Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reb Baron

Rebel football welcomes recruits for visit

Rebels welcome recruits for visit

Four of nine have committed to football team

By MARK ANDERSON

REVIEW-JOURNAL

UNLV won't have to do as much selling this weekend when it brings in nine football recruits for visits. Four of them have committed to the Rebels.

But UNLV is welcoming two undecided prospects who are rated three-star safeties by Scout.com.

C.J. Cox (5 feet 11 inches, 190 pounds) of North Garland (Texas) High School, is the nation's No. 46-rated safety, but the Rebels are recruiting him at tailback. Nebraska, Kansas, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State and Fresno State also have offered Cox scholarships.

Shiloah Te'o (5-11, 190) of Kahuku (Hawaii) High is ranked No. 54 at safety. Brigham Young, Hawaii and Utah have offered him scholarships.

The four visiting players who have committed are wide receiver Gordy Cooper (6-6, 205) of San Jacinto (Calif.) High; offensive lineman Jason Heath (6-4, 265) of Del Oro High in Loomis, Calif.; wide receiver Phillip Payne (6-4, 180) of Western High; and athlete Robert Rowe (6-2, 173) of Marana High in Tucson, Ariz.

All are two-star prospects, as are the other three who are visiting.

Tight end Austin Briehl (6-5, 220) of Notre Dame Preparatory in Scottsdale, Ariz., received offers from Boise State, Air Force and Army.

Offensive lineman Jason Koontz (6-3, 285) of Santiago High in Corona, Calif., has offers from Colorado State and Army.

Tight end Anthony Siilata (6-2, 285) of Kahuku High has offers from BYU and Oregon State.

NCAA rules prohibit UNLV coach Mike Sanford from commenting on specific recruits until they sign.

The nine high school players underscore his pledge to move away from junior college recruits. He also will not sign any JC players this month.

"It is (tempting), but the problem with the type of guys you get in the mid-year is the success rate isn't great on them," Sanford said.

2me1q87.jpg

Rebels welcome recruits for visit

Shiloah Te'o (5-11, 190) of Kahuku (Hawaii) High is ranked No. 54 at safety. Brigham Young, Hawaii and Utah have offered him scholarships.

That is a bit interesting... Shiloah is considered a "solid commit" by the good folks in Provo.

Perhaps he is just interested in a little Las Vegas hospitality. :P

His cousin (a Jr this year) is projected as one of the top LBs in the country next year and maybe the highest ranked prospect to come out of Hawai'i in years.

That is a bit interesting... Shiloah is considered a "solid commit" by the good folks in Provo.

His cousin (a Jr this year) is projected as one of the top LBs in the country next year and maybe the highest ranked prospect to come out of Hawai'i in years.

Would you be willing to do a sweatshirt bet that Shiloah ends up at BYU? I like those "odds" (if you want to call it that). It's not uncommon for "committed" recruits to make visits. Many of BYU's class has and will do so.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Would you be willing to do a sweatshirt bet that Shiloah ends up at BYU? I like those "odds" (if you want to call it that). It's not uncommon for "committed" recruits to make visits. Many of BYU's class has and will do so.

What pray tell little kitty makes you think I believe Shiloah won't end up at BYU?

Get your Steve Young underwear out of your crack and loosen up, even our friendly Rebel poster didn't make any such claims.

Oh course IF Te'o breaks his commit I reserve the right to laugh at you.

I would be shocked if he decommitted. He is doing what Holt is doing getting a few free trips plus i believe he has family in the area. This happens all the time. We have one commit coming in January that committed to UCLA as a solid, the difference is Dorrell was fired and his mom really wants him to go to BYU so rumor has it he is rethinking his commitment since dorrell has been fired. His cousin is projected to possibly be a top 10 player next year and he is considered to be the best player to come out of Hawaii ever.

What pray tell little kitty makes you think I believe Shiloah won't end up at BYU?

Get your Steve Young underwear out of your crack and loosen up, even our friendly Rebel poster didn't make any such claims.

Oh course IF Te'o breaks his commit I reserve the right to laugh at you.

My ever so sensitive Ute homer friend, your new vernacular is quite cute Vegas (ie - "pray tell"?). It suits you. Stick with it.

Laugh all you want IF he breaks his commitment (not gonna happen anyway). Hopefully you'll get as good a laugh as I did at all your preseason smack talk and predictions (I'll save you the embarrassment of your pre-Utah / BYU commentary). You need it.

"Oh-oh"

v0icAvfW.jpg

My ever so sensitive Ute homer friend, your new vernacular is quite cute Vegas (ie - "pray tell"?). It suits you. Stick with it.

Laugh all you want IF he breaks his commitment (not gonna happen anyway). Hopefully you'll get as good a laugh as I did at all your preseason smack talk and predictions (I'll save you the embarrassment of your pre-Utah / BYU commentary). You need it.

"Oh-oh"

I highly doubt BYU has offered that Siilata kid from Kahuku HS as this is the first time I have ever heard of him and BYU has very few scholies left to give out. Also, BYU has the commit it wants from a TE in Austin Holt, so that makes me skeptical if the offer is real from the Cougs.

As for Teo, I believe he has a brother or cousin who signed with UNLV a couple yrs ago who is on a mission. Maybe that is how UNLV got its foot in the door, but he did verbally commit to BYU over the summer. Maybe he wants to stay all week and catch the Las Vegas Bowl?

Maybe the kid want to have his last little bit of living a free life before he signs his rights away at BYU!??!

The only reason any player would sign with UNLV is because nobody else wants them. A recruits parents must be insane to let their child sign with UNLV if they have offers elsewhere. Mike Sanford is the worst coach in the history of Division IA Football.

Hopefully UCLA granting Neuheisel an interview will be enough for him to get hired at UNLV next December. If UCLA thinks it is ok to interview him, it has got to be ok for UNLV to hire him!

My fingers are crossed.