Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Portland at UNLV

Internet stream: Mountain West Network/Campus Insiders (Ari Wolfe, Joe Cravens)

UNLV is 3-0 all-time vs. Portland

UNLV is 130-55 all-time against teams that currently make up the West Coast Conference

UNLV Record in Thomas & Mack Center:  . . . . . . . . . . 436-92 (.826)/32nd season

UNLV All-Time Record: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ............. 1,210-491 (.711)/57th season

As a team, the Runnin’ Rebels lead the country in blocked shots (8.6 bpg) and are 16th in field-goal percentage defense (35.7)

UNLV has mainly used a rotation this season that includes five freshmen, one sophomore and two seniors

Portland is coming off an 80-75 win at Sacramento State on Sunday. Prior to that, the Pilots lost at home in overtime to Oregon State (65-58) and defeated Portland State (83-71), also at home

The Pilots started the season off 5-0 before losing to Valparaiso

The Pilots are in their ninth season under head coach Eric Reveno, who has a career record of 118-144 (.450)

The Pilots returned nine letterwinners, including four starters, off last year’s team

Portland is shooting 44.7 percent from the field, 35.9 percent from 3-point range and 72.6 percent from the free-throw line, while averaging 71.8 ppg. It is allowing 42.2 percent from the field, 30.5 percent from 3-point range and 64.6 ppg from its opponents

Christian Wood is fourth in the country double-doubles with six

Cody Doolin is fourth in the country in assist turnover ratio at 4.9

Wood is eighth in blocks per game (3.38), while Goodluck Okonoboh is 13th (3.13). Wood is also 28th in rebounding (9.6) and Doolin is 37th in assists (5.5).

UNLV holds the NCAA Division I record for most consecutive games scoring a 3-pointer. Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 916 games played

Dave Rice is 49-12 (.803) at the Thomas & Mack Center as head coach

The Runnin’ Rebels are 48-9 in their last 57 regular-season games (.842) at the TMC

The Runnin’ Rebels have the best all-time home-court win percentage in the MWC

South Dakota, which was shooting 36 percent from 3-point territory, hit just 2-for-17 and rarely got open looks against the Runnin’ Rebels.

South Dakota was harassed into 13 first-half turnovers that UNLV converted into 20 points

Cody Doolin has 1 turnover in his last 3 games (88 minutes of play)

Patrick McCaw has 14 steals with 9 coming in his last two games

Jelan Kendrick played a season high 38 minutes & scored a season high 13 points vs South Dakota

Dwayne Morgan played a season low 15 minutes vs South Dakota

The 8th game vs South Dakota was the first time Goodluck Okonoboh did not register a blocked shot

Rashad Vaughn has scored in double figures in 5 or 7 games

Christian Wood has scored in double figures in 6 of 8 games

Wood has 10+ rebound in 6 of 8 games

Opponents have taken 57 more FG attempts than UNLV

Opponents have taken 33 more 3ptFG attempts than UNLV

UNLV is shooting 44.5% from the field

UNLV is shooting 35.9% from the arc

UNLV is shooting 58.9% from the FT line

22% of UNLV's FG attempts are by Vaughn

Vaughn & Wood combine for 40% of UNLV's FG attempts

Jordan Cornish is shooting 85.7% at the FT line, no other Rebel is better than 62.5%

Dantley Walker is the only player to foul out of a game this season

Walker has 5 fouls in 4 games & 30 minutes of playing time

Barry Cheaney is 3rd on the team in scoring at 8.0 ppg

Cheaney has played in 1 game

UNLV has outscored opponents by 49 points this season

I haven't watched a game since Albany, I'm just hoping to see SOME kind of improvement. Rice's teams never really get better as the season progresses (his first two years both teams faded down the stretch and his last two were just stagnant all year), so I am just hoping to see some improvement.

Guest #1Stunner

Just an FYI, Portland last season was a skilled team, but lacked athleticism.  Their tall center, Van Der Mars is a good player and can have big games.

They were expected to finish in the middle of the WCC this year:

2014-15 WCC Preseason Men's Basketball Coaches Poll

Team (First Place Vote) Pts.
1. Gonzaga (9) 81
2. BYU (1) 69
3. Saint Mary's 62
4. San Francisco 59
5. San Diego 47
6. Portland 45
7. Pepperdine 29
7. Santa Clara 29
9. Loyola Marymount 19
10. Pacific 10

Internet stream: Mountain West Network/Campus Insiders (Ari Wolfe, Joe Cravens)

UNLV is 3-0 all-time vs. Portland

UNLV is 130-55 all-time against teams that currently make up the West Coast Conference

UNLV Record in Thomas & Mack Center:  . . . . . . . . . . 436-92 (.826)/32nd season

UNLV All-Time Record: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ............. 1,210-491 (.711)/57th season

As a team, the Runnin’ Rebels lead the country in blocked shots (8.6 bpg) and are 16th in field-goal percentage defense (35.7)

UNLV has mainly used a rotation this season that includes five freshmen, one sophomore and two seniors

Portland is coming off an 80-75 win at Sacramento State on Sunday. Prior to that, the Pilots lost at home in overtime to Oregon State (65-58) and defeated Portland State (83-71), also at home

The Pilots started the season off 5-0 before losing to Valparaiso

The Pilots are in their ninth season under head coach Eric Reveno, who has a career record of 118-144 (.450)

The Pilots returned nine letterwinners, including four starters, off last year’s team

Portland is shooting 44.7 percent from the field, 35.9 percent from 3-point range and 72.6 percent from the free-throw line, while averaging 71.8 ppg. It is allowing 42.2 percent from the field, 30.5 percent from 3-point range and 64.6 ppg from its opponents

Christian Wood is fourth in the country double-doubles with six

Cody Doolin is fourth in the country in assist turnover ratio at 4.9

Wood is eighth in blocks per game (3.38), while Goodluck Okonoboh is 13th (3.13). Wood is also 28th in rebounding (9.6) and Doolin is 37th in assists (5.5).

UNLV holds the NCAA Division I record for most consecutive games scoring a 3-pointer. Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 916 games played

Dave Rice is 49-12 (.803) at the Thomas & Mack Center as head coach

The Runnin’ Rebels are 48-9 in their last 57 regular-season games (.842) at the TMC

The Runnin’ Rebels have the best all-time home-court win percentage in the MWC

South Dakota, which was shooting 36 percent from 3-point territory, hit just 2-for-17 and rarely got open looks against the Runnin’ Rebels.

South Dakota was harassed into 13 first-half turnovers that UNLV converted into 20 points

Cody Doolin has 1 turnover in his last 3 games (88 minutes of play)

Patrick McCaw has 14 steals with 9 coming in his last two games

Jelan Kendrick played a season high 38 minutes & scored a season high 13 points vs South Dakota

Dwayne Morgan played a season low 15 minutes vs South Dakota

The 8th game vs South Dakota was the first time Goodluck Okonoboh did not register a blocked shot

Rashad Vaughn has scored in double figures in 5 or 7 games

Christian Wood has scored in double figures in 6 of 8 games

Wood has 10+ rebound in 6 of 8 games

Opponents have taken 57 more FG attempts than UNLV

Opponents have taken 33 more 3ptFG attempts than UNLV

UNLV is shooting 44.5% from the field

UNLV is shooting 35.9% from the arc

UNLV is shooting 58.9% from the FT line

22% of UNLV's FG attempts are by Vaughn

Vaughn & Wood combine for 40% of UNLV's FG attempts

Jordan Cornish is shooting 85.7% at the FT line, no other Rebel is better than 62.5%

Dantley Walker is the only player to foul out of a game this season

Walker has 5 fouls in 4 games & 30 minutes of playing time

Barry Cheaney is 3rd on the team in scoring at 8.0 ppg

Cheaney has played in 1 game

UNLV has outscored opponents by 49 points this season

UNLV is well down the list on offensive rebounding. Add that to being -4 in turnovers, and they must be more efficient than their opponents shooting wise just to break even. 

SDSU rebounds 39.6% of their offensive misses.

Nevada rebounds 39.0% of their offensive misses.

AFA rebounds 38.6% of their offensive misses.

CSU rebounds 35.7% of their offensive misses.

UNM rebounds 33.0 of their offensive misses.

FSU rebounds 31.2% of their offensive misses.

BSU rebounds 27.0% of their offensive misses.

SJSU rebounds 25.6% of their misses.

UNLV rebound 25.6% of their offensive misses. 

Wyoming rebounds 25.0% of their misses.

USU rebounds 20.4% of their offensive misses.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

UNLV is well down the list on offensive rebounding. Add that to being -4 in turnovers, and they must be more efficient than their opponents shooting wise just to break even. 

SDSU rebounds 39.6% of their offensive misses.

Nevada rebounds 39.0% of their offensive misses.

AFA rebounds 38.6% of their offensive misses.

CSU rebounds 35.7% of their offensive misses.

UNM rebounds 33.0 of their offensive misses.

FSU rebounds 31.2% of their offensive misses.

BSU rebounds 27.0% of their offensive misses.

SJSU rebounds 25.6% of their misses.

UNLV rebound 25.6% of their offensive misses. 

Wyoming rebounds 25.0% of their misses.

USU rebounds 20.4% of their offensive misses.

Portland only allows opponents to rebound 25.9% of their misses - very good. 

Portland rebounds 37.6% of their misses. 

Portland seems to be a very good rebounding team. That aspect could be a mis-match. 

meh, rebounding is only 1 aspect of the game

rebs going to gift me with a birthday win tonight but i'll be too busy watching the nuggets lose to the rockets to watch 

Hence the use of the word "Aspect" in my post. 

Just an FYI, Portland last season was a skilled team, but lacked athleticism.  Their tall center, Van Der Mars is a good player and can have big games.

They were expected to finish in the middle of the WCC this year:

2014-15 WCC Preseason Men's Basketball Coaches Poll

Team (First Place Vote) Pts.
1. Gonzaga (9) 81
2. BYU (1) 69
3. Saint Mary's 62
4. San Francisco 59
5. San Diego 47
6. Portland 45
7. Pepperdine 29
7. Santa Clara 29
9. Loyola Marymount 19
10. Pacific 10

I watched the beat Princeton in Vegas last year and they weren't that bad, I remember the Van Der Mars kid. He wasn't horrible. I thin he is a Euro kid too, I liked the Bailey kid. He was pretty god, not sure if he is still on the team but he was a scorer. Reveno's teams are usually pretty tough and fight hard despite not having the best talent around. They are usually fairly respectable. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Who you rooting for?

Casey roots against UNLV pretty much at every turn...........he disguises himself as a UNLV fan though.............he's had this love hate persona gig going on for better part of a decade on the interwebs.