Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sfcal

big 12 expansion

Essentially, the entire Mountain West collapse can be layed at the feet of the currnet TV deal and Thompson. My understanding is this deal was never even seen by the schools prior to being agreed to. The commisioners office sent out a memorandum of understanding to the schools that layed out the contract details and gave the commisioner the power to accept the contract. Unfortunately, the memorandum was faulty and incorrect in a number of issues. These inaccuracies directly led to the departure of BYU. The poor contract in general, has been cited by every school as the reason for leaving. If Rebel Robert wants to keep it, then let UNLV and whatever Sunbelt/WAC schools who are willing to play for nothing form a conference with them.

The CUSA/MW merger allows the MW to essentially operate as it always has--but with a larger contract. Additionally, the assighnment of rights gives the new conference freedom from future raids. That allows the new association a more secure enviroment in which to grow and mature over time into a solid BCS quality league. The only glaring mistake I see them making at this point is putting Thompson in charge. Given that the entire destruction of the conference can laid at his feet, I cant for the life of me see why he would be placed back in charge. Its like giving the Captain of the Exxon Valdez the keys to a shiney new tanker.

Essentially, the entire Mountain West collapse can be layed at the feet of the currnet TV deal and Thompson. My understanding is this deal was never even seen by the schools prior to being agreed to. The commisioners office sent out a memorandum of understanding to the schools that layed out the contract details and gave the commisioner the power to accept the contract. Unfortunately, the memorandum was faulty and incorrect in a number of issues. These inaccuracies directly led to the departure of BYU. The poor contract in general, has been cited by every school as the reason for leaving. If Rebel Robert wants to keep it, then let UNLV and whatever Sunbelt/WAC schools who are willing to play for nothing form a conference with them.

The CUSA/MW merger allows the MW to essentially operate as it always has--but with a larger contract. Additionally, the assighnment of rights gives the new conference freedom from future raids. That allows the new association a more secure enviroment in which to grow and mature over time into a solid BCS quality league. The only glaring mistake I see them making at this point is putting Thompson in charge. Given that the entire destruction of the conference can laid at his feet, I cant for the life of me see why he would be placed back in charge. Its like giving the Captain of the Exxon Valdez the keys to a shiney new tanker.

NAH. UTAH left for PAC money, TCU was leaving for money. etc. Teams left for more TV money and the AQ brand. No matter what TV contract we had it would not matched the top 5 conferences or BYU indy ESPN deal. People can blame the TV contract all they want, and maybe it played a role here, but to say it is the main reason why the conference fell apart is just BS.

NO TV Contract was keeping Utah

No TV contract was keeping TCU

Once UTAH left no TV contract was keeping BYU

Boise has been having wet dreams about AQ stats forever and took teh shot, although a long one, that they keep it or something like it.

Maybe SDSU would have stayed but I have my doubts

MWC Presidents and Athletic Directors need to take a realistic look at the landscape and make smart moves based on strategy instead of reacting out of fear.

We do NOT want to align with CDOA leftovers. Southern Miss, Rice, Tulane, ECU, Marshall, UAB and Tulsa offer us NOTHING!

The smart and only move for the MWC is to back out of this ridiculous merger idea IMMEDIATELY and instead invite UTEP and SJSU to the MWC to create a stable 10 team conference.

MWC-10

UNLV

Nevada

Hawaii

Fresno

SJSU

New Mexico

UTEP

Air Force

Colorado St.

Wyoming

This way you leave the door open for Boise/SDSU to rejoin in a couple of years when they realize what a disasterous mess they got themselves into.

MWC-12 by 2015

West

UNLV

Nevada

SDSU

Fresno

SJSU

Hawaii

Mountain

Air Force

Boise

Colorado St.

Wyoming

New Mexico

UTEP

Use your brain MWC Presidents. Why destroy our conference to join with CDOA Leftovers that add nothing? They are not our RIVALS. TV does NOT want to show them. They do not HELP US at ALL. Nobody is interested in playing them or WATCHING those lousy CDOA teams, not even their own fans!

Please stop acting out of FEAR. Do not kill our Conference to join with LOSERS.

Save the MWC. Live by the TV contract that you SIGNED and AGREED to. Be Professional.

Invite SJSU and UTEP and lets keep the MWC rocking. SDSU and Boise will be back in three years or less. Mark my words!

~ FF

First off, the only fear they are acting on is the loss of revenue our current tv deal will surely become if we just add utep and sjsu.

Secondly, you are wrong that "cdoa" teams suck. Especially considering you probably believe sdsu, umm, and Memphis are the only non-sucky team currently in either conf.

You are blinded by a basketball-only mentallity, sorry to say, RR. Fear itself isn't a bad thing, it depends what you do with it and i believe the MUSA-24 is the best solution....it will still be a top 7 football conference with all the football conferenceces in NCAA division-1 (including fcs). And it will still be a top 10 basketball conf....what's the problem???

You should be happy UNLV will be getting more, not less, revenue from tv than it's currently getting.

And i'm sorry Memphis isn't a part of this but UTEP, Southern Miss, Tulsa, Marshall, UAB....they all have very good basketball programs. They might be down a bit this year, but this MUSA will be very interesting come conference mens basketball tournies.

~ FF

I don't know understand what you mean by the underlined part.

As to Thompson, I think he's going to get out of this mess while the getting's good. Being offered a job by his alma mater will provide him cover against people saying he took a demotion from commissioner of a conference to simply AD.

This thing is such a mess that if it involved the government, a Congressional committee would be formed to investigate how the hell it could have ever happened.

And speaking of that, props to Robert for calling a spade a spade but the president of his school has been the MWC's head honcho during this debacle and UNLV, UNR and Fresno are going to be hit hardest by the fallout since nobody else will sustain an equivalent increase in travel expenses.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Regarding the first link, Wow! I like it!

Regarding the second one, Tulane is THE big winner in this thing - although with UAB and Rice. If CUSA had fallen apart, all three could have ended up in the SBC. Instead, they're not only going to remain in CUSA, they're going to drag a bunch of much better schools into CUSA with them. Beaucoux props to Scott Cowan!

Boom goes the dynamite.

Essentially, the entire Mountain West collapse can be layed at the feet of the currnet TV deal and Thompson.

BS! Or should I say BCS!

I'm no CT apologist, but to suggest all of this conference realignment crap is due to CT and the MTN contract, is silly. Just my opinion.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

I don't know understand what you mean by the underlined part.

As to Thompson, I think he's going to get out of this mess while the getting's good. Being offered a job by his alma mater will provide him cover against people saying he took a demotion from commissioner of a conference to simply AD.

This thing is such a mess that if it involved the government, a Congressional committee would be formed to investigate how the hell it could have ever happened.

And speaking of that, props to Robert for calling a spade a spade but the president of his school has been the MWC's head honcho during this debacle and UNLV, UNR and Fresno are going to be hit hardest by the fallout since nobody else will sustain an equivalent increase in travel expenses.

T.V. rights will be signed over. Universities can leave, they just can't take their television rights with them unless they purchase them back.

T.V. rights will be signed over. Universities can leave, they just can't take their television rights with them unless they purchase them back.

yep. going to tough to get out of this conference unless the big boys call.. The way I understand it if a team were to go to the BE they new conference would still own their TV rights and not the BE.

I wonder how much the buy back would be? that would be an interesting contract. Seems they are really trying to insulte the new league from any further losses to the BE.

Regarding the first link, Wow! I like it!

Regarding the second one, Tulane is THE big winner in this thing - although with UAB and Rice. If CUSA had fallen apart, all three could have ended up in the SBC. Instead, they're not only going to remain in CUSA, they're going to drag a bunch of much better schools into CUSA with them. Beaucoux props to Scott Cowan!

pretty ironic isn't it. You Can bet Karl Benson wished the sunbelt could've nabbed them, UAB joining Troy and South Alabama, Tulane joining ULL and ULM, giving him the New Orleans market (he's thought about moving Sunbelt hq from Nawlins to somewhere there's a member school..Mobile, Jacksonville?) and Rice would get him a Texas pair in Houston..the guy does have a thing for Texas, he was willing to invite anybody up from fcs just to join the WAC, and they love football in Texas lol

you do have to wonder though, if conferences all blew up across mid major land, and politics forced most of them to remain with their instate counterparts, what it would mean to a MWC or CUSA or WAC or Sunbelt. California State University Chancellor was for years hoping that San Jose State, Fresno State, and San Diego State would all be in the same conference, but isn't it something the Aztecs are always one step ahead of the NorCal pair? in Louisiana with 4 schools not named LSU who play FBS football, what if Tulane and La Tech were in the Sunbelt? and in Alabama, with Troy UAB and now South Alabama, I didn't even know there was a South Alabama...maybe it would be better if more conferences were regionalized with all their in state schools, but I like the Alliance because it does that with its divisions :) especially on the west coast, in the front range, and in the central midwest

The playoff is here and I can hardly believe this day has come. Now when will the playoff expand to 8 teams? 2016 please come true.

West

Hawaii (all sports)

San Diego St (after the Big East goes belly up)

Fresno St

San Jose St

Nevada

UNLV

Boise St (see SDSU)

Mountain

Utah St

Wyoming

Air Force

Colorado St

New Mexico

UTEP

Tulsa

Prior to Boise and San Diego coming back you could have Utah St in the west. Playing an 8 game conference schedule gives teams flexibility in the out of conference games. This also limits the trips to Hawaii.

West

Hawaii (all sports)

Fresno St

San Jose St

Nevada

UNLV

Boise St (see SDSU)

Mountain

Utah St

Wyoming

Air Force

Colorado St

New Mexico

UTEP

Tulsa

Prior to Boise and San Diego coming back you could have Utah St in the west. Playing an 8 game conference schedule gives teams flexibility in the out of conference games. This also limits the trips to Hawaii.

Create a TV policy similar to that of the Big 12 and substitute BYU for Tulsa and you have basically what I think the future holds. In fact, I think about the only think which would prevent it is a few of the named schools getting added to the Big 12 first.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Create a TV policy similar to that of the Big 12 and substitute BYU for Tulsa and you have basically what I think the future holds. In fact, I think about the only think which would prevent it is a few of the named schools getting added to the Big 12 first.

I would love that but why would Byu go from 99% of games on national tv to 30% of games.

Besides last season with Jimmer BYU is getting bigger home crowds and a bigger following because of BYUtv. BYU will not join without BYUtv and least 85% of its games on national tv. The WCC because of BYUtv has been better than MWC was for BYU. BYU will not tell 80% of its fanbase to go take a hike.

http://desne.ws/zNy567

The Masters 5k road race All American.

West

Hawaii (all sports)

Fresno St

San Jose St

Nevada

UNLV

Boise St (see SDSU)

Mountain

Utah St

Wyoming

Air Force

Colorado St

New Mexico

UTEP

Tulsa

I'd rather just have these as 2 seperate conferences

I would love that but why would Byu go from 99% of games on national tv to 30% of games.

Besides last season with Jimmer BYU is getting bigger home crowds and a bigger following because of BYUtv. BYU will not join without BYUtv and least 85% of its games on national tv. The WCC because of BYUtv has been better than MWC was for BYU. BYU will not tell 80% of its fanbase to go take a hike.

Big 12 has a TV policy that's as Tier 3-friendly as BYU is going to find out there. If the number of national TV appearances in anywhere near 75 percent, BYU should jump at the Big 12. Take the same deal Texas has with the Longhorn Network. Don't hassle for more money or more privileges than anyone else currently has in the conference.

Would love to see BYU in the Big 12.

I don't see why BYUtv is a bad thing, it's not like anyone other than LDS or a few fans of the opposing team would tune in............so they play on a station that few would tune in otherwise.

I don't see why BYUtv is a bad thing, it's not like anyone other than LDS or a few fans of the opposing team would tune in............so they play on a station that few would tune in otherwise.

I agree it is a great thing for the BYU fans. Fan excitement for Basketball is at a all time high. I have really enjoyed this year. I like seeing UNLV the one time I could get them.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

I agree it is a great thing for the BYU fans. Fan excitement for Basketball is at a all time high. I have really enjoyed this year. I like seeing UNLV the one time I could get them.

I doubt one MWC fan can say that they have seen a BYU game on TV this season.

BYU Basketball is non-existant. It can't be found anywhere. BYU is gone from television sets.

I didn't see BYU on TV yet this season and likely won't until the NCAA or NIT Tournament. Who even knows what their RPI is?

BYU is irrelevant now.