Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mars

Thompson again considering moving Tourny out of Vegas

If it is about money, SLC should generate more money.

So, if we eliminate the money/attendance factor, then why should Vegas host?

Because the tournament is labeled the MWC tournament......not just another season-ticket promotion that BYU/Utah could use to name it the BYU/Utah Tournament.

Even though UNLV has an advantage with the Thomas & Mack......I still have noticed that a good contigenet of fans from OTHER MWC schools make the trip and travel. This is ESPECIALLY the case for UNM/Wyoming/BYU/Utah. Do the fans of these traveling schools match UNLV's advantage? Probably not.....but short of moving the tournament to Phoenix or Denver.....ANY school who hosts the touney will have the advantage. Move the tourney to SLC......we have 18000 BYU/Utah fans. Move it to THE PIT.....and we have 18000 lobo fans........GET MY POINT!!!

IF we were to move the tournament.....I am not too confident people would be willing to travel to SLC. I mean why should they especially with this economy. YES....I know Las Vegas is getting more expensive....but still people who travel to Las Vegas during the MWC tourney can kill two birds with one stone and get a good BANG for their buck. Not only to to get to see great action of MWC basketball......but they can have a good time in the destination city afterwards!

NEW LOBO ORDER

spannaballernp1.gif

WE ARE NEW MEXICO

Guest ragtimeJOE

Because the tournament is labeled the MWC tournament......not just another season-ticket promotion that BYU/Utah could use to name it the BYU/Utah Tournament.

Even though UNLV has an advantage with the Thomas & Mack......I still have noticed that a good contigenet of fans from OTHER MWC schools make the trip and travel. This is ESPECIALLY the case for UNM/Wyoming/BYU/Utah. IF we were to move the tournament.....I am not too confident people would be willing to travel to SLC. I mean why should they especially with this economy. YES....I know Leas Vegas is getting more expensive....but still people who travel to Las Vegas during the MWC tourney can kill two birds with one stone and get a good BANG for their buck. Not only to to get to see great action of MWC basketball......but they can have a good time in the destination city afterwards!

Until I see the attendance by game figures for both Denver and Vegas, I'm not sure I'm buying that people didn't travel to Denver (at least it is not as bad as some think). Maybe it is, but I haven't seen the numbers yet. How much of the attendance boost at Vegas is due to the locals? If Vegas is one and done, what would the attendance be like? I'm not advocating Denver; I'm just saying that we need to look at all angles. If the tourney were held in the Pit and the Lobos made the championship, I'd bet avg. attendance would be near Vegas.

In other words, attendance isn't the only thing we should consider; otherwise SLC, no matter how you slice it, is the best option.

JMO, not saying I'm right.

Until I see the attendance by game figures for both Denver and Vegas, I'm not sure I'm buying that people didn't travel to Denver (at least it is not as bad as some think). Maybe it is, but I haven't seen the numbers yet. How much of the attendance boost at Vegas is due to the locals? If Vegas is one and done, what would the attendance be like? I'm not advocating Denver; I'm just saying that we need to look at all angles. If the tourney were held in the Pit and the Lobos made the championship, I'd bet avg. attendance would be near Vegas.

In other words, attendance isn't the only thing we should consider; otherwise SLC, no matter how you slice it, is the best option.

One other thing alot of people are saying how UNLV has won 3 MWC titles during the 6 yrs that the touney has been held in Las Vegas. People forget that UNLV did NOT win the title during 3 of those years......but oh well.......

OK...let's say we move the tourney to SLC....

In state of Utah.....what is the win-loss record for BOTH Utah and BYU respectively. My hunch is it is a better good home-defensive record. So now we are gonna replace UNLV with giving the touney to BYU and/or Utah.

NEW LOBO ORDER

spannaballernp1.gif

WE ARE NEW MEXICO

OK then where were all these complaints in the previous years about UNLV's home-court advantage? Also, previous to the last two years we only won 1/4 tourneys at the T&M. Perhaps the issue is that UNLV now has a very good team, wasn't so much of an issue when we weren't as good, was it? I do not remember hearing anything like this from Colorado State or SDSU when they beat us in the conf. final game...on our home floor nonetheless. Hmmm.

Everyone here knows the real issue is that until recently, we didn't win any of these MWC tourneys against BYU. But now we have. Twice in a row. Ouch. And we all know that is the ONLY reason why the MWC is "looking into" the situation now. BYU fan cries, Thompson shows up with a tissue. But it looks like you have company now with Alford.

Where were you when I was making the exact same statements on the old espn board that I have made on this thread back before the tournament was moved to Denver?

I say move it to Mesquite and play in the high school gym or better yet move it to Page, AZ, where no one gets to sleep in their own bed at night.

" I believe that forgiving them is God's function.

OUR job is to arrange the meeting. " - General Schwarzkopf

Since you're on the tournament topic...

Why do we seed the teams in the tournament? The best team plays the worst team...etc.. Isn't this an unfair advantage for the best team? Maybe this needs to be looked into.

An advantage earned through regular season performance is not analagous to an advantage conferred upon an institution years in advance regardless of conference standing.

It isn't UNLV's "fault" that it is held at the T&M. It is the best location, for a variety of reasons, and I like it there. However, it is grating to see UNLV fans try to pretend it isn't an advantage. Just admit it is an advantage and tell all others that if they want the tournament at their place they need to show the $$$$$$.

OK then where were all these complaints in the previous years about UNLV's home-court advantage?

You must have a short memory. Why do you think it was moved to Denver in the first place. I am sure I am not the only one that remembers several coaches (Majerus being the most vocal) complaining bitterly about UNLV having it at home before the move to Denver.

Serious question for everyone--especially Reb fans. A lot of people say the tourney is in Vegas due to money. Does everyone really think that average attendance would be higher in Vegas than Salt Lake (with good Utah and BYU teams)?

The question is strictly attendance (i.e. revenue). I don't know, I think attendance would be high at Salt Lake.

Average attendance would be higher for games involving BYU and Utah, but would probably be lower for non-Utah teams. Vegas is a better draw for the out of town fan.

I think the tournament would be fine financially in SLC, but as a Wyoming fan I would rather have it in Vegas. If we have to travel, why not go to Vegas?

It would be nice if our conference had the support levels required to host the tourney at a truly neutral location. We had an opportunity to do so and failed to show up. The truth hurts sometimes. I blame CSU... :P

If it is about money, SLC should generate more money.

So, if we eliminate the money/attendance factor, then why should Vegas host?

Vegas is where people want to go! Nobody and I mean NOBODY wants to go to Salt Lake City.

You should host the Tournament where fans want to visit.

The MWC would be selling out every session in Las Vegas by now if they never would have moved the tournament to Denver. You have to build TRADITION and you have to allow people to become accustomed to visiting the same place YEAR AFTER YEAR. You can't continually move the tournament and build any sort of money making event! You have to leave it alone and let it grow.

Las Vegas is where the MWC Tournament belongs. Because of that I expect the idiots in charge to move it as soon as they possibly can.

This league is a disaster because of the morons running it.

You are not buying that people didn't travel to the MWC Tournament in Denver? The place was EMPTY. It was a complete DISASTER.

Playing at the Thomas & Mack Center is a disadvantage for UNLV Basketball but we do it to help the league.

UNLV is hurt by hosting the Tournament, not helped by it. But Las Vegas is where the tournament belongs because that is where the FANS want it. Without the fans, kiss the conference goodbye. Las Vegas is where people want to visit. Not Salt Lake, Not Denver, Not Dallas, Not Albuqueerque and not PHOENIX or any other PAC-10 $hithole.

The MWC Tournament belongs in Las Vegas. If it never would have been moved to Denver it would be HUGE by now. Sold out for every game. The league killed the tournament by moving it to Denver and we still haven't recovered from that disaster decision!

An advantage earned through regular season performance is not analagous to an advantage conferred upon an institution years in advance regardless of conference standing.

It isn't UNLV's "fault" that it is held at the T&M. It is the best location, for a variety of reasons, and I like it there. However, it is grating to see UNLV fans try to pretend it isn't an advantage. Just admit it is an advantage and tell all others that if they want the tournament at their place they need to show the $$$$$$.

It is NOT an advantage for UNLV to play at the Conference Tournament at the Thomas & Mack. It is a DISadvantage for the Rebels.

UNLV would be happy not to host. We do it to help out the Conference.

Want to move it out of Vegas again? GO AHEAD! Kill the Tournament again!

The only thing this league is good at is DESTROYING HISTORY and TRADITION. Won't surprise me when they make another poor decision and move the Tournament again.

UNLV almost always finishes in the Top 3 and it doesn't matter where the tournament is played, UNLV will be a player.

The MWC is a weak Basketball conference. UNLV will be in the Semifinals or finals no matter where you play it.

Get used to it.

UNLV is a power in MWC Mens basketball and nothing is going to change that.

Move to Mexico. UNLV is still in the Finals.

Doesn't matter.

Good to know. So you won't mind us moving it to the Pit...every year.

2008-Present - Kicker Conditioning Coach, Team Apology

Of course attendance would be high in SLC. It would just be another HOME game for either BYU/Utah.

It may be a tilted "neutral" court, but it would not be a home game. Either team only plays there max twice a year. How many times does UNLV play at the T&M? Give me a break...they practice there.

What is the point of moving it to SLC if the rest of the MWC is gonna continue to cry and complain of a disadvantage.

You're right, so why not rotate it between Denver, LV and SLC?

BYU/Utah. Newsflash--->BYU/Utah are within a small radius of SLC. We all know how loyal those Utah fans are.

Neither one is nearly as close as UNLV to the T&M. Its a campus arena. Utah would be the closest and its still a couple miles away.

At least with Las Vegas.....you can get a good travel from other MWC colleagues due to the destination-city package. How many travelers will go to SLC? My guess is zilch....nada...ZERO!

2002 Winter Olympics drew a handful of people I heard.

Do they have an airport or bars in SLC?

You might be right here, I hear they still ride in horse drawn buggies. :rolleyes: Give me a break, SLC is a Delta hub. They may not have as many bars as LV, but how many do you need?

I think there needs to be a rotation of "neutral" courts, most likely in Denver and SLC because they have neutral arenas with sufficient capacity, and Las Vegas because they are apparently the ultimate tournament hosting site... just ask the NCAAs. Oh wait, SLC, Denver, ABQ, and San Diego have all hosted more NCAA tournament games than the T&M. Apparently they are worthy of hosting that tourney, but not the MWC.

2008-Present - Kicker Conditioning Coach, Team Apology

The MWC is a weak Basketball conference.

No it isn't. (You, however, are a weak poster.)

To me, the answer is exactly what I heard UNM's athletic director advocate when the tournament was such an adject failure in Denver: rotate it between the Thomas & Mack, The Pit, Cox Arena and SLC.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Until I see the attendance by game figures for both Denver and Vegas, I'm not sure I'm buying that people didn't travel to Denver (at least it is not as bad as some think).

The numbers as posted by the conference office were linked to Aztectalk3.net some time ago. Trust me. They WERE as bad as some think.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I don't understand why people don't think UNLV fans don't realize having the MWC tournament here is an advantage? Of course it is. We play our home games and practice on the court all the time. We get to sleep in our beds and have no travel. Of course we are then expected to win the thing every year and if we don't it's a negative on our seeding in the NCAA's.

The way I see it is that the other 8 schools in the MWC had a chance to support the tournament in Denver and you blew it. If you really wanted to have a true nuetral court the fans would have made sure the Denver location worked. But the fans vote with their wallet and they voted Las Vegas.

Personally I wish the conference would move the tournament to San Diego. I love to go there and when the Rebels win I wouldn't have to hear any bitching. Everyone wins.

Attendance numbers from the box scores of the finals

2005-06

Championship - 10840 (Wyoming vs. SDSU)

2004-05

Championship - 10628 (Utah vs. New Mexico)

2003-04

Championship - 6526 (Utah vs. UNLV)

I'm assuming that all the finals that had UNLV did well in Vegas. I was unable to find an attendance number for BYU-New Mexico from 2001. BYU's box score does not list it and UNM's website starts at the 2002-03 season.