Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utenation

Boise AD comes clean on Scheduling and throws

First, I didn't say that's how I feel, but an argument given about why Bama lost. So that it is used, and can contribute to why they didn't take a PR hit after the game.

Second, I'm sorry, but I don't believe that any video of people screaming and jumping up and down and practicing hard, means they were fired up. They jump up and down and scream because everyone does it. They practice hard cause they have a scholarship riding on it. Actions don't always explain motivation. Playing to win the Sugar bowl or playing not to lose their position on the depth chart? Also, motivation is dependent on the percieved worthiness of the prize. A BCS berth is well worth more to a non-AQ Utah, than a Alabama team that it's expected of it. They are coming off a deflating loss that keeps them from a NCG appearance, and Utah was not mentioned as a potential NCG contender until AFTER it took out Alabama. Plus you talk about Commentators talking about it. Not the best source. I mean talking heads never say things out of their a** or make up crap. Again, the comentators have a reason to hype Alabama....money... ESPN is really going to let their commentators say "Hey, Alabama doesn't care." ESPN is really going to say that the bowl games outside of the NCG game are irrelevant....but they are. It's brand protection.

That said, I don't know whether they were excited to be there or not......but neither do you. You can lay out info and I can and we will never know. Heck, no one will ever know because even a player will never slap the university in the face and say, "I didn't care to be there." It's not in the interest of the player to do so.

Youtube is blocked on my work computer, but I'll find the link for you later, or you could go find it yourself. I'm going to believe the people watching the practices beforehand, not the fans who needed some excuse after the fact. At least it's an opinion based on some personal observation and not complete speculation.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yours is wrong.

First, I didn't say that's how I feel, but an argument given about why Bama lost. So that it is used, and can contribute to why they didn't take a PR hit after the game.

Second, I'm sorry, but I don't believe that any video or people screaming and jumping up and down and practicing hard, does not mean they were fired up. That jump up and down and scream because everyone does it. They practice hard cause they have a scholarship riding on it. Actions don't always explain motivation. Playing to win the Sugar bowl or playing not to lose their position on the depth chart? Also, motivation is dependent on the percieved worthiness of the prize. A BCS berth is well worth more to a non-AQ Utah, than a Alabama team that it's expected of it. They are coming off a deflating loss that keeps them from a NCG appearance, and Utah was not mentioned as a potential NCG contender until AFTER it took out Alabama. Plus you talk about Commentators talking about it. Not the best source. I mean talking heads never say things out of their a** or make up crap. Again, the comentators have a reason to hype Alabama....money... ESPN is really going to let their commentators say "Hey, Alabama doesn't care." ESPN is really going to say that the bowl games outside of the NCG game are irrelevant....but they are. It's brand protection.

That said, I don't know whether they were excited to be there or not......but neither do you. You can lay out info and I can and we will never know. Heck, no one will ever know because even a player will never slap the university in the face and say, "I didn't care to be there." It's not in the interest of the player to do so.

Whatever it may be, there is clearly no respect in facing your peers, critics and rabid fans in the off season if you're a team like Alabama...

Saben might be able to spin not motivated to the media, but those who know better call that bad coaching...

Knowing Saben's ego before and after the game, somehow I think his gameplan all along was to send the little team from Utah a message.. He is a prefectionist and unmotivated just doesn't seem to be his style..

Each year a Non Aq team beats a power in a bowl like this, it sets the table for one of our teams to step on the big NC stage.. If the mission of the BCS is to truly stomp out the little buy, not everyone got the same memo UGA did against Hawaii...

Youtube is blocked on my work computer, but I'll find the link for you later, or you could go find it yourself. I'm going to believe the people watching the practices beforehand, not the fans who needed some excuse after the fact. At least it's an opinion based on some personal observation and not complete speculation.

The Bama players looked pretty fired up during the pre-game coin flip as well.

Bama's center Caldwell was clearly saying "Im'a Keel you!" to Utah's players.

"Had to come back real quick for this one.....

Boise St finished 4th in the coaches poll, same as Utah. Had Petersen violated the rules and voted Boise St #1 like Whittingham, Boise St would have finished no worse than THIRD and very likely 2nd. Look at how few votes seperated BSU and Florida.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2009/seasontype/3

PWNED." -- IanforHeisman

www.mwcboard.com/www/forums/index.php?showtopic=23865

Well, it's whatever. You're entitled to your opinion. I don't really have one on the subject. I'm not tied enough to either side of the argument to create an opinion. All I'm saying is that they people allowed to see the practices, media, staffers,they have to walk the line and hype their product. And that does BOTH ways. Bama people need to say they weren't that motivated. They didn't want to lose, but they wanted to be elsewhere. Utah need to say that Bama played hard and lost to a superior team. ESPN needs to say hey, this game matters. Bama wanted to be here. Utah too.

So take it with a grain of salt...I do.

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

Whatever it may be, there is clearly no respect in facing your peers, critics and rabid fans in the off season if you're a team like Alabama...

Saben might be able to spin not motivated to the media, but those who know better call that bad coaching...

Knowing Saben's ego before and after the game, somehow I think his gameplan all along was to send the little team from Utah a message.. He is a prefectionist and unmotivated just doesn't seem to be his style..

Each year a Non Aq team beats a power in a bowl like this, it sets the table for one of our teams to step on the big NC stage.. If the mission of the BCS is to truly stomp out the little buy, not everyone got the same memo UGA did against Hawaii...

Yeah I can agree.

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

Turn a camera on me and I can dance like a monkey too. And everybody looks excited on "Friday Night Lights" too.

Hey, I'm leaving to go to Austin for a UT Volleyball, just so in case someone posts, they don't think I'm ducking out.

And to make sure, I think we are arguing two different things now. I'm not arguing wheter or not they were motivated. I don't really care and we will never know the answer. The point I'm arguing is that jumping up and down and practicing hard and scream does not equal motivation. Words and actions before the game do not equal true feelings in all cases. They easily can. But they aren't mutually exclusive. You can practice hard all week and not care about the game. You can practice horribly, but be really motivated during the game.

Also someone's words, don't mean anything especially when they have motivation to lie. The talking heads have to hype the game.

So just letting you know that I am not arguing whether or not they were motivated, but rather your points in arguing that they were. I...just find human reasoning, motivations and behavior to be interesting. So yeah....

Enjoy the day, take care.

Not just to Utah's players, but to Sly specifically. That did not work out for him, considering Sly had 3 or 4 sacks and a fumble recovery.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yours is wrong.

Guest ragtimeJOE

Agree with the blue turf, but has anyone thought that perhaps the bsu rep is getting around? There is video evidence of the fans in the Blount situation. There were some questionable hits in the Oregon game. Replaying the punch over and over. bsu fans are always on here highlighting opposing players throwing punches against their guys. One example is the WYO running back who had didn't seem to have problems anywhere else.

TCU and Utah can schedule 'em; maybe there is something else to it. Before the bsu clown start jumping on me, it just seems, as an outsider, that a lot of things happen at boise. This is just a thought and if there is a rep, it may or may not be warranted (that is for another discussion).

Agree with the blue turf, but has anyone thought that perhaps the bsu rep is getting around? There is video evidence of the fans in the Blount situation. There were some questionable hits in the Oregon game. Replaying the punch over and over. bsu fans are always on here highlighting opposing players throwing punches against their guys. One example is the WYO running back who had didn't seem to have problems anywhere else.

TCU and Utah can schedule 'em; maybe there is something else to it. Before the bsu clown start jumping on me, it just seems, as an outsider, that a lot of things happen at boise. This is just a thought and if there is a rep, it may or may not be warranted (that is for another discussion).

If true, it may be a "tie-breaking" reason not to schedule them. But I'd wager it's about money lost and potential loss on the season (the order of this may vary week to week depending on the program).

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

Guest ragtimeJOE

If true, it may be a "tie-breaking" reason not to schedule them. But I'd wager it's about money lost and potential loss on the season (the order of this may vary week to week depending on the program).

You are probably right that it is not the deal breaker. Though, I will be interested to see if Oregon schedules them again.

A little bit of comparing apples to oranges...It didn't hurt Oklahoma or Alabama because it was at the end of the season. Look at it from Oregon's perspective this year: If they hadn't played Boise State the first game of the season and played New Mexico State instead, they would have been very involved in the National Title game discussion up until the Stanford game.

And they never would have found out how good LaMichael James is!

Actually it isn't comparing apples to oranges. Boise was a ranked team when they beat Oregon and regardless of conference affiliation, if Oregon had won out, they would have jumped Boise in the polls because of SOS. The major argument for not playing teams like Boise, Utah and etc is that BCS programs have nothing to gain from it and more to lose. They are afraid it could hurt their image on a national level. OU wasn't hurt by losing to BYU except by dropping in the polls which they would have done regardless of opponent. Matter of fact, OU was still ranked with three losses at one point.

My point is that the argument for not playing non-BCS schools is flawed and beyond.

It has been argued, over and over, that Alabama was disinterested in the Sugar Bowl. But those arguing it are wrong. There is a highlight video of the Sugar Bowl on Youtube that starts off with the commentators discussing how fired up and focused Alabama was during practice. Check it out. Alabama fans and coaches used the "not interested" excuse post-hoc. Prior to the game they were fired up. The problem for Alabama wasn't motivation, it's that Utah was faster and better-coached.

You will get a laugh out of this one. On the Rivals message board, some Alabama fans are already giving execuses for why they might lose to a TCU or Boise St. if they have to play them in the Sugar Bowl. Same excuse as with Utah - "we just are not going to be interested unless it was a NC game". Except they providing the excuse in advance this time.

Truth is - Utah kicked the ever living cr*p out of Alabama. There was no doubt who the better team was.

Again, stupid question here, why would Nebraska want to play Boise?

1) Ticket sales....they have like a 35 year soldout streak.

2) SOS....They won't be in the title running so what does it help?.(although it's hard to project out)

3) Risk a loss and damage their rebuilding psyche after the Callahan fiasco

4) Exposure....they aren't good and they still get a lot of exposure. HEck, they get exposure on when they will be relevant again.

5) 1 million price tag...pay N. Texas 700,000 in a bad economy

I may be wrong, but give me an example of how it helps Nebraska? Just because it makes sense for Boise does not mean it makes sense for Nebraska. And you know what? I can be wrong and Nebraska may announce that they set it up, but I'm just saying that there are reasons to deny it.

pfffft ..... who cares whats good for Nebraska. Their school prez opened his big mouth about nonAQs not playing a tough enough schedule so Nebraska is fair game for taunting if they won't play Boise even at their house.

Nebraska is ducking BSU

pfffft ..... who cares whats good for Nebraska. Their school prez opened his big mouth about nonAQs not playing a tough enough schedule so Nebraska is fair game for taunting if they won't play Boise even at their house.

Nebraska is ducking BSU

Completely logical.

Nebraska is ducking BSU

Exactly. If you wanna keep Boise out of the BCS it's really quite simple. Schedule them and beat them.

2005, 2009, 2010 & 2011 MWC Football Champions

Also, it can be argued that Oklahoma and Alabama were disinterested in their bowl games.

It can also be argued that Oklahoma and Alabama use that as an excuse for getting their asses kicked in those games. But leave it to a Texas fan to promote the excuse for them.

Each year a Non Aq team beats a power in a bowl like this, it sets the table for one of our teams to step on the big NC stage..

When they do, and if they win, you can count on the BCS conference team that loses it will use the excuse that they just couldn't get up for the game against a non-AQ team, even though it was for the MNC. It's what they do.

It can also be argued that Oklahoma and Alabama use that as an excuse for getting their asses kicked in those games. But leave it to a Texas fan to promote the excuse for them.

Once again, read the whole thread. Sorry If I don't jump on your bandwagon. I'm just using an example. Is it hard to imagine that there are other thought processes out there beside your own? I never said that it was what I thought happened, but we were talking about why Boise and Oklahoma didn't take a PR hit. Is that not a logical explanation that even the media portrayed? If you can't respect opposing views then whats the use. And where did I promote it? Just because it is brought up does not mean I promoted it.