Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utenation

The Mtn on DirecTV

Is the Rocky Mtn area a stronghold of the DishNetwork, as I have thought?

Not necessarily, but DIsh Network is headquartered in Colorado and sponsors quite a bit of stuff out there. I believe overhead shots of the Pepsi Arena in Denver show a Dish Network logo on the roof.

For someone on the east coast what does Direct TV cost? and what would it be for THE MTN? Any one care to take a stab?

See my earlier post. I'll likely have to pay for the sports pack ($12) to get the mtn., but that includes all the regional sports networks, ESPNU and CSTV and a couple other networks. I pay the following

$72.99 - Plus HD DVR service (200+ channels, HD, DVR, all available XM channels except the Spanish ones)

$5.99 - Protection Plan (allows for replacement of receivers at DirecTV's expense)

$4.99 - HD Extra Pack (five channel package of channels that have only an HD feed: MGM HD, HDNet Movies, Universal HD, Smithsonian HD, Music HD)

FREE - DirecTV OnDemand - Hook up your DVR to your high speed internet and you can download shows from the service to watch "on-demand"

I tack on

$12 - Sports Pack - fall & winter only

$169 - MLB Extra Innings

$49 - MLB Superfan (HD games)

$99 - ESPN GamePlan

Not necessarily, but DIsh Network is headquartered in Colorado and sponsors quite a bit of stuff out there. I believe overhead shots of the Pepsi Arena in Denver show a Dish Network logo on the roof.

Dish Network is based in Littleton, CO. I drive by it all the time. They used to be called "Primestar" I think. They have several hundred thousand subscribers in the Rocky mountain region I've been told.

Mattsarz this is probably common knowledge to you but, I was always under the impression that the "Dish" companies don't really view themselves as competitors. They view the cable companies and competitors. Which makes me think that DirecTV did NOT sign some sort of exclusivity deal with the MTN. I noticed that has been brought up on occasion. Just my 2 cents.

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

He won't be able to get SLC locals in Boston. DirecTV delivers the locals via spotbeam technology, so it beams the locals for a markets over a specific range of land. That's why you can get Fresno locals in your area because the spotbeams are not confined directly to the Fresno DMA and they can bleed into other markets. In Boston, if he were to "move" to get a different set of locals, the only ones he probably could get instead of Boston would be Providence, RI and he can probably get those with a good set of rabbit ears due to the proximity of Boston to Providence.

Thanks for the clarification. I am not sure the cutoff for my area, but I suspect I am 15-30 miles from the cutoff for Fresno stations, at least as far as the cable companies are concerned.

110926run_defense710.jpg

I was always under the impression that the "Dish" companies don't really view themselves as competitors. They view the cable companies and competitors. Which makes me think that DirecTV did NOT sign some sort of exclusivity deal with the MTN. I noticed that has been brought up on occasion. Just my 2 cents.

In some areas they do compete against each other, but they market themselves a little differently. Dish Network tends to market itself as a lower cost alternative to cable and that has worked fairly well for them. DirecTV generally markets itself as a entertainment provider who has more sports, HD, etc. than cable can provide.

DirecTV, with the increases in HD, has been digging against both cable and Dish Network. Something close to 95 national HD channels.

Echostar is the company that Dish Network came from. Primestar was a competitor to both Dish Network and DirecTV/USSB when mini-satellite systems came into place. Primestar used a 1 meter dish and a different type of signal. It eventually was bought out by DirecTV. Primestar dishes are still in use by a lot of folks who have free-to-air systems. Free-to-air is where a lot of unecrypted news feeds, backhauls of sporting events, public interest channels and some national channels can be picked up. You can find affiliates of the Big 4 netwoks, I think the Wyoming based affiliates, using a FTA system.

In some areas they do compete against each other, but they market themselves a little differently. Dish Network tends to market itself as a lower cost alternative to cable and that has worked fairly well for them. DirecTV generally markets itself as a entertainment provider who has more sports, HD, etc. than cable can provide.

DirecTV, with the increases in HD, has been digging against both cable and Dish Network. Something close to 95 national HD channels.

Echostar is the company that Dish Network came from. Primestar was a competitor to both Dish Network and DirecTV/USSB when mini-satellite systems came into place. Primestar used a 1 meter dish and a different type of signal. It eventually was bought out by DirecTV. Primestar dishes are still in use by a lot of folks who have free-to-air systems. Free-to-air is where a lot of unecrypted news feeds, backhauls of sporting events, public interest channels and some national channels can be picked up. You can find affiliates of the Big 4 netwoks, I think the Wyoming based affiliates, using a FTA system.

Interesting info. Thanks!

Good point, Echostar (not Primestar) is the company in Littleton, CO. For some reason I could not remember that name earlier.

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg