Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboJ

How in the world does TCU

have the following records?

Is this normal for any schools records? Does UT Austin have similar numbers?

clean 475

squat 870

bench 650

incline 560

Now obviously thats over time and thats shared by 2 or 3 guys but I would tend to think that others are close. Do you guys eat a lot of mystery meat at the tcu cafeteria located next to a steroid outlet center? LOL. Those are crazy numbers dude but the truth is Im sure USC/Texas/OU has similar. But damn! 870 squat? 650 bench? 475 clean?

Two words

Dedication

Commitment

:P

Seriously though, after I saw TCUs numbers in our media guide I tried to find other schools weight room records online. I posted in the other thread that the Texas State High School lifting champion had a squat of 810, so I am sure there are other D-1a college who have guys doing 870. I remember going on a tour of OUs stadium when I was in junior high, about 10 years ago and I seem to recall their bench record being over 600 at the time.

You also have to take into account that 99% of high schools and unfortunately some junior high schools in Texas have very serious weight training programs, especially veyr developed off season program compared with some other states. One output of this is that you see guys who can put up huge numbers by their senior year in college, but I am in the boat that many of these schools force kids into these types of programs before they are ready and the end results later in life are sometimes not pretty. I lived in New Mexico my freshman year of high school, and the school I attended in New Mexico definitely did not have the same type of weight and conditioning programs that my school in Fort Worth had.

LR5h5.St.58.jpg

have the following records?

Is this normal for any schools records? Does UT Austin have similar numbers?

clean 475

squat 870

bench 650

incline 560

Now obviously thats over time and thats shared by 2 or 3 guys but I would tend to think that others are close. Do you guys eat a lot of mystery meat at the tcu cafeteria located next to a steroid outlet center? LOL. Those are crazy numbers dude but the truth is Im sure USC/Texas/OU has similar. But damn! 870 squat? 650 bench? 475 clean?

The serious weight lifting at TCU started when Fran came here. There was an article when Fran went to Texas A&M that he was very discouraged when he saw the numbers the players were lifting. I think the Aggies were lifting no where near where the Frogs were lifting!!

So, I don't know about other schools, but I know it's something that the TCU players take seriously with pride!!

Two words

Dedication

Commitment

:P

Seriously though, after I saw TCUs numbers in our media guide I tried to find other schools weight room records online. I posted in the other thread that the Texas State High School lifting champion had a squat of 810, so I am sure there are other D-1a college who have guys doing 870. I remember going on a tour of OUs stadium when I was in junior high, about 10 years ago and I seem to recall their bench record being over 600 at the time.

You also have to take into account that 99% of high schools and unfortunately some junior high schools in Texas have very serious weight training programs, especially veyr developed off season program compared with some other states. One output of this is that you see guys who can put up huge numbers by their senior year in college, but I am in the boat that many of these schools force kids into these types of programs before they are ready and the end results later in life are sometimes not pretty. I lived in New Mexico my freshman year of high school, and the school I attended in New Mexico definitely did not have the same type of weight and conditioning programs that my school in Fort Worth had.

Isn't serious weight training really a bad idea before you're about 16? I heard that it can screw up bone development...

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Isn't serious weight training really a bad idea before you're about 16? I heard that it can screw up bone development...

The conventional wisdom that I have heard agrees that too much weight training, too young, can seriously and permanently injure people.

I don't think Cosmo was bragging on jr. highs that have weight-training programs. Some of us think that heavy weights at a young age ask for trouble. However, with coaches that know what they are doing, I don't understand there to be a threat with high-rep, low-weight resistance training, even for fairly young kids. It's the gonzo weights that cause problems, to my limited knowledge.

The conventional wisdom that I have heard agrees that too much weight training, too young, can seriously and permanently injure people.

I don't think Cosmo was bragging on jr. highs that have weight-training programs. Some of us think that heavy weights at a young age ask for trouble. However, with coaches that know what they are doing, I don't understand there to be a threat with high-rep, low-weight resistance training, even for fairly young kids. It's the gonzo weights that cause problems, to my limited knowledge.

OK, that sounds like what I heard as well. I imagine that low-weight high-rep probably sets the stage for greater muscle growth later on at any rate.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.