Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigd

OT: UNLV med school

I doubt it happens, you'll have some hack in the north who has an axe to grind and will get some of his Carson City cronies to fight it.  Hell you may even get a hack like Bob Beers in the south who tries to kill it. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

The South needs to break away from the rest of Nevada. Until we do the revenue we generate will never be in our control.

Better yet, why doesn't Las Vegas secede from the union and form its own country? Then you guys can be responsible for only yourselves and never have to worry about anybody else ever. Las Vegas is what it is today because of what the people in Northern Nevada did almost 84 years ago. And the taxes that fall into the state's coffers are paid by people who live in other states, not Las Vegas residents, so quit crying about it already. 

Better yet, why doesn't Las Vegas secede from the union and form its own country? Then you guys can be responsible for only yourselves and never have to worry about anybody else ever. Las Vegas is what it is today because of what the people in Northern Nevada did almost 84 years ago. And the taxes that fall into the state's coffers are paid by people who live in other states, not Las Vegas residents, so quit crying about it already.

Las Vegas is what it is today because of northern nevada? That's funny. We did it IN SPITE of northern nevada.

So you're telling me that the people of Las Vegas, all 5,000 of them in 1931, spearheaded the move to legalize gambling while the politicians from Northern Nevada tried to stop it? Cool Story!

So you're telling me that the people of Las Vegas, all 5,000 of them in 1931, spearheaded the move to legalize gambling while the politicians from Northern Nevada tried to stop it? Cool Story!

That isn't what I said at all...

Vegas was going to do it anyway, no nevada saw what was coming and was smart enough to jump on it and push it through. Thank you, you made it happen sooner rather than later. But if northern NV is responsible for what Vegas is today, somebody else needs a history lesson. Not trying to create a problem....

The biggest little men in the biggest little city getting upset. No surprise there.

You're the one crying about it every time it comes up. Grab a hanky.

Back on topic: That 10 million seed money for a UNLV med school is a ridiculous number. Count on it being exponentially higher which is why I've never thought this is well thought out. The overhead on my 4 person Ob practice is nearly 2 million a year before I pay myself a cent. 

Back on topic: That 10 million seed money for a UNLV med school is a ridiculous number. Count on it being exponentially higher which is why I've never thought this is well thought out. The overhead on my 4 person Ob practice is nearly 2 million a year before I pay myself a cent. 

no kidding

10 million is like accepting that "hey, we gave it a try but it was too expensive"

never happen at that price. even 26 million sounds low

no kidding

10 million is like accepting that "hey, we gave it a try but it was too expensive"

never happen at that price. even 26 million sounds low

That's no the whole amount though. This is to prove the State is serious about the project to take to private investors for the remainder.

The biggest little men in the biggest little city getting upset. No surprise there.

This thread started because Vegas thinks it's problems would somehow disappear if rural north didn't dictate priorities. I thought the excuses died with Raggio and Vegas was going to rule the state with an iron fist?