Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

UNLV best 0-3 team in country

Which is why I said UNM has one of the best fanbases in the country.

Not sure where this "New Mexico still shows up to games" notion came from. Unlv drew 106,000 to UNM's 120,000 last year with 1 less home game. Unlv averaged 21,199 to UNM's 20,027.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2011.pdf

nXlmx.gif

Back to Back Mountain West Tourney Champs

Not sure where this "New Mexico still shows up to games" notion came from. Unlv drew 106,000 to UNM's 120,000 last year with 1 less home game. Unlv averaged 21,199 to UNM's 20,027.

http://fs.ncaa.org/D...ndance/2011.pdf

All this means is that the visiting fans are more likely to go to Vegas than ABQ. Look at the home slate last year and venture a guess at how many visiting fans attended the games. Start with Wisconsin which is probably at least 14,000 of the difference alone.

NM shows up to games you boozo dont. BYU still avg around 59k in 2 losing seasons

I used to think UNLV had the most clueless football fanbase in the entire country. Now I see that the delusion reaches further than that. It's real easy for fans of other schools to tell the UNLV fans who have been hanging on silver linings for 20+ years, that they just need to give Hauck more time. Eh, I got passed that around 1997. The lack of football IQ is not surprising seeing as you can't even form a coherent sentence. To have some fan of a winning program step in and say the UNLV fans should be more patient, is condescending at best. Delusional and flat out stupid is more like it. It's embarrassing enough to be a UNLV football fan, no less have to listen to some fool with a severe case of arrested development tell us how we are terrible fans for thinking we should win more than 2-game s a year in this terrible conference.

This thread was started to bash UNLV.

Robe doesnt believe what he said, and wants the counter arguemnts to be bashing UNLV.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Didn't seem too unusual at the time. It's been since the disasterous hire of Dana Dimel (you're welcome, Wyoming....we took that yoke offa your plate) that we've hired an existing HC to replace a departed HC. Immediately prior to Levine, the previous two were - at most - OC types with short tenures running something prior to HC. Now look at em (Briles & Sumlin). This current Levine cat got his shot. He 'felt' right. He said the right things. He recruited well. He represented 'continuity'*.

He's killing our program. He's gotta go. We're busy running amok playing I Want That Guy for fans' HC slotting. We'll be fortunate to scratch together 6 wins this year. I'm guessing 4 (UAB, Tulane, @Marshall, @Southern Methodist). We will lose to North Texas and Rice will retake the annual Bayou Bucket we fight for. We'll be 0-5 prior to our first win. The worst season since 2001...a Dimel year.

*continuity, program constipation...we're finding out the hard way it's a fine line.

never was sure why Dimel didn't have success at Houston. He was kind of like DC in some ways but his Wyo teams seemed more defensive oriented than offensive. But guys like him and Vic Koenning seem to be good in coaching football specifics, but not good as head coaches. DC might end up being the same.

All this means is that the visiting fans are more likely to go to Vegas than ABQ. Look at the home slate last year and venture a guess at how many visiting fans attended the games. Start with Wisconsin which is probably at least 14,000 of the difference alone.

Ya I can easily see how a game played AT Wisconsin would equal the 14k differentlce.

Carry on

The deal with Hauck is whether the teams quits on him or keeps playing hard.

I expect them to quit in the next few games. Hauck will be long gone.

Hauk should have been FIRED after the NAU loss. Send a message that type of failure in unaccepted at UNLV. Take the rest of the year to find a suitable HC and for gods sake pay him a reasonable salary. Something around 800-900k should be able to land you guys a decent HC.

roflbot.jpg

Unlv

Hawai'i

S. Utah

Colorado State

Boise

SDSU

New Mexico

Colorado State

Texas Tech

Sam Houston State

New Mexico State

Air Force

Unlv

nXlmx.gif

Back to Back Mountain West Tourney Champs

http://fs.ncaa.org/D...ndance/2011.pdf

Here is something interesting to think about. UNLV's attendance is on a downward spiral this year and they may have had the best ticket value in the country this year. They have had 3 home games and every one of them went down to the final snap of the game to determine a winner. I doubt that any other football program in the country will get such competitive games out of their season tickets. Yet despite the exciting football being played at Sam Boyd, the UNLV fans are deserting the ship in droves.

Here is something interesting to think about. UNLV's attendance is on a downward spiral this year and they may have had the best ticket value in the country this year. They have had 3 home games and every one of them went down to the final snap of the game to determine a winner. I doubt that any other football program in the country will get such competitive games out of their season tickets. Yet despite the exciting football being played at Sam Boyd, the UNLV fans are deserting the ship in droves.

2002 5-7

2003 6-6

2004 2-8

2005 2-9

2006 2-10

2007 2-10

2008 5-7

2009 5-7

2010 2-11

2011 2-10

2012 0-3

How much abuse should a fanbase be expected to take?

Which is why I said UNM has one of the best fanbases in the country.

So because UNLV fans don't show up, we should have to live with one of the least successful FBS coaches in the entire country? His winning percentage is 14% and he is a quarter thru his 3rd season. But that should be acceptable because our fans don't support the team? WTF?

And you never answered my question as to how UNLV should be considered improved.

have you seen UNLV give up this year?

The Masters 5k road race All American.

have you seen UNLV give up this year?

They've only played 3 games, and against some of the worst competition in all of football. I like the effort, but we should be beyond patting on the head for good effort. We should not be losing to NAU. They might try real hard, but they are poorly prepared and don't play smart. Again, who should be responsible for that? The fans?

Are you really trying to say unlv has played entertaining football?

I truly hope you are joking...watching 2 inept teams play that can't keep out of their own way is hardly exciting. Just because a game is close doesn't mean it was good entertainment...seeing which team would make fewest boneheaded plays, phew must see tv for sure.

2002 5-7

2003 6-6

2004 2-8

2005 2-9

2006 2-10

2007 2-10

2008 5-7

2009 5-7

2010 2-11

2011 2-10

2012 0-3

How much abuse should a fanbase be expected to take?

Shark; be careful providing facts. Some San Jose fans don't like facts.

As for UNLV; it is discouraging for fans when the team hasn't had a winning season since 2000. 11 years is a long time. Just like any type of product, the university has to re-brand and re-market their football team. They have to develop the pride in the team as part of the university. In high school, we supported and attending many games our children participated in where the team totally sucked. But we supported our children. That is a MAJOR PROBLEM. We support our children, but students don't support their peers.

Enrollment:

UNM: 35,000+

UNLV: 28,000+

RENO: 18,000+

Fresno: 25,000+

Most universities give students a discount, sometimes free, to attend games. Could you imagine the "Attitude" and possibly change of playing "heart" in some of these teams if besides the normal ticket holders, if an additional 25,000 or 30,000 attended the game? It's easy to do this for basketball. An arena doesn't hold nearly as many as a stadium. You can suck at basketball and still have a decent attendance. If the universities really marketed and pumped up the student pride in their teams and got them to attend the games, I would BET MY ANNUAL SALARY that the team would do better. I'd guarantee it. It's easy to support a team that's winning. It takes pride and commitment to stand by your team when they're losing. And when you have roughly a 20-25% turnover of student body every year, it's easy to not be "INTO THE FOOTBALL THING" when you first get there. Especially if your team hasn't had winning seasons in a while.

27fb3675e6bf8bbd155cf063ad59994d.jpg