Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pioneer

ND to ACC

no big surprise there. thought they might go Big 12 though.

Simply put the BE is the old grey mare

now that ND is off the table the Big 12 can decide and move forward with or without Louisville and team X

I like that you think out of the box and you beat me to it.

Some are saying this will have absolutely no impact on the TV contract for the football playing members of the BE. While it won't have any immediate impact since the negotiations are entirely separate for the football playing and non-football playing members, with ND no longer in the cards, it's possible the B12 might now add Louisville and BYU, both of which appear to be desirous of joining. That would obviously have some impact on the BE. But even if the B12 instead now adds Clemson and FSU, you have to think the ACC would replace them with UConn and Rutgers, both of which have already lobbied for admission. Without those two plus Syracuse, the BE wouldn't be of much interest to the NY metro area so that would impact the TV deal.

So the next few months could get very interesting.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I like that you think out of the box and you beat me to it.

Some are saying this will have absolutely no impact on the TV contract for the football playing members of the BE. While it won't have any immediate impact since the negotiations are entirely separate for the football playing and non-football playing members, with ND no longer in the cards, it's possible the B12 might now add Louisville and BYU, both of which appear to be desirous of joining. That would obviously have some impact on the BE. But even if the B12 instead now adds Clemson and FSU, you have to think the ACC would replace them with UConn and Rutgers, both of which have already lobbied for admission. Without those two plus Syracuse, the BE wouldn't be of much interest to the NY metro area so that would impact the TV deal.

So the next few months could get very interesting.

I hate that they keep doing this right in the middle of football season.....

Why would they leave the Big Least if the money was purported to be good?

An obviously very knowledgeable ND fan called into Rivals Radio months ago and predicted this. His call was the very first time I had heard of the possibility and I can't remember his reasons but all of them made perfect sense. So much so that I got the impression he was somebody with contacts inside the ND athletics department. The only one I remember was academics. The caller pointed out that if Rutgers joins UConn in moving to the ACC to replace Clemson and FSU, particularly with Boise and to a lesser extent SDSU, Memphis et al. joining, the academic prestige of the BE would take a big hit. Academic reputation may have nothing to do with the composition of the MWC but they matter a lot to ND.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I hate that they keep doing this right in the middle of football season.....

Call me paranoid but I can't help thinking the timing of this move is just too coincidental to the BE's renegotiation of its TV deal. Some Aztecs like FullMonty are more tuned into that stuff than I am so I'll be interested in hearing his take.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I'm still trying to figure out why they would turn down trillions of dollars, the chance to hide all of their teams on the NBC sports network and play in massive markets to go to the ACC....makes no sense.

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

Call me paranoid but I can't help thinking the timing of this move is just too coincidental to the BE's renegotiation of its TV deal. Some Aztecs like FullMonty are more tuned into that stuff than I am so I'll be interested in hearing his take.

It wouldn't surprise me at all. ESPN seems to be interested in getting what content they can from the BE even if it means forcing realignment.

An obviously very knowledgeable ND fan called into Rivals Radio months ago and predicted this. His call was the very first time I had heard of the possibility and I can't remember his reasons but all of them made perfect sense. So much so that I got the impression he was somebody with contacts inside the ND athletics department. The only one I remember was academics. The caller pointed out that if Rutgers joins UConn in moving to the ACC to replace Clemson and FSU, particularly with Boise and to a lesser extent SDSU, Memphis et al. joining, the academic prestige of the BE would take a big hit. Academic reputation may have nothing to do with the composition of the MWC but they matter a lot to ND.

Dang - if the caller was right ,Notre Dame just called Boise out on a national stage with this move.

Also the ACC increased their exit fee to 3x annual revenue, which is about $50mil. So much for Florida State and Clemson to the Big12

Don't be so sure. Almost nobody pays the full freight on their departure so you can figure the buyout would end up being more like $40M. Also, if the B12 wants them badly enough, it will pay a portion of the buyout. If the schools thought they could make up the difference in only a few years of additional TV revenue, it won't be enough to keep them from leaving.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Andy Katz on Colin Cowherd says that he thinks this is a sign that Rutgers, UCONN and/or Louisville may be heading to the ACC as well.

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

Dang - if the caller was right ,Notre Dame just called Boise out on a national stage with this move.

Only indirectly and tacitly. But think about it. When it comes to college sports and particularly football, ND is Don Ameche and the other old fart inTrading Places whereas Boise is Eddie Murphy.

Boom goes the dynamite.

There's no telling where this will go but it will have a ripple effect. It may present a real opportunity for BSU and SDSU to get their full western division of the BE. With the BE's basketball schools' bargaining position weakened, the football playing schools could force such a move. That would provide both BSU and SDSU a stable western home in the BE that would move to an all-sports division and get them out of the Big West. I just hope that a BE western move will not cost the MWC more than the loss of AFA.

An alternative is that the BE upcoming TV contract could be significantly reduced in value. Not only the loss of ND there but the perceived instability of the conference now increased with Louisville, Rutgers and Connecticut, more than ever, all wanting to bail. That could be bad news for BSU and SDSU.

Fresno is going East

Not according to half of your Fresno buddies on this board. They just love the MWC and would never want their school to "whore itself out" to TV money like SDSU and Boise are doing.

Boom goes the dynamite.

This wasn't completely unexpected. ND had a similar deal with the BE and never honored it (on the FB side). Wonder if they'll actually schedule ACC teams as they are suggesting. Can't really see it happening with their regular lineup.

Shouldn't affect the FB side of the media negotiations. Will have a small bump on the BB side.

Real betrayal of the NE BB schools though. They have to be pretty pissed right now.

Not sure where you got that info, but Notre Dame never had an agreement for a scheduling alliance in FB with the Big East, as part of their membership for oly sports.

Where did you get the idea that FB and oly sports will receive separate tv deals? The tv deal will be all inclusive, so why do you think the loss of ND won't have an affect for the football side? There's no doubt the loss of ND will have a negative affect on the total dollar amount to be divided among full members, BB and FB only members. To think otherwise would be naive.

So, are you saying BSU and SDSU leaving for the Big East is a real betrayal to the MWC as well?

515px-Nevada_Wolf_Pack_Txt.svg.png

I'm still trying to figure out why they would turn down trillions of dollars, the chance to hide all of their teams on the NBC sports network and play in massive markets to go to the ACC....makes no sense.

Yep, there are no Wyoming troll shyte disturbers on this board. Nope. Nary a one. :rolleyes:

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Its about joining for football. Notre Dame was not a football member.

One of the teams BYU hoped to have on their future schedules were games with ND. That could change now that ND also agreed to play 5-6 games every year with ACC teams so I would think that closes still another door for BYU scheduling. BYU will join if the money is there and the BE makes accomodations for their TV network. ND's basketball team jumping out of the BE has nothing to do with it.

I thought BYU-ND had agreed on 6 games through 2020 (2012, 2013, 2014, and 3 TBA). http://www.fbschedules.com/2010/09/byu-agrees-6-year-football-contract-notre-dame/

I'd think with the continuing shift in the alignment landscape that BYU will either need to have a scheduling agreement with some conference or will need to join a conference going forward. They have some time to work it out but it has to be coming.

There's no telling where this will go but it will have a ripple effect. It may present a real opportunity for BSU and SDSU to get their full western division of the BE. With the BE's basketball schools' bargaining position weakened, the football playing schools could force such a move. That would provide both BSU and SDSU a stable western home in the BE that would move to an all-sports division and get them out of the Big West. I just hope that a BE western move will not cost the MWC more than the loss of AFA.

An alternative is that the BE upcoming TV contract could be significantly reduced in value. Not only the loss of ND there but the perceived instability of the conference now increased with Louisville, Rutgers and Connecticut, more than ever, all wanting to bail. That could be bad news for BSU and SDSU.

Even without UConn, UL and Rutgers, a nationwide best-of-the-rest conference would be good for Boise and SDSU. Such a conference would have long-term viability if only as a feeder league for the big boys when their TV partners want them to expand by a couple members. No, we won't get rich, but we'll survive as a low major league football conference. I'm not sure the same can be said of the MWC.

Boom goes the dynamite.