Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Galena vs Gorman

I'm about ready to join the Gorman needs to be removed from the NIAA (Nevada Interscholastic Athletic Association) camp.........have to think everyone in Reno/Sparks would be in the camp already.

Gorman was fine from my era (late 70's up to 2010) but since Findlay Prep opened, Gorman has been on steroids in BB & FB 

Then factor in the growth & the 20 or so new high schools built in the last 15 years & the public schools are thinned out while Gorman has taken it to the next level.

I guess I don't follow that line of thinking.  I look at it as an opportunity to play the best.  You just got to tell these kids if you want to be the best you have to play the best.  And, what an opportunity in playing the best when you can play Gorman.  If the local kids are afraid to play Gorman then they just don't love the game and they should quit.  Get busy practicing or get busy quitting is what I would tell them.

I guess I don't follow that line of thinking.  I look at it as an opportunity to play the best.  You just got to tell these kids if you want to be the best you have to play the best.  And, what an opportunity in playing the best when you can play Gorman.  If the local kids are afraid to play Gorman then they just don't love the game and they should quit.  Get busy practicing or get busy quitting is what I would tell them.

Should Findlay Prep be part of the NIAA?

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

Should Findlay Prep be part of the NIAA?

Don't they play against local teams now except they aren't permitted in playoffs?  Are they even affiliated with a high school program now?  They use to be a part of Henderson International or whatever it was called.  Yes, if they are part of a true high school then yes.  I don't think they are in a real high school though and if that is true then no.

I've been in that camp for a while. Gorman belongs in the CIF Southern Section with programs like Mater Dei and such. With that said, word is that after next year, Gorman is out. I don't mind recruiting as much as others, but Gorman has taken it too far.

Granted, if Gorman left, people would whine about Canyon Springs dominating HS bball. They're IMO #2 best program in the city and best in North Las Vegas. 

i absolutely do not think gorman should be kicked out. before gorman, palo football was accused of 'recruiting' up until 4 or 5 years ago. people were whining in nevada preps about how they 'cheat'. if a coach takes the time to develop a 'program', like freddie banks is doing at canyon, or like lewis has done for moapa football, (no recruiting going on out here in this small 600 student school, i guarantee it, lol) then their teams will be competitive. look at centennial girls' basketball, their 'program' dominates because of karen...gorman doesn't have to recruit, they have kids lined up there 6 deep for their sports programs. what parent wouldn't want that school for their kids. public schools can develop great programs, palo is just jealous cause they are no longer #1...quit whining and get it done. but for bball, even though they will have some great players next year, they will not have those twin towers down low, and probably won't dominate quite like they have the last 4 years.

and no, findlay prep is an entirely different structure.

i absolutely do not think gorman should be kicked out. before gorman, palo football was accused of 'recruiting' up until 4 or 5 years ago. people were whining in nevada preps about how they 'cheat'. if a coach takes the time to develop a 'program', like freddie banks is doing at canyon, or like lewis has done for moapa football, (no recruiting going on out here in this small 600 student school, i guarantee it, lol) then their teams will be competitive. look at centennial girls' basketball, their 'program' dominates because of karen...gorman doesn't have to recruit, they have kids lined up there 6 deep for their sports programs. what parent wouldn't want that school for their kids. public schools can develop great programs, palo is just jealous cause they are no longer #1...quit whining and get it done. but for bball, even though they will have some great players next year, they will not have those twin towers down low, and probably won't dominate quite like they have the last 4 years.

That's the spirit I'm talking about.  

How much fun is it when the same team wins state every year in both sports?

Both Canyon Springs and Foothill (as well as Palo, which has a decent run program) over the past 10 years have developed program that right way (and to a lesser extent, Palo and Centennial boys belong in that group), and neither has surpassed Gorman. Yes, Canyon is competitive with Gorman, but they can't beat Gorman.  Developing players can only take you so far, as how much I hate to say it.

Girl's basketball is a little bit different since post players are scarce, and it isn't quite competitive as the men.  It's easier to build a program the right way there.

Normally I am cool with the private school superpower thing ala St. Bonny, Oaks Christian, Mater Dei in CIF.  The problem is that Gorman is basically the only show in town and the public HS talent just isn't good enough to at least compete yet.  Those CIF private schools all play in public school leagues and it is still competitive.  So it works.  I don't see it working here for quite awhile.  I doubt the CIF would ever let them join, but I don't know why they just don't play a national schedule like Findlay instead of dicking around in the public HS leagues that offer no competition.

Don't they play against local teams now except they aren't permitted in playoffs?  Are they even affiliated with a high school program now?  They use to be a part of Henderson International or whatever it was called.  Yes, if they are part of a true high school then yes.  I don't think they are in a real high school though and if that is true then no.

They aren't allowed because they don't sponsor enough sports.

Both Canyon Springs and Foothill (as well as Palo, which has a decent run program) over the past 10 years have developed program that right way (and to a lesser extent, Palo and Centennial boys belong in that group), and neither has surpassed Gorman. Yes, Canyon is competitive with Gorman, but they can't beat Gorman.  Developing players can only take you so far, as how much I hate to say it.

Girl's basketball is a little bit different since post players are scarce, and it isn't quite competitive as the men.  It's easier to build a program the right way there.

so  kick them out because they're good? and it's only been the last few years, what about all those decades where gorman wasn't dominating? why can karen weitz get it done at centennial? they compete against gorman. i just don't think gorman should get kicked out because they are winning now.

edit: and how do you know canyon WON'T  be able to beat gorman, maybe even next year when gorman doesn't have zimm and jeter...

Normally I am cool with the private school superpower thing ala St. Bonny, Oaks Christian, Mater Dei in CIF.  The problem is that Gorman is basically the only show in town and the public HS talent just isn't good enough to at least compete yet.  Those CIF private schools all play in public school leagues and it is still competitive.  So it works.  I don't see it working here for quite awhile.  I doubt the CIF would ever let them join, but I don't know why they just don't play a national schedule like Findlay instead of dicking around in the public HS leagues that offer no competition.

This.

There's like 5 programs in NV that are competitive in basketball with Gorman, and most of the time, Gorman still wins.

Las Vegas doesn't have enough private schools for the CIF thing to work here. Though Faith Lutheran is on the rise.

BTW, how did Valley become so dominant in the 80s in basketball?

Did they recruit or just build the right way?

that is so not true, girls' basketball is as competitive as boys, it is just on a different level, whether post players are available or not. so karen dominates because 'she has post players available every year at centennial' that aren't available at gorman? the same gorman that should be kicked out? i'm sorry, i'm not buying it. and now with the open enrollment in a lot of schools, that kind of wipes out many of the 'advantages' gorman supposedly has. but these 'programs' have been years in the making, they don't happen overnight. just get in and get it done. summerlin should be able to start developing their feeder schools, (which is where it starts, btw)...there is no reason they can't do it and be competitive...they have just decided to whine about it.

ok, next time i'll tell you how i really feel, lol.

so  kick them out because they're good? and it's only been the last few years, what about all those decades where gorman wasn't dominating? why can karen weitz get it done at centennial? they compete against gorman. i just don't think gorman should get kicked out because they are winning now.

edit: and how do you know canyon WON'T  be able to beat gorman, maybe even next year when gorman doesn't have zimm and jeter...

I understand where you're coming from regarding Gorman. I just think it's no fun when a team wins six straight FB titles and 4 straight basketball titles, that's all.

As for next year, Canyon won't have Jordan Davis. And Gorman still has Chuck O'Bannon (one of the top SG prospects of 2017) and Rice's son. I'm not saying it's not possible by any means, but I'd give a slight edge to Gorman. 

I understand where you're coming from regarding Gorman. I just think it's no fun when a team wins six straight FB titles and 4 straight basketball titles, that's all.

As for next year, Canyon won't have Jordan Davis. And Gorman still has Chuck O'Bannon (one of the top SG prospects of 2017) and Rice's son. I'm not saying it's not possible by any means, but I'd give a slight edge to Gorman. 

and so would i...zach collins will take over down low, and obannon and payton (i love what i saw of that kid in the game against findlay!) willl be coming into their own. but those twin towers have given gorman a huge advantage over everybody else for the last 4 years, and i don't think they will dominate quite like they have lately. it will be interesting to see what happens.

that is so not true, girls' basketball is as competitive as boys, it is just on a different level, whether post players are available or not. so karen dominates because 'she has post players available every year at centennial' that aren't available at gorman? the same gorman that should be kicked out? i'm sorry, i'm not buying it. and now with the open enrollment in a lot of schools, that kind of wipes out many of the 'advantages' gorman supposedly has. but these 'programs' have been years in the making, they don't happen overnight. just get in and get it done. summerlin should be able to start developing their feeder schools, (which is where it starts, btw)...there is no reason they can't do it and be competitive...they have just decided to whine about it.

ok, next time i'll tell you how i really feel, lol.

FYI, only the dumpy small schools like Western and Clark have open enrollment. Most CCSD schools along the good parts of the Valley (Summerlin, Hendo) are full

Summerlin has some pretty good feeder schools. Escbedo, Molaksy (where Troy Brown went), Lied, and Rochig (sp off) are good at the MS level in both genders. 

As I've said, public schools need better coaches who can run programs, and that'll make HS basketball in Vegas more competitive among public schools. In HS LV basketball, you are good or you're not. Everyone in D1 aside from Valley, Vegas, Palo, Canyon, Centennial, and maybe Coronado/Foothill and maybe Durango sucks. Even though they're good, I don't think Clark and DP are very well run at the 1A level. 

and so would i...zach collins will take over down low, and obannon and payton (i love what i saw of that kid in the game against findlay!) willl be coming into their own. but those twin towers have given gorman a huge advantage over everybody else for the last 4 years, and i don't think they will dominate quite like they have lately. it will be interesting to see what happens.

Also, don't forget about Centennial. They still have Troy Brown, but they lose Taylor and such. Troy has attracted good players to his school, and I find it hard to believe Troy will go w/o a state title.

Caynon Springs and Gorman are on equal footing in terms of best JV programs in town, so I expect those two to compete with each other a lot in future seasons, but again, I give Gorman a small edge.

FYI, only the dumpy small schools like Western and Clark have open enrollment. Most CCSD schools along the good parts of the Valley (Summerlin, Hendo) are full

Summerlin has some pretty good feeder schools. Escbedo, Molaksy (where Troy Brown went), Lied, and Rochig (sp off) are good at the MS level in both genders. 

As I've said, public schools need better coaches who can run programs, and that'll make HS basketball in Vegas more competitive among public schools. In HS LV basketball, you are good or you're not. Everyone in D1 aside from Valley, Vegas, Palo, Canyon, Centennial, and maybe Coronado/Foothill and maybe Durango sucks. Even though they're good, I don't think Clark and DP are very well run at the 1A level. 

that's exactly what i'm talking about. and again, an example from my own back yard. moapa football has a great program. moapa basketball does not. same small school, same pool of athletes, same advantages/disadvantages as their football program. why the difference? because the coaching staff has taken the time to develop it, and the middle school athletes have bought in. it can be done all over the las vegas valley, but it doesn't come easy, and takes effort for a payoff down the road. there are football schools right in your neighborhood that have started to do the same thing. word gets out, and over time, there is your 'program'. another case from moapa. there was a point that moapa volleyball won 13 straight state titles, they were featured in sports illustrated with the longest streak. yes, the coach was phenomenal...but he made sure there were programs in place from like 5th grade on up. when he retired, the varsity team won the last 4 or 5 of moapa's titles...but it ended there, because the first coach was no longer encouraging the development of the younger girls. they haven't been the same since.

Also, don't forget about Centennial. They still have Troy Brown, but they lose Taylor and such. Troy has attracted good players to his school, and I find it hard to believe Troy will go w/o a state title.

i was really impressed with troy brown when i saw him play in the game before gorman/findlay. he is every bit as good as i've heard.

that's exactly what i'm talking about. and again, an example from my own back yard. moapa football has a great program. moapa basketball does not. same small school, same pool of athletes, same advantages/disadvantages as their football program. why the difference? because the coaching staff has taken the time to develop it, and the middle school athletes have bought in. it can be done all over the las vegas valley, but it doesn't come easy, and takes effort for a payoff down the road. there are football schools right in your neighborhood that have started to do the same thing. word gets out, and over time, there is your 'program'. another case from moapa. there was a point that moapa volleyball won 13 straight state titles, they were featured in sports illustrated with the longest streak. yes, the coach was phenomenal...but he made sure there were programs in place from like 5th grade on up. when he retired, the varsity team won the last 4 or 5 of moapa's titles...but it ended there, because the first coach was no longer encouraging the development of the younger girls. they haven't been the same since.

i was really impressed with troy brown when i saw him play in the game before gorman/findlay. he is every bit as good as i've heard.

Certain coaches simply don't get it done, maybe due to time or lack of passion for the game? AFAIK it takes a lot of effort to build a program, but if one truly loves the game, they will IMO do it. In basketball, you literally have to first, get a staff of 5 coaches, convince your feeder middle schools to hire your coaches, run a camp, get a few player.parents to coach youth teams, and then pick your freshman and JV coaches and your assistants. It's not an easy thing to do, I know well, since my HS program (in both mbb and fball) was built more or less the above way.

See how much fun HS sports can be when all the teams are competitive and well-coached?

There are other examples of this. Cimaron wrestling, Elko County basketball, and a lot of Paraghant Valley's sport teams. 

Regarind Troy, I think he'll be an NBA star and maybe a #1 NBA overall pick. Amazing he's only a sophomore.

Certain coaches simply don't get it done, maybe due to time or lack of passion for the game? AFAIK it takes a lot of effort to build a program, but if one truly loves the game, they will IMO do it. In basketball, you literally have to first, get a staff of 5 coaches, convince your feeder middle schools to hire your coaches, run a camp, get a few player.parents to coach youth teams, and then pick your freshman and JV coaches and your assistants. It's not an easy thing to do, I know well, since my HS program (in both mbb and fball) was built more or less the above way.

See how much fun HS sports can be when all the teams are competitive and well-coached?

There are other examples of this. Cimaron wrestling, Elko County basketball, and a lot of Paraghant Valley's sport teams. 

Regarind Troy, I think he'll be an NBA star and maybe a #1 NBA overall pick. Amazing he's only a sophomore.

all of this is exactly right, it takes time and commitment. if other schools' coaches don't want to do that, that is not gorman's fault.

i thought troy was older, he certainly plays like it...didn't rice offer him already?

Clark's only open enrollment is the magnet program isn't it? Which I do believe is a big part of the recent success. Clark sucked in bball when I attended. New coach is good though.

8k3esKz.png