Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gabe H. Cuod

In a 1 Bid MBB League, Should Conf Tourney Leave LV?

With Nevada, Boise and UNLV having decent years, I think this is the question that will be asked.

It's the pink elephant in the room. This isn't the old MW. The Conference tourney will likely decide the sole MW team to go to the dance. The conference slate just doesn't offer the RPI strength to make a solid resume.

So, in the current 1-Bid MWC, shouldn't there be a neutral city for the conference tournament in MBB? Wouldn't UNLV have an unfair path to the tournament?

How does the CUSA do their tournament? Their league has a similar distribution of good teams to bad teams.

ysOR4zJ.gif

It will be a money loser for the conference if they move it. I do get the unfair advantage though. Not that we've ever been able to take advantage of it, but this year could very well be different.

If it does move, I would hope it goes to somewhere in Southern Cal, preferably LA area. I wouldn't mind Northern Cal either. Denver would be tolerable I suppose, but not a trip I would make very often, and I doubt too many fans outside the area would.

It would be an interesting move as all other western conferences have moved to Vegas. There is some synergy in that as we are more likely to get national pub and national TV if we stay there since the media is already here to cover the PAC, BW and WCC.

But we can lose money and publicity in the name of competitive equality. All about priorities I guess.

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

It will be a money loser for the conference if they move it. I do get the unfair advantage though. Not that we've ever been able to take advantage of it, but this year could very well be different.

If it does move, I would hope it goes to somewhere in Southern Cal, preferably LA area. I wouldn't mind Northern Cal either. Denver would be tolerable I suppose, but not a trip I would make very often, and I doubt too many fans outside the area would.

It would be an interesting move as all other western conferences have moved to Vegas. There is some synergy in that as we are more likely to get national pub and national TV if we stay there since the media is already here to cover the PAC, BW and WCC.

But we can lose money and publicity in the name of competitive equality. All about priorities I guess.

The reason it's a success in Vegas is because it's somewhat warm there and there's other stuff to do once your team loses.  Nobody wants to be in Denver, SLC, Boise, or ABQ in the middle of the winter.  You could do it in Calif somewhere, but Vegas really makes the most sense, despite UNLVs edge there.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

9 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

PAC-12 is at the T-Mobile Arena

WCC is at the Orleans Arena

WAC is at the Orleans Arena

MWC is at the Thomas and Mack

It would be nice if the MW could have the tourney still in Vegas but at one of the other arenas so it wasn't UNLV's home court. The city does make the most sense for traveling. Is T-Mobile>T&M>Orleans as far as arenas go???

To answer the OP's question - the C-USA has there tournament in Dallas/Ft.Worth area - about 20 miles from North Texas University but far away form the rest of the conference teams.

Some conferences just play the games at conference tournament on campus sites (so the high seeds would all get home court advantage).  I'm not a big fan of that, but it would probably be the best way to do it if you want less drama and to have the highest seeds advance. 

Here's a list of conference tournaments and where they're played.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

Hi guys.  How are things going in here?  This sounds like a great thread to discuss, it has never been discussed here before.

It's different now... ...we suck more.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

It's different now... ...we suck more.

Basketball is the one sport where you can actually turn it around fast with the right staff or a good recruit or two.

I don't think this league will ever get back to 5 bids like it had a few years ago, but 2 or 3 is doable.  It seems like the committee favors the P5 leagues though, much like in football, so maybe this is the new normal.  I think Nevada and UNLV have a really good chance of going this year, and Boise and SDSU have an outside chance.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

Has UNLV been dominating the MWC tournament in Las Vegas recently?  If so, the question makes sense.

Right now I think UNLV would be favored to win it this year.

5 hours ago, Gabe H. Cuod said:

With Nevada, Boise and UNLV having decent years, I think this is the question that will be asked.

It's the pink elephant in the room. This isn't the old MW. The Conference tourney will likely decide the sole MW team to go to the dance. The conference slate just doesn't offer the RPI strength to make a solid resume.

So, in the current 1-Bid MWC, shouldn't there be a neutral city for the conference tournament in MBB? Wouldn't UNLV have an unfair path to the tournament?

How does the CUSA do their tournament? Their league has a similar distribution of good teams to bad teams.

This shows up earlier every year :)

The World Needs More Cowboys!