailer. I don't have to include any bcs power to show that utep football has WAY!!!! more history than the expansion team of university nevada las vegas. Our bowl history record is better than most teams in the pathetic Mountain Bubbleboy Conference. Our record is 5-6 in bowls, what's nevada at las vegas record? something like 1-3? Also Rebeltrailer, If I recall correctly you're the one that started with the most despicable assumptions about El Paso. So you see Rebeltrailer, you do have a history of losing the debate and like a typical coward start resorting to stereotyping of a community or of an ethnic group. But thankfully another miner shut your a@# up by pointing to the thousands of people on message boards that totally expressed their displeasure of having to have to live in las vegas and could not wait to get out of dodge.

ps: NEVADA 22 las vegas nevada 14 :lol:

Actually Mondo, it was the UTEP posters that started ripping other places beginning with Wyoming, and yes right now UNLV is a horrible team, but I am also a Bama graduate.  It's pretty sad, when we probably have as many national championships as you have winning seasons.  Oh and please stop with the basketball chest beating.  UTEP hasn't been a serious national title contender since you beat Adolf Rupp.

Well I'm a Texas graduate (I go by HookemMiners on Minerdigs) and they're #2 in the nation. Big deal.

My team is UTEP and yours is UNLV. At the moment, I'd rather be a UTEP fan.

That said, I think Saturday night is going to be a battle. I'm realistic and I'm not saying UTEP would beat USC. However, I think UNM and UTEP are very evenly matched. I respect UNM. You all don't respect UTEP. I want to hear the excuses on Sunday morning after we win a close, hard-fought game.

Our record is 5-6 in bowls, what's nevada at las vegas record? something like 1-3?

ps: NEVADA 22 las vegas nevada 14

Since your setting records straight UNLV has NEVER lost a D1 bowl game.

Current bowl record is 3-0 since 1984

Since 1968 UTEP has appeared in just 3 bowls and is winless. 0-3

FYI --1968 was the first year UNLV played football and wasn't D1 until 1973.

If bowl games are the barometer, I guess that puts UTEP right there with UNLV as "the crappiest team in America"... perhaps even a little crappier.

FYI#2 --UNLV is tied with Boise St. 3-3 in the series although neither team has met since 1977 they had some good games back in the day.

FYI#3 --- UTEP has never beaten Bosie St. in 5 attempts so in that respect UTEP has no Bosie St. vs MWC smack --- only Bosie St. can smack those chops.

ps---

2000 UNLV 38 Nevada 7 ---------- Nevada 22 UTEP 45

2001 UNLV 27 Nevada 12 --------- Nevada 48 UTEP 31

2002 UNLV 21 Nevada 17 --------- Nevada 23 UTEP 17

2003 UNLV 16 Nevada 12 --------- ---------

2004 UNLV 48 Nevada 13 --------- ---------

Now do you want to talk Basketball?

I didn't think so.

2me1q87.jpg

Poor new mejico with their high school stadium. They are going to get beaten next week. Why? Because we are stronger, faster and getting better each week. Also we get our two defensive line starters back next week, we could have used them tonight.

you're kidding right? UTEP fans...you are too much. It's funny when I worked in Hell Paso I saw first hand how High School football was more popular in that sorry excuse of city. No one gave a rats _ _ _ about the miners. One decent season and whoooTEP fans are ripping on MWC teams...there was a reason we abandoned your sorry ++++#$ to begin with. You now reside in arguably the worst conference in Football (talk about comparisons to High school attendance) and the toughest team you play is a MWC team. Nice sched. this year....funny thing is you guys will still manage to lose 2 or 3 games. Put you your average team in the MWC and you'd be 500. good luck rest of the season (er umm I mean Cakewalk).

Six years after the marriage split up and still all this animosity. I wonder if the former members of the Southwest Conference have as much animosity towards the schools that left as some of the former WAC schools do at the schools that broke away to form the MWC. Let's revisit what happened, shal we? It all started with some problems down in Texas. SMU got nailed for some dirty recruiting and ended up getting slapped with the death penalty. Several other schools in the old SWC also began getting in trouble with the NCAA for rules violations and it severely weakened the conference. Because of this, the best high school players from the state of Texas began making a bee-line for out of state schools in conferences like the Big 8 and Big 10 and it further eroded the quality of football within the conference. To add insult to injury, Arkansas bolted for the SEC, virtually creating a bubble in the state of Texas by making the SWC a 1 state conference. Realizing something needed to be done, Texas and A&M began looking into joining up with one of the other major conferences, most notably the Big 8 and the SEC. A deal was soon reached and it looked like both the aggies and the longhorns were soon going to be headed to union with their brothers in the north. Unfortunately, the governor of Texas, Ann Richards, realized her alma mater Baylor was going to get left out of the equation and threatened to change the funding of the Texas school childrens fund, of which 2/3 had traditionally gone to UT and the other 1/3 had gone to the Aggies, if they left Baylor out. Tech got thrown in for good measure and the first super-conference was born. Now, the WAC tried to do what was right and brought in some of the old orphan schools from the former SWC. In addition, they also brought in UNLV, Tulsa, and SJSU. Unfortunately, it soon became apparent that it was foolish having a 16 team conference covering the majority of the U.S., so the eight teams pulled out and formed their own conference, the MWC. This time, though, they left long time member schools UTEP, Hawaii, and Fresno out of the equation. I can understand their anger; it hurts to be rejected. But these schools really must look at the conferences reasons for rejecting them. Hawaii was simply too far and expensive in terms of travel arrangements. There was a lot of debate concerning whether we should be taking UNLV or Fresno, because both of them had reputations for problems with the NCAA. The reason they took UNLV instead of FSU was because Vegas was a more attractive travel destination and Tark was still coaching at FSU. UTEP was not added at the time because they added nothing to the conference. In those days, UTEP had an abyssmal football program, marginal fan support, and it didn't appear that they were interested in building a program. I've even read the same comments from the posters of this board concerning their former presidents lack of understanding regarding this. Therefore, I don't see how UTEP can still hold a grudge against the MWC schools. Let's face it, the WAC was a lousy conference. I don't see it lasting more than another 10 years, unless things get better somehow. UTEP has gone to a better conference and so have we. I'm sure that at some point, the MWC is going to expand again and I'm sure they'll be considered along with Boise and Fresno. For the time being, though, I think we are all better off in the respective conferences we are in right now. If UTEP wants to be angry with somebody, they should be angry with their parent university in Austin.

Since your setting records straight UNLV has NEVER lost a D1 bowl game.

Current bowl record is 3-0 since 1984

Since 1968 UTEP has appeared in just 3 bowls and is winless.  0-3

FYI --1968 was the first year UNLV played football and wasn't D1 until 1973.

If bowl games are the barometer, I guess that puts UTEP right there with UNLV as "the crappiest team in America"... perhaps even a little crappier.

FYI#2 --UNLV is tied with Boise St. 3-3 in the series although neither team has met since 1977 they had some good games back in the day.

FYI#3 --- UTEP has never beaten Bosie St. in 5 attempts so in that respect UTEP has no Bosie St. vs MWC smack --- only Bosie St. can smack those chops.

ps---

2000  UNLV 38 Nevada 7    ----------            Nevada 22  UTEP 45

2001  UNLV 27 Nevada 12  ---------            Nevada 48  UTEP 31

2002  UNLV 21 Nevada 17  ---------            Nevada 23  UTEP 17

2003  UNLV 16 Nevada 12  ---------            ---------

2004  UNLV 48 Nevada 13  ---------            ---------

Now do you want to talk Basketball? 

I didn't think so.

Over 24 hours later and still no UTEP response, I guess they can't respond to cold hard facts. Maybe I should spell some x words with a j or something.

2me1q87.jpg

UTEP was not added at the time because they added nothing to the conference. In those days, UTEP had an abyssmal football program, marginal fan support, and it didn't appear that they were interested in building a program. I've even read the same comments from the posters of this board concerning their former presidents lack of understanding regarding this. Therefore, I don't see how UTEP can still hold a grudge against the MWC schools. Let's face it, the WAC was a lousy conference. I don't see it lasting more than another 10 years, unless things get better somehow. UTEP has gone to a better conference and so have we. I'm sure that at some point, the MWC is going to expand again and I'm sure they'll be considered along with Boise and Fresno. For the time being, though, I think we are all better off in the respective conferences we are in right now. If UTEP wants to be angry with somebody, they should be angry with their parent university in Austin.

Some of it....is true. UTEP was bad in FB and BB at that time ('95-'98). I don't think you'll find a UTEP fan denying this. If that was the sole reason you left us behind in the WAC....I understand it.

My issue with the traitors is that unlike Fresno (1992) and Hawaii (1980)....UTEP was your conference mate since 1967. I guess thirty years of conference membership and loyalty meant sh-it to the gang of five. UTEP was never good in FB....UTEP has always been known as a hoops school. Just like Indiana, Duke, UNC, Arizona, Kentucky and Kansas are known as hoops schools. And we all know those schools suck big time in football. UTEP brought prestige in hoops to the old WAC....in fact....UTEP was the flagship hoops school in the old conference. I guess the gang of five didn't care. The traitors left us behind when we needed you the most. That's the issue I have with the MWC schools (except TCU...which was left behind too). I was at UTEP in '98 when the split happened. Most of us at UTEP were in shock and speechless. Especially it was bad for us to know that our biggest WAC rival...UNM...stabbed us in the back. I guess they had two choices: go to the new conference with BYU and Utah or stay in the WAC. Somehow....I don't blame the Bobos for the decision they made. UTEP faced the same thing when we were asked to join C-USA. True, UTEP, Hawaii and Fresno were left in the WAC but those 3 programs got better. ITOH, you got SDSU and UNLV and the "potential" they had (wasn't that the excuse you gave UTEP, UH and FSU?). Six years later and the "potential" hasn't been delivered yet.....and only one bowl between the two.

The only good thing that came out of this is that the split was a wake up call for UTEP. A new AD was hired....our decaying facilities were remodeled.....our budget tripled....new FB and BB coaches were hired....our alumni started giving more money....the Durham Training Center at the Sun Bowl was built.....our President who was against athletics before the split, changed her mind and became more involved in athletics.....our fan support increased....in other words....UTEP changed for the better. Our on campus facilities are some of the best in the nonBCS. Heck...there's even some BCS schools that don't have a stadium like the Sun Bowl. The Don Haskins Center is one of the best and loudest college hoops arenas in the West.

If UTEP didn't make any changes....I'm sure we'd still be stuck in the WAC. UTEP was the last school to join C-USA. Memphis, Southern Miss, Houston, East Carolina and Marshall wanted UTEP or stay at 11. They knew what UTEP brings to the table: the best on campus facilities in the conference, hoops tradition, a growing FB program, a medium size TV market, 40k/10k attendance in FB and BB, a commitment to win in both sports, etc., etc. The only area where UTEP still needs to improve is academics and changes are being made.

So, if I have to say "thank you" for leaving us behind. So be it. You did us a favor....UTEP is in a better conference now, with more money, more TV networks, more bowls, better hoops, eastern media exposure, a championship game, and I can go on and on and on and on.

P.S. We don't have any reason to be mad at UT-Austin. The school in Austin has nothing to do with UTEP and viceversa. It might be true in other states but UT has never done anything good or bad when it comes to UTEP. Both schools are both geographically and politically far away...and I hope it stays that way. It would be great if the state mandated UT to share its BCS wealth with the other Div IA football UT schools (UTEP and UT are the only ones)...I could live with that. :)

Red Baron,

#1.- 1973 was a looonnnggg time ago. More than 30 yrs of FB and still can't get things right. One bowl (in your own city) since the MWC was created in 1999.

#2.- You said it....last time Boise and UNLV met was in 1977. That was 28 years ago. I'm sure Boise was Div IAA at that time.

#3.- I'm not denying it. In fact, Boise is undefeated in both WAC and MWC play. Only Louisiana Tech has beat the Broncos...and that was in both schools first year in the WAC (2001). UTEP is winless against Boise....as is Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, Utah, BYU, New Mexico, SMU, Tulsa, TCU, Wyoming, etc., etc., etc. The point I was making is that some people on this board say Boise has beaten weak WAC schools. If that's the point....then Boise has beaten "weak" MWC schools. And I don't consider Utah, BYU and TCU weak.

#4.- Congratulations for owning Nevada since they joined the WAC...if that makes you happy.

#5.- We can talk hoops all you want.

UTEP has NO final four appearances in the modern era. That's right you have not been a national championship contender since 1966. Now granted it has been a while for the rebels also but not 40 years!

The secert is having eight great players and four others who will cheer like crazy.

Jerry Tarkanian