Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just_chris

Nevada Rancher vs the BLM and Federal Govet

I understand the origin of he BLM. It doesn't change the fact that what is now Nevada was acquired from Mexico with the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.

It also doesn't change the fact that the govt has been managing western lands since right after the revolution.

It's called law enforcement. It costs money. You'd be ok with it if the Feds turned a profit?

It's actually called common sense.  10 guys on horses could've gathered, sorted, and hauled in a ten hour day without helicopters, purchasing new rigs, and panels.

You're okay with the feds spending $3million and getting $250,000?  That's a $2.75million loss just to flex your muscles.

It's actually called common sense. 10 guys on horses could've gathered, sorted, and hauled in a ten hour day without helicopters, purchasing new rigs, and panels.

You're okay with the feds spending $3million and getting $250,000? That's a $2.75million loss just to flex your muscles.

Law enforcement is not for profit. The guy had been flouting the law for 20 years.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Law enforcement is not for profit. The guy had been flouting the law for 20 years.

So you're okay with them purchasing 3$M in new equipment and use helicopters for what a couple pokes could do for <$10k?

You really don't grasp the concept of money, do you?

This thread is hilarious. First there is righteous indignation about this cowboy's rights being trampled by the Feds, a position so ludicrous it united myself and Tool. Now there's righteous indignation about the money spent enforcing the law. I guess we should stop sending out the Coast Guard to enforce drug laws. That doesn't make any money.

This thread is hilarious. First there is righteous indignation about this cowboy's rights being trampled by the Feds, a position so ludicrous it united myself and Tool. Now there's righteous indignation about the money spent enforcing the law. I guess we should stop sending out the Coast Guard to enforce drug laws. That doesn't make any money.

The current public land is not only having his cattle repossessed, but there are also armed guards stopping all access to the land.  Sounds "hilarious".

The feds are within their rights to seize the dudes assets to recoup the lost revenue of grazing fees.  Doing so in a manner that exacerbates the cost to the federal govt is stupid.  Advocating that it's just the cost of enforcing the law is also ridiculous.  Govt agencies should be enforcing the law but also using common sense when doing so.  They will not always be able to recoup their costs but when feasible they should try.  Wrangling cows is not the same as interdicting drugs and is a piss poor analogy.

The current public land is not only having his cattle repossessed, but there are also armed guards stopping all access to the land.  Sounds "hilarious".

Issa should hold hearings!!!

I wonder about you sometimes...

It's not that they do or don't make money enforcing the law, it's that they could do it for substantially cheaper than they've chosen to do it. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

It's actually called common sense.  10 guys on horses could've gathered, sorted, and hauled in a ten hour day without helicopters, purchasing new rigs, and panels.

You're okay with the feds spending $3million and getting $250,000?  That's a $2.75million loss just to flex your muscles.

So you're Ok with the round up but upset about methods and cost. Is that right?

Where did the $3 million number come from? Here's a quote from the Vegas paper which states it could cost about $1 million.

"The roundup could cost the federal government at least $1 million, according to government contracting records reviewed by the Review-Journal."

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/sandoval-chastises-blm-creating-atmosphere-intimidation-cattle-roundup

This Fox News report puts the price at $966,000:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/07/nevada-officials-blast-feds-over-treatment-cattle-rancher-cliven-bundy/

I'm not sure why those here who hate the whole idea of poor people receiving money or services from the government are so quick to defend a yahoo who so wantonly steals from that same government. 

Isn't he just another welfare fraud? 

Wouldn't that amount to a double standard? 

Or is it okay because he's a "business"?

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism