Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndreAztec

SDSU AD Jim Sterk "Its not all done yet...

"and it may impact what we are doing on the Big West side...." Hmmmm.....

This makes AFA look less like the choice. No way the Big West takes them for their other sports IMO. The only school that would fit both criterias is Fresno State. The 'Dogs may not be wanted in most places (For you SDSU fans), but I do think the BW would be one that does want them.

UNLV could be a BW target, but FS would provide better attendance and unlike UNLV wouldn't worry about its bball implications as much.

I think your right. I have a feeling that Fresno and Boise will be the 11th & 12th team of the Big West.

That makes the most sense IMO. The Big West will be vastly improved with Hawaii, Fresno, BSU, SDSU, LBSU, and UCSB all having solid athletic programs.

Also, I really doubt the WAC will survive as an olympics-only conference.

I don't think ECU has a prayer. Tulane is interesting for the roadies to Nola alone.

I'm just joking. No inside CUSA source; though Tulane is building a new stadium. Personally I think they'll take a run at AFA & if they say no again then it'll be some eastern team. That'll satisfy their contractual obligations to BSU & SDSU.

I'd give an outside shot to Colorado State, Fresno State, & UNLV. If either UNLV or CSU had already built their "proposed" new football stadiums then I think they'd be a shoe-in.

2005, 2009, 2010 & 2011 MWC Football Champions

So, your source says Tulane or ECU will be the new "western" member of the Big East?

No. My source says East Carolina to the West division of the Big East and Western Kentucky to the East. North Texas will join the Southern Conference.

This makes AFA look less like the choice. No way the Big West takes them for their other sports IMO. The only school that would fit both criterias is Fresno State. The 'Dogs may not be wanted in most places (For you SDSU fans), but I do think the BW would be one that does want them.

UNLV could be a BW target, but FS would provide better attendance and unlike UNLV wouldn't worry about its bball implications as much.

First thing is first and that is football. While UNLV still has potential (and i have said if they get their +++++ together on the football side a pac 12 offer isn't so far fetched) the BE wouldn't be interested in UNLV right now.

I'm just joking. No inside CUSA source; though Tulane is building a new stadium. Personally I think they'll take a run at AFA & if they say no again then it'll be some eastern team. That'll satisfy their contractual obligations to BSU & SDSU. I'd give an outside shot to Colorado State, Fresno State, & UNLV. If either UNLV or CSU had already built their "proposed" new football stadiums then I think they'd be a shoe-in.

Didn't UNLV's AD come out and say that they'd never consider splitting their athletic teams into 2 conferences or something to that effect? I doubt they'd consider it.

v0icAvfW.jpg

What if the bit about the Big West is SDSU leaving it to join BSU in some Oly Sports league (WAC). Would be ironic if the Big West lost SDSU because of the whole BSU issue. I would LMFAO.

Posted Image

Didn't UNLV's AD come out and say that they'd never consider splitting their athletic teams into 2 conferences or something to that effect? I doubt they'd consider it.

I do recall something of that accord in an interview last year. The AFA and CSU officials also share the same concerns.

Fresno State to the BigWEST/EAST would probably present the smallest amount of obstacles for Fresno as an institution, for the fan base, and each conference.

What if the bit about the Big West is SDSU leaving it to join BSU in some Oly Sports league (WAC). Would be ironic if the Big West lost SDSU because of the whole BSU issue. I would LMFAO.

This ^^^

Why would Sterk say "it may impact what we're doing on the Big West side as well" if, after the Big East adds another western partner, SDSU was still going to the Big West with its Olympic sports?

It wouldn't "impact" what "we're (SDSU's) doing" if San Diego State was implying that another member would be joining the Big West with them. The impact on SDSU in that case would be zero, since they'd still be going to the Big West.

Looks to me like SDSU, Boise State and ???? will be taking their Olympic sports to the WAC.

I'm not really sure. I only listed them because they fit the BE mold of schools in large metropolitan areas & because I thought both SDSU & BSU would be happy to add UNLV basketball to the WAC/BW. I wouldn't blame UNLV for refusing to split their sports.

I do recall something of that accord in an interview last year. The AFA and CSU officials also share the same concerns. Fresno State to the BigWEST/EAST would probably present the smallest amount of obstacles for Fresno as an institution, for the fan base, and each conference.
I'm not really sure. I only listed them because they fit the BE mold of schools in large metropolitan areas & because I thought both SDSU & BSU would be happy to add UNLV basketball to the WAC/BW. I wouldn't blame UNLV for refusing to split their sports.

Ahhhhh, here it is:

“We’re not going to split our programs up, that doesn’t make any sense,” Livengood said Wednesday, hours after Boise State and San Diego State’s departures for the Big East became official. “… To me, that absolutely is selling a number of your programs down the drain.”

Another interesting tidbit relevant to the discussion (re: BSU/SDSU fball to BigEast):

“It is more than crazy. It doesn’t make any sense,” Livengood said. “How you’re going to convince your fans, your recruits and all those groups; it makes no sense to play across the continental United States like that. But that’s their issue. I wish them luck, have fun, go to it.

“That’s not for us.”

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/dec/07/livengood-recent-realignment-its-more-crazy/

v0icAvfW.jpg

This ^^^

Why would Sterk say "it may impact what we're doing on the Big West side as well" if, after the Big East adds another western partner, SDSU was still going to the Big West with its Olympic sports?

It wouldn't "impact" what "we're (SDSU's) doing" if San Diego State was implying that another member would be joining the Big West with them. The impact on SDSU in that case would be zero, since they'd still be going to the Big West.

Looks to me like SDSU, Boise State and ???? will be taking their Olympic sports to the WAC.

I'm among the first to bash the Aztecs, but I don't believe they would be dumb enough to move Oly Sports to the WAC. Talk about watered down if the Alliance takes USU and SJSU and UTSA backs out and goes elsewhere. AFA can't hold that much pull with their Oly teams. Now if you argued they had forced a BE wester division in order to get AFA I may see them going...but not to the WAC.

Any new team added impacts what they are doing in the BW. They will now be a part of that conference, so the term "we're" could be the conference as a whole.

If SDSU backs out on BW now and WAC folds, you think they'll just roll out the welcome mat again?