Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reb Baron

Danny Tarkanian's Eulogy: The ‘greatest coach’ and ‘best father’ there ever was

This is a great eulogy and well worth the read.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2015/feb/22/greatest-coach-and-best-father-there-ever-was/

I believe I can provide a unique perspective on Jerry Tarkanian. I was his ball boy, his player, his assistant coach and his attorney, but most importantly I am his son, and I loved him more than I have ever loved anyone. And he was most deserving of that love.

My father came from humble beginnings. His mother, Rose, barely escaped the Armenian Genocide. She watched her father and oldest brother beheaded and the rest of her family and friends herded into a church and burned alive. She migrated to America at a very young age and survived the Great Depression and the early death of her husband.

2me1q87.jpg

loved it, thank you...

and this:

When our team wasn’t playing real hard in practice he would sit us down and tell us, “You all are a bunch of bandits. Next time you pick up your scholarship check wear a mask and gun because you’re robbing the university, that is what you are doing, you’re robbing the university.”

loved it, thank you...

and this:

When our team wasn’t playing real hard in practice he would sit us down and tell us, “You all are a bunch of bandits. Next time you pick up your scholarship check wear a mask and gun because you’re robbing the university, that is what you are doing, you’re robbing the university.”

I guess that was his way of identifying with his inner city players.  Humorous, but very effective.

What an outstanding eulogy by Danny. Some of my favorites from the Shark...

"My father trusted people and he had the unique ability to earn trust in others. Early in his career, Dad met with a player named John Q. Trapp. John had been kicked out of his previous four schools and had even spent nights in jail. He had never trusted a white person before.

Dad told John this was his last chance, that if he screwed it up there wouldn’t be another. But if he listened to what he had to say and worked hard, John would have a bright future.

He finished by telling John, 'By the way, I am taking my wife to dinner. Will you watch my four children?' At the time, the oldest was only 11 years old.

Dad knew what he was doing. John ended up being our regular baby sitter, even driving Pam to her weekly ballet class.

John’s father was quoted in the paper as saying, 'No man had ever been able to handle John before, including myself. I would move to the ends of the earth to have my son play for Coach Tarkanian.'

As Dad had promised, John had a bright future, playing several seasons in the NBA."

"During my first season at UNLV, some of the players were complaining that Dad was favoring Sidney Green and Larry Anderson. Dad decided to put a stop to it. One day, after practice, he sat the team down and told them, 'I heard some of you think I am favoring Sid and Larry. I want you to know, I am. Sid and Larry are carrying this team. If we were on a desert island and I had one canteen of water, I would make sure Sid and Larry had enough to drink. If there was anything left over, I might share it with the rest of you.' I was thinking, even your own son, Dad."