Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CowboyFriar

ESPN's SEC bias

It is a bunch of people who piss and moan, and disregard the easily observable. 

I do want to see TCU, MSU, or Oregon take on an SEC team.  Beyond that, I think every other team would be sub .500 in the SEC West

I just want some teams to start beating them in games that matter.  People won't think they're aren't the best until that starts happening more regularly.

If I could choose 3 teams from the SEC West, I would take them over the rest of college football right now.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I just want some teams to start beating them in games that matter.  People won't think they're aren't the best until that starts happening more regularly.

If I could choose 3 teams from the SEC West, I would take them over the rest of college football right now.

Ehh... I would say perhaps close.  But I still do like Oregon and Michigan State. 

Mississippi State

Oregon

Florida State (I think a lot of SEC teams can beat them, but they haven't lost.  And they beat Auburn last year.  Can't deny)

Alabama (They are going to beat Auburn)

But I dare anyone to just take a blind look, just remove the jerseys, remove the affiliation.

Look at the records and stats.

Look at the tape.

Look at P5 vs P5 record (weighted for actual quality opponents)

Now put the logos back on.

SEC is still the best conference, especially SEC West. 

Ehh... I would say perhaps close.  But I still do like Oregon and Michigan State. 

Mississippi State

Oregon

Florida State (I think a lot of SEC teams can beat them, but they haven't lost.  And they beat Auburn last year.  Can't deny)

Alabama (They are going to beat Auburn)

But I dare anyone to just take a blind look, just remove the jerseys, remove the affiliation.

Look at the records and stats.

Look at the tape.

Look at P5 vs P5 record (weighted for actual quality opponents)

Now put the logos back on.

SEC is still the best conference, especially SEC West. 

I just hate that the SEC does have some great teams, but that doesn't mean that teams like South Carolina or A&M should be thought of as great teams just because they are in the SEC.  The LSU-Ole Miss game last week was a sloppy piece of crap game and a lot of schools could have beat either of those teams last week.  And no, it wasn't sloppy because both of those teams are so great.  

The LSU-Ole Miss game last week was a sloppy piece of crap game and a lot of schools could have beat either of those teams last week.  And no, it wasn't sloppy because both of those teams are so great.  

Uhhhhh...... they may not have the best QB's, but those defenses made that game what it was.  What you call sloppy, I call a defensive duel.  That was a great game, unless you need basketball scores, which I would then advise to just watch a P12 game.

Uhhhhh...... they may not have the best QB's, but those defenses made that game what it was.  What you call sloppy, I call a defensive duel.  That was a great game, unless you need basketball scores, which I would then advise to just watch a P12 game.

I agree, that was a great game.

Uhhhhh...... they may not have the best QB's, but those defenses made that game at it was.  What you call sloppy, I call a defensive duel.  That was a great game, unless you need basketball scores, which I would then advise to just watch a P12 game.

The defenses are good and they were flying all over the place, but I don't think it was a great defensive duel by any means.  More often than not, LSU's offense is terrible.  They are good teams, both of them.  But they are not elite teams.   

The defenses are good and they were flying all over the place, but I don't think it was a great defensive duel by any means.  More often than not, LSU's offense is terrible.  They are good teams, both of them.  But they are not elite teams.   

No team is elite because that went away when they reduced scholarships more than a decade ago.

Held Ole Miss to barely anything, yet Boise couldn't stop them.  Food for thought.

Held Ole Miss to barely anything, yet Boise couldn't stop them.  Food for thought.

Boise is far from an elite defense.  One of the best in this conference and G5 teams, but on a national scale, I wouldn't put much stock on scoring on Boise when discussing elite teams in the nation.  No offense Boise fans.  I would expect any top 10 team to score a lot on Boise.  

Boise is far from an elite defense.  One of the best in this conference and G5 teams, but on a national scale, I wouldn't put much stock on scoring on Boise when discussing elite teams in the nation.  No offense Boise fans.  I would expect any top 10 team to score a lot on Boise.  

OK.  They held Bama.  But if I say that, it reverts back to the SEC argument.  Just go ahead and actually give me a conference even comparable.  P12?  B12?  Lulz.......

OK.  They held Bama.  But if I say that, it reverts back to the SEC argument.  Just go ahead and actually give me a conference even comparable.  P12?  B12?  Lulz.......

I'm not saying that the SEC isn't the best conference, but they aren't light years ahead of the others.  I think the Pac 12 and Big 12 are close.  The SEC has more quality teams though at the top.  

I'm not saying that the SEC isn't the best conference, but they aren't light years ahead of the others.  I think the Pac 12 and Big 12 are close.  The SEC has more quality teams though at the top.  

They are light years ahead of the ACC.  That is for sure,  Top to bottom, will crush B10.  But P12 is rubbish in my honest opinion.  They beat weak P5's, and they beat the MW.  Not that hard, yet they moan about unfairness, when they swallow the recruiting region, then play those who get the castaways (us).  Pac 12 is Oregon and whoever else is good that year.  That is it.  They are the ACC of the west.

The SEC bias is like the helmet bias. If 11-0 USC is playing 11-0 Utah USC will always be the higher ranked team. If Notre Dame starts 4-0 they'll always be ranked. And so it's become with conferences. Ole Miss & Miss St rocket up the rankings despite the lack of pedigree. Any other conference's teams without pedigree are viewed with suspicion initially. The SEC is 1-3 in its last 4 BCS appearances.

And I don't even necessarily think the SEC isn't the best conference this year. I think the gap is way overhyped. The SEC B12 & P12 are the top tier (with B12 3rd best) and the B10 & ACC are the next tier. ESPN's bias comes in with their framing of the discussion by conference instead of team. "Should the SEC get two bids? Three?" Who cares? The question should be does team X deserve a bid. If Auburn is runner up in the west and it's Auburn v B12 champ KSU for a bid, then Auburn should be in. That's an actual discussion. Skip the lazy brand bias and hyperbole.

2005, 2009, 2010 & 2011 MWC Football Champions

That's not true. Teams like Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn play major OOC games almost every year. Just this season alone you had

Alabama vs West Virginia

LSU vs Wisconsin

Georgia vs Clemson

Auburn @ Kansas State

Tennessee @ Oklahmoa

Ole Miss vs Boise State

Arkansas @ Texas Tech

You also have Florida and South Carolina's annual rivalry games. Also as far as future schedules LSU alone has home and homes with Syracuse, Texas, UCLA, Arizona State, and Oklahoma plus neutral site games with Wisconsin and Miami. I don't know where this "SEC teams don't schedule" myth comes from?

Myth?  I and I'm sure others have seen media articles in the past criticizing their scheduling.  If it's a myth then why was it brought up to begin with?  I find it funny that you conveniently only hi-lited LSU, which seems to be in balance for such a powerful conference.  However did you even check out all of the other SEC teams' future schedules?  I did and I don't want to take the time to list them all, but let me know which of their teams you'd like me to list here.  What a joke Alabama's is, the big shot of the conference.

Some here can argue that even the MWC schedules tougher competition than they do.     

Myth?  I and I'm sure others have seen media articles in the past criticizing their scheduling.  If it's a myth then why was it brought up to begin with?  I find it funny that you conveniently only hi-lited LSU, which seems to be in balance for such a powerful conference.  However did you even check out all of the other SEC teams' future schedules?  I did and I don't want to take the time to list them all, but let me know which of their teams you'd like me to list here.  What a joke Alabama's is, the big shot of the conference.

Some here can argue that even the MWC schedules tougher competition than they do.     

How is playing a 1aa team any different than a conference dreg?  Does it really matter if the SEC schedules a 1aa team when the PAC feasts on Colorado?  Many of the PAC teams scheduled 1aa teams as one of their 3 OOC games.  CU and a 1aa team=2 wins either way, just like it does for the SEC to play Florida Atlantic and a 1aa.  I'm of the opinion that 1aa games should go away period, but while it's ok teams will still play them.  Folks want to chest pound about their 9 conference game schedule when there's automatic wins like Kansas and Colorado and Indiana and Wake Forest in every single P5 conference.  

Bama was fine OOC this year and has good games going forward.  They will see six ranked squads this year, plus Tennessee who clown stomped USU by multiple scores.  Yet, somehow for folks like you that's not enough.  

I have no problem with Alabama scheduling a difficult neutral game against someone (WestVa), and then playing a 1aa at home as long as playing 1aa's is ok.  Alabama plays in the most difficult division of the best league in the nation, and has a SoS of 3 thusfar, 2/3rds of the way through the year.  So, forgive me if I don't think they need to do or prove more to folks like you by playing more ranked teams and more difficult OOC games.  

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

How is playing a 1aa team any different than a conference dreg?  Does it really matter if the SEC schedules a 1aa team when the PAC feasts on Colorado?  Many of the PAC teams scheduled 1aa teams as one of their 3 OOC games.  CU and a 1aa team=2 wins either way, just like it does for the SEC to play Florida Atlantic and a 1aa.  I'm of the opinion that 1aa games should go away period, but while it's ok teams will still play them.  Folks want to chest pound about their 9 conference game schedule when there's automatic wins like Kansas and Colorado and Indiana and Wake Forest in every single P5 conference.  

Bama was fine OOC this year and has good games going forward.  They will see six ranked squads this year, plus Tennessee who clown stomped USU by multiple scores.  Yet, somehow for folks like you that's not enough.  

I have no problem with Alabama scheduling a difficult neutral game against someone (WestVa), and then playing a 1aa at home as long as playing 1aa's is ok.  Alabama plays in the most difficult division of the best league in the nation, and has a SoS of 3 thusfar, 2/3rds of the way through the year.  So, forgive me if I don't think they need to do or prove more to folks like you by playing more ranked teams and more difficult OOC games.  

So Alabama's SOS comes from conference play, not for who they play in the OOC?  Got it.      

Here are their future schedules.  Evidently they'll only play P5 teams at a neutral site, if not at home. 

2015-

Wisconsin (at Arlington, TX)

Middle Tennessee

ULM

Charleston Southern

2016-

USC (at Arlington, TX)

Western Kentucky

Kent St

TBD

2017-

Colorado State

TBD

TBD

TBD 

Although they haven't filled the 2016/17 schedules, yeah, they have good games going forward

alright. LOL 

So Alabama's SOS comes from conference play, not for who they play in the OOC?  Got it.      

Here are their future schedules.  Evidently they'll only play P5 teams at a neutral site, if not at home. 

2015-

Wisconsin (at Arlington, TX)

Middle Tennessee

ULM

Charleston Southern

2016-

USC (at Arlington, TX)

Western Kentucky

Kent St

TBD

2017-

Colorado State

TBD

TBD

TBD 

Although they haven't filled the 2016/17 schedules, yeah, they have good games going forward

alright. LOL 

To the detriment of their season ticket holders, the neutral site games bring tons of money.  It's a smart move on the admin's part, though I would be ticked that they kept moving the best game in the OOC to a neutral site.  The other schools are actually decent schools (they would be a challenge, at least, for most MWC schools), and they do schedule the tuneup game before Auburn.  Based on the fact they don't need to kill themselves in OOC to prove themselves, I don't see the problem.  PAC 12 doesn't have that luxury, neither does ACC, or Big Ten.