Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAM THE RAM

Coach Mac's Contract

Denver Post posted a good article on The Coach. I thought his contract was interesting, as his salary would jump to $3M a year if CSU joined a power conference. Ha, not likely but it's good to know Coach Mac is dreaming big. Bottom-line, I hope the $7.5M buyout scares away the bottom-feeder P5 programs.

It's only a matter of time....

Denver Post posted a good article on The Coach. I thought his contract was interesting, as his salary would jump to $3M a year if CSU joined a power conference. Ha, not likely but it's good to know Coach Mac is dreaming big. Bottom-line, I hope the $7.5M buyout scares away the bottom-feeder P5 programs.

Any P5 AD that wants to hire McElwain can probably find $7.5M between the cushions of the leather sofa in their office.

Any P5 AD that wants to hire McElwain can probably find $7.5M between the cushions of the leather sofa in their office.

Maybe, but if your program has been a consistent loser over the last 15 years, is it worth the dough for a coach with 3 years of HC experience (d1 level) ?

If nothing else, the large buyout is good insurance for CSU.  Whether all $7.5MM… or only a fraction thereof... would be owed in the event Mac was plucked away by a P5 remains to seen, but it's a nice fall-back position to have.  That dough is equivalent to several yearly MWC payouts and could go a long way to making any coaching transition required much more seamless (at least in terms of being very competitive in the subsequent hiring process)...  

As of right now, the only potential opening that scares me is Florida. I'm sure Mcelwain would love to be back in the SEC & Florida is one of the best jobs in the SEC, they would have the buyout $ and they did pretty well with the last MW coach they hired. That said, even a 10 win season this year might not be enough of entice a school like Florida, he might need one of two more 10 win type seasons.

As of right now, the only potential opening that scares me is Florida. I'm sure Mcelwain would love to be back in the SEC & Florida is one of the best jobs in the SEC, they would have the buyout $ and they did pretty well with the last MW coach they hired. That said, even a 10 win season this year might not be enough of entice a school like Florida, he might need one of two more 10 win type seasons.

He wants to see the stadium and full rebuild of the program through. Doubt he leaves before then.

This

And it wouldn't be 7.5 million.  These things are always settled for something less, in the 50-60% range.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

I hear his salary jumps to $178,000 if CSU builds that 30,000 seat stadium.

He wants to see the stadium and full rebuild of the program through. Doubt he leaves before then.

If his goal is to leave to a bigger school, he'll go when the opportunity presents itself.  Why would he pass up the opportunity he's hoping for (if he is hoping) in order to rebuild your program?

Looking at his career... Assistant HC at Michigan State, well, no worries there; same with Bama. I'd say you're safe unless he continues this until next year, then some big boys could come calling. I agree that 7.5 mil buyout will protect you from the Wazzu, NCST, Indiana type schools- maybe even North Carolina or Arizona types, but nothing protects from Florida/Texas/Michigan type jobs. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

If his goal is to leave to a bigger school, he'll go when the opportunity presents itself.  Why would he pass up the opportunity he's hoping for (if he is hoping) in order to rebuild your program?

This was from the article...I even wonder if McElwain, at age 52, could look at the college football landscape where two losses in succession at a power conference program leads to the losers in life making it their goal to get you fired, and to wondering if your wife should attend games, read the paper, or turn on the radio or computer, and ultimately say: No thanks.

Gary Anderson and Chris Peterson both waited for the right job.

This was from the article...I even wonder if McElwain, at age 52, could look at the college football landscape where two losses in succession at a power conference program leads to the losers in life making it their goal to get you fired, and to wondering if your wife should attend games, read the paper, or turn on the radio or computer, and ultimately say: No thanks.

Gary Anderson and Chris Peterson both waited for the right job.

Goes to what I posted.  If his goal isn't to get a HC job in the P5 (good school in the P5), he'll stay longer.  It is just always so difficult to know what a coach's goals are.  They have to say the shyt to the players, fans and admin that their current school wants to hear.  Their job while they are there is to build the best program they can build and if they're not saying the stuff you posted above, that won't happen.  But what do they really want?  Most of the time we don't know.

Looking at his career... Assistant HC at Michigan State, well, no worries there; same with Bama. I'd say you're safe unless he continues this until next year, then some big boys could come calling. I agree that 7.5 mil buyout will protect you from the Wazzu, NCST, Indiana type schools- maybe even North Carolina or Arizona types, but nothing protects from Florida/Texas/Michigan type jobs

Which is true for most schools - even most P5 programs.  For instance I would be just as nervous as an Arizona fan about Rich Rod heading off to Florida which had great success running that read zone offense.  Arizona is just as likely to lose their coach to Florida as CSU is at this point in time.  Maybe even more so given that Rich Rod would likely be an easier sell to the Florida donors than McElwain.  In fact, just found this from yesterday http://www.chatsports.com/florida-gators/a/Arizona-Fears-Rich-Rodriguez-Leaving-For-Florida-10-134-231

It comes down to opportunity and fit.  McElwain isn't leaving for just any P5 job like Kansas, etc.  

Goes to what I posted.  If his goal isn't to get a HC job in the P5 (good school in the P5), he'll stay longer.  It is just always so difficult to know what a coach's goals are.  They have to say the shyt to the players, fans and admin that their current school wants to hear.  Their job while they are there is to build the best program they can build and if they're not saying the stuff you posted above, that won't happen.  But what do they really want?  Most of the time we don't know.

Hopefully he doesnt leave for any P5 opportunity. There are som bad jobs in the P5. He could be done in 2 years and back as an OC.

Which is true for most schools - even most P5 programs.  For instance I would be just as nervous as an Arizona fan about Rich Rod heading off to Florida which had great success running that read zone offense.  Arizona is just as likely to lose their coach to Florida as CSU is at this point in time.  Maybe even more so given that Rich Rod would likely be an easier sell to the Florida donors than McElwain.  In fact, just found this from yesterday http://www.chatsports.com/florida-gators/a/Arizona-Fears-Rich-Rodriguez-Leaving-For-Florida-10-134-231

It comes down to opportunity and fit.  McElwain isn't leaving for just any P5 job like Kansas, etc.  

Not sure how Rich Rod would be an easy sell since he flamed out at Michigan.

Hopefully he doesnt leave for any P5 opportunity. There are som bad jobs in the P5. He could be done in 2 years and back as an OC.

As another posted said, even if he gets the dream job at a strong P5 program, he can be gone in two years.  The better the P5 program is, the less patience they seem to have.  Signed Brady Hoke

Not sure how Rich Rod would be an easy sell since he flamed out at Michigan.

The guy can flat out coach.  Michigan was just a terrible fit for his system IMO.  However, there is no denying that he had West Virginia at levels it had never seen before and now it appears he is turning that dormant Arizona program around as well.  I think he would a perfect fit a Florida with that system and the ability to recruit the type of athletes he wants.  

My point is, when it comes to programs like Florida, etc. - no one is immune to losing their coach.  Even a middle of the pack P5 program like Arizona has to be concerned.  Hell I have even seen Bob Stoops rumored for the Florida gig.

There's absolutely no doubt that you're correct.

/s/ Brady Hoke

Well looking back at Hoke, he did all he could do at SDSU.  that's why he left.  that and the ties he had to Michigan.  

Obviously $$$$ too.