Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FroggieWoggie

The issue for UNM v. TCU

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index....showtopic=81912

From Metropolis777:

We all know that games are won and lost in the trenches. With that in mind, I give you a glimpse into the experience factor of the TCU o-line and defensive front 6 vs. the New Mexico o-line and defensive front 6.

First up, New Mexico.....

Offensive Line

1 official returning starter

16 combined starts

24 combined games played - 3 are from the starting LG who played in only 18 snaps

2 starters making their D1 debuts on 8/30

LT Sylvester Hatten Sr - 6 starts, 8 games played

LG Mike Cannon So - 0 starts, 3 games played - only 18 snaps

C Erik Cook Jr - 10 starts, 13 games played - 9 starts at LT, 1 start at RT, played some center

RG Joshua Taufalele Jr - D1 debut

RT Byron Bell RFr - D1 debut

Defensive Front 6

1 official returning starter

26 combined starts

128 combined games played including special teams appearances

LE Kevin Balogun Sr - 0 starts, 13 games played

NT Wesley Beck Sr - 20 starts, 25 games played

RE Phillip Harrison Jr - 0 starts, 18 games played

LLB Herbert Felder Sr - 3 starts, 30 games played

MLB Zach Arnett Sr - 3 starts, 35 games played

RLB Terel Anyaibe - 0 starts, 7 games played

And TCU......

Offensive line

4 official returning starters

64 combined starts

128 combined games played

LT Marshall Newhouse Jr. - 13starts, 26 games played

LG Preston Phillips Sr. - 1 start, 21 games played

C Blake Schlueter Sr. - 23 starts, 35 games played

RG Giles Montgomery Sr. - 14 starts, 28 games played

RT Nic Richmond Jr. - 13 starts, 18 games played

Defensive Front 6

2 official returning starters

77 combined starts

193 combined games played including special teams appearances

LE Jerry Hughes Jr. - 1 starts, 23 games played

NT Cody Moore Sr. - 17 starts, 35 games played

DT James Vess Sr. - 11 starts, 24 games played

RE Matt Panfil Sr. - 6 starts, 35 games played

SLB Robert Henson Sr. - 4 starts, 38 games played

MLB Jason Phillips Sr. - 38 starts, 38 games played

ADVANTAGE FROGS

CGPandfrogscheervBYU.jpg

I think the locus of the inexperience matters. Newbies on a D-line or at linebacker are much better able to stand out and have awesome years than O-linemen. That's a group-performance position, as will be painfully obvious come Aug 30.

CGPandfrogscheervBYU.jpg

I am more concerned with UNM's O-line against TCU's D-line than TCU's O-line against UNM's D-line. Just the style of defense that UNM plays negates a lot of the experience edge that TCU has on the O-line. But O-line is probably the most inexperienced area for UNM. Looking at it optimistically, under Rocky Long UNM has historically had strong O-line's. They have usually filled the holes of departing seniors with quality replacements. We'll see how quickly they jell.

I am more concerned with UNM's O-line against TCU's D-line than TCU's O-line against UNM's D-line.

exactly the point, my friend. The Lobos start against (arguably) the toughest defensive front they'll face all year-- and likely will have their weakest offensive front of the year in that battle. That's not good for the cherry 'n white.

Curiously, the picture will be slightly (but not totally) reversed next year. The Frogs lose some important seniors off both lines after this season. But the experience behind them is deeper than it was behind UNM's seniors who graduated in '08.

CGPandfrogscheervBYU.jpg

exactly the point, my friend. The Lobos start against (arguably) the toughest defensive front they'll face all year-- and likely will have their weakest offensive front of the year in that battle. That's not good for the cherry 'n white.

Curiously, the picture will be slightly (but not totally) reversed next year. The Frogs lose some important seniors off both lines after this season. But the experience behind them is deeper than it was behind UNM's seniors who graduated in '08.

I'm not convinced that TCU's D-line is going to be as dominant as you are suggesting against UNM. Sure, it's a concern, but as I said, UNM has historically had strong O-lines under Rocky. I don't think TCU is just going to plow through UNM's O-line as you are suggesting. We'll see.

It's cherry and silver, btw.

I'm not convinced that TCU's D-line is going to be as dominant as you are suggesting against UNM. Sure, it's a concern, but as I said, UNM has historically had strong O-lines under Rocky. I don't think TCU is just going to plow through UNM's O-line as you are suggesting. We'll see.

It's cherry and silver, btw.

nine days, my cherry and silver friend. Nine days!

CGPandfrogscheervBYU.jpg

One of the main reasons that New Mexico always finishes in the top half of the MWC is that the Lobos always have a huge O-line, a large D-line, and some pretty good speed on the ends with talent in the middle. Swap that with Wyoming the past few seasons and you could swap their records as well. It's also one of the main reasons I expect New Mexico to reload rather than rebuild and give the Horned Frogs a very competitive game (even though TCU has got to be favored, it's week 1, you never know!).

#20 BYU 14, #3 Oklahoma 13

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#14 BYU 44, #16 Oregon State 20

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92

I have to admit, TCU will probably win this game. But, with the position battles listed above, I don't think TCU will dominate as some have predicted. TCU does have the advantage, and will exploit UNM's inexeperienced. TCU has been the only foe in the MWC to really give UNM's defense a hard time.

But! UNM's defense will be just fine,

UNM's OL on the other hand................

UNM's OL on the other hand................

that's the issue! UNM's defense is going to be good this year-- right off the bat. But it's offensive line (and therefore all of its offense) is going to reek for a while. TCU can exploit that on every down, and will.

CGPandfrogscheervBYU.jpg

TCU has been the only foe in the MWC to really give UNM's defense a hard time.

New Mexico's defense is designed specifically to stop the spread. It should do best against Utah, BYU, and UNLV, and worst against TCU and Air Force.

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92

Every year we lose a lot of OL (we have four in the NFL right now) but the coaching staff always seems to reload. A combination of good redshirts and JC players help. The OL will improve over the year, but we will not "reek" the first game. TCU fans are sounding a little BYUish here.

TCU fans are sounding a little BYUish here.

:rolleyes: Better than New Mexico fans sounding NMSUish.

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92

I don't know why everyone is making a big deal about UNM's Oline. It seems RL has continually been able reload that position without any major problems. Sure we've had lethargic offenses in years past but that was mainly attributed to piss poor OC play calling. Our O is not that complicated and RL has made some nice plug ins with JC talent, we should be ok.

Lobos by 10 pts!

roflbot.jpg

Point made.

That you're an Aggie WAC-off? No BYU fans have been rude on this thread, so quit acting like a tool.

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92