Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebaholic

Livengood espn interview

Did anyone else hear this abomination on Friday evening?

He basically MFd allowing boosters with money to have influence on the hiring process, and then related a story in which he happily spurned many powerful people with money who wanted to heavily get involved if he hired a certain coach. He didn't trust them or the strings attached. What???? Straight from the horses mouth. Go to around the 9 min Mark

http://podcast.espn1100.com/kwwn2/4657502.mp3

Worst AD ever.

Said this years ago boosters wanted Theus and they burned them and Theus to hire his favorite little dork Rice because he had a better interview.

Boosters did not want Theus. In fact, the most influential basketball boosters were threatening to stop donating because if Theus was hired the money he would be brining in with him came from the Wynn's. You know, the people who played a major role in bringing down Tark? There are some really bad feelings still with the UNLV basketball boosters with the role they played in destroying UNLV basketball as we knew it. As well there should be.

They only promised to pay his salary for 1 year up to a million dollars. WOW......dropping Findlay as a booster all for $1,000,000. That would have been brilliant.

And to say he failed miserably in his interview is an understatement. He also interviewed with the Grizzles. That interview went just as bad. I know someone in the Grizzle's front office and they said they we're actually laughing at how bad the interview was.

You love to promote Theus as this "savior," so I thought it was time to put some actual facts out there.

Just because he played basketball for UNLV doesn't make untouchable when it comes to criticism. And, it also doesn't make him a good coach either.

I'll never forget the Arizona Republic article published the day after Livengood was fired by the U of A. It detailed how damn near every single Wildcats program except men's basketball diminished in quality during his tenure.

Horrible, horrible hire by UNLV.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Boosters did not want Theus. In fact, the most influential basketball boosters were threatening to stop donating because if Theus was hired the money he would be brining in with him came from the Wynn's. You know, the people who played a major role in bringing down Tark? There are some really bad feelings still with the UNLV basketball boosters with the role they played in destroying UNLV basketball as we knew it. As well there should be.

They only promised to pay his salary for 1 year up to a million dollars. WOW......dropping Findlay as a booster all for $1,000,000. That would have been brilliant.

And to say he failed miserably in his interview is an understatement. He also interviewed with the Grizzles. That interview went just as bad. I know someone in the Grizzle's front office and they said they we're actually laughing at how bad the interview was.

You love to promote Theus as this "savior," so I thought it was time to put some actual facts out there.

Just because he played basketball for UNLV doesn't make untouchable when it comes to criticism. And, it also doesn't make him a good coach either.

As someone who had only been in Vegas since 99 I never knew the backstory on Wynn taking down Tark but I was filled in the other day. I never liked the man (in all honestly I wanted to see him slip off the side of the resort that bears his name when he was doing those commercials standing on the roof) but now knowing what really went down I wish I was on the roof to push him off. 

The way he panders to Rat Face and kisses his behind sickens me, he knows UNLV fans hate Duke and he just parades Rat Face around town like he is some hero to Las Vegas. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Said this years ago boosters wanted Theus and they burned them and Theus to hire his favorite little dork Rice because he had a better interview.

LOL, still worrying about Theus, one of the scrubbiest coaches in the nation who's team can't even keep their noses clean.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

LOL, still worrying about Theus, one of the scrubbiest coaches in the nation who's team can't even keep their noses clean.

Noses clean? About what you ignorant f*ck? You probably don't have the slightlest clue what's going on with Northridge and Theus. A online class that was discredited under their nose? You call that being dirty? It's called tough luck.

Theus took a program with absolutely nothing going for it, and had them one bullsh*t call away from the NCAA Tourney last year. Now he gets blamed for a online class getting pulled, and most of his team gets suspended. Same bullsh*t selective enforcement, Northridge gets hammered but UNC still gets to play? What a crock. Still doing more with less than Rice has been able to accomplish with elite recruits, facilities, venue, and at the helm of a program with national recognition, and deep pocketed boosters supporting it. He still had Northridge closer to the NCAA Tourney last year than f*cking UNLV.

I wish everyone was half as hard on Rice as they were on Theus. Given the same pressure and criticism to succeed. Rice would've been fired already if that was the case. F*cking racist cultist moron. Rice gets all the slack in the world, with all this talent and ingrained advantages coaching at UNLV has as his disposal. Must be because he's a good little white boy. Theus took over a dumpster fire and showed progress in Year 1 and he gets raked over the coals. Oh well, give it time and Theus will get Northridge on track while Rice keeps riding UNLV further and further into the ground.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Guest #1Stunner

I know Jim Livengood is a proud BYU alum.  I always assumed he hired Rice because he wanted to turn UNLV's athletic department into a BYU clone program.

That said, I think Tina is an outstanding AD for UNLV right now.

Guest #1Stunner

Noses clean? About what you ignorant f*ck? You probably don't have the slightlest clue what's going on with Northridge and Theus. A online class that was discredited under their nose? You call that being dirty? It's called tough luck.

Theus took a program with absolutely nothing going for it, and had them one bullsh*t call away from the NCAA Tourney last year. Now he gets blamed for a online class getting pulled, and most of his team gets suspended. Same bullsh*t selective enforcement, Northridge gets hammered but UNC still gets to play? What a crock. Still doing more with less than Rice has been able to accomplish with elite recruits, facilities, venue, and at the helm of a program with national recognition, and deep pocketed boosters supporting it. He still had Northridge closer to the NCAA Tourney last year than f*cking UNLV.

I wish everyone was half as hard on Rice as they were on Theus. Given the same pressure and criticism to succeed. Rice would've been fired already if that was the case. F*cking racist cultist moron. Rice gets all the slack in the world, with all this talent and ingrained advantages coaching at UNLV has as his disposal. Must be because he's a good little white boy. Theus took over a dumpster fire and showed progress in Year 1 and he gets raked over the coals. Oh well, give it time and Theus will get Northridge on track while Rice keeps riding UNLV further and further into the ground.

You need to understand....  People from Utah distrust Theus.  

This is because Jerry Sloan (former, beloved head coach of the Utah Jazz...a true old school "hard ass" who doesn't put up with bullshit), told everyone that Theus was a douche and a ball hog.   Theus is probably lucky that Sloan didn't kick his ass.

When Jerry Sloan has said for years "watch out for that douchebag Reggie Theus", people in Utah listened...

My guess is that Jim Livengood contacted Jerry Sloan during the UNLV interviewing process and Sloan told Livengood to stay away from Theus (a player who isn't a hall of famer, and can't get an NBA head coaching job).

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-03-06/sports/0303060186_1_bears-general-manager-rod-thorn-salary-cap

A. I recently spoke with former Bulls coach and longtime Utah Jazz boss Jerry Sloan about this. Sloan remembers all too well how former Bulls guard Reggie Theus and others on the 1981-82 team mounted a campaign to oust him as coach. Sloan's Bulls were 19-32 just past the midway point of that season when managing partner Jonathan Kovler and general manager Rod Thorn decided to fire him.

Didn't Tark, himself, endorse Theus as coach over Rice?  

Guest #1Stunner

Didn't Tark, himself, endorse Theus as coach over Rice?  

Yes.  You are correct.  But Jim Livengood has ties to the State of Utah (Livengood is a BYU alum), and so he put a lot of stock into what Jerry Sloan has been saying about Theus.  Jerry Sloan is a hall of famer, and has his jersey retired by 2 NBA teams.

Yes. You are correct. But Jim Livengood has ties to the State of Utah (Livengood is a BYU alum), and so he put a lot of stock into what Jerry Sloan has been saying about Theus. Jerry Sloan is a hall of famer, and has his jersey retired by 2 NBA teams.

You are insane. Why do you think everything revolves around Utah or byu?

Guest #1Stunner

You are insane. Why do you think everything revolves around Utah or byu?

Ummmm...  Is this thread not about Jim Livengood?

Have you not been paying attention to (1) Jim Livengood is a BYU alum, (2) David Rice was hired on to be UNLV's coach from.....BYU.

Why do you find the above facts irrelevant to this conversation?  Why do you think Jim Livengood went with a BYU assistant over Theus?

And yes... Jim Livengood and Jerry Sloan are friends.  Jerry Sloan regularly attends BYU basketball games.....

It's no coincidence that Jim Livengood elected to pass on Reggie Theus.  Connect the dots....

Don't worry.  We haven't infiltrated Tina's administration yet.