Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Las Vegas Bowl - Oregon vs Boise State

No offense to UNLV fans but I have never understood why Vegas has never invested even a dime into this facility. With all the money flowing into that town, not even a bucket of slot machine quarters...The new Raiders stadium will be first class for obvious reasons, but this has been a wasted investment opportunity... Hell, at least turn on the sprinklers for a week for the tailgating area...

4 minutes ago, utenation said:

No offense to UNLV fans but I have never understood why Vegas has never invested even a dime into this facility. With all the money flowing into that town, not even a bucket of slot machine quarters...The new Raiders stadium will be first class for obvious reasons, but this has been a wasted investment opportunity... Hell, at least turn on the sprinklers for a week for the tailgating area...

When UNLV entered the WAC16 in 1996 there was a decent remodel job to Sam Boyd Stadium.........the concourse was widened, and new concessions were added .......and the old plywood trailer looking press box was replaced with the tower

Image result for Sam Boyd Stadium old photos

The metal grandstands were the WAC era expansion along with new exterior landscaping and the press tower which had the club level seating along with some luxury boxes - the low roof at the round areas were new toilets and concessions around the concourse 

Related image

12 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

When UNLV entered the WAC16 in 1996 there was a decent remodel job to Sam Boyd Stadium.........the concourse was widened, and new concessions were added .......and the old plywood trailer looking press box was replaced with the tower

Image result for Sam Boyd Stadium old photos

I've been to The Boyd a few times over the years.. It's functional and not horrible it just doesn't scream Vegas to me... Just saying, someone could have made this a first class venue..  Just surprised nobody had that light bulb go off... I just think one of the best destinations in the USA could have made the Vegas Bowl a big deal...

Just now, utenation said:

I've been to The Boyd a few times over the years.. It's functional and not horrible it just doesn't scream Vegas to me... Just saying, someone could have made this a first class venue..  Just surprised nobody had that light bulb go off... I just think of the best destinations in the USA could have made the Vegas Bowl a big deal...

Think the main issue was that the bulk of the seating was hard to fix up........it's a low angle for sight lines so not much was ever done to improve seating areas. The last thing done was taking out the bottom 3 or 4 rows to expand the playing surface. Used to be a walkway all around the stadium about 4 rows up from the bottom, they got rid of the walkway and the first rows. The old concourse was half of what it is today width wise 

originally the stadium was just two (east & west) sides with a red & white checkerboard berm around the south end - then when UNLV went D-1 in '78, they closed in the south end zone so it became the U shape...........then in 1996 they added the metal seating to each side north ends of the U and built the press tower...............other than the removal of the few rows, not much has been added inside since the 1996/97 construction. They did add some amenities to the outside areas right around the stadium 

27 minutes ago, utenation said:

That's a stupid idea.

NAME YEARS CAPACITY
Las Vegas Stadium 1971-77 15,000
Silver Bowl 1978-83 32,000
Sam Boyd Silver Bowl 1984-93 32,000
Sam Boyd Stadium 1994-present 36,800

a couple of original old photos can be seen in this PDF at the bottom when it was just the two sides http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/unlv/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/boyd-stadium-info.pdf

30 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

It has the feel of the Oregon St/Hawaii Bowl a few years back where we were boat raced.. Hope I’m wrong. 

Well, it's kinda different. Boise was the one that lost the coach in the Hawaii Bowl. I do get the feeling that hiring the coach that the players wanted will be very motivating to Oregon. They are gunna wanna show everyone they got the right guy. Boise owning Oregon for the last decade is another motivating factor. Bowls are so often who wants to be there more. It's gunna be a tough game to win, for sure. I felt better going into the first Fiesta Bowl than I do in this one. But then again, I was absolutely certain Boise would lose at Autzen, so...

4 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Well, it's kinda different. Boise was the one that lost the coach in the Hawaii Bowl. I do get the feeling that hiring the coach that the players wanted will be very motivating to Oregon. They are gunna wanna show everyone they got the right guy. Boise owning Oregon for the last decade is another motivating factor. Bowls are so often who wants to be there more. It's gunna be a tough game to win, for sure. I felt better going into the first Fiesta Bowl than I do in this one. But then again, I was absolutely certain Boise would lose at Autzen, so...

Very true. Autzen with the youngest team in America at the time. 

Rypien seems to have his confidence back and with the MWC title in the back pocket there isn’t much pressure. 

7 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Very true. Autzen with the youngest team in America at the time. 

Rypien seems to have his confidence back and with the MWC title in the back pocket there isn’t much pressure. 

I never really felt that Rypien lost his confidence as much as he has never done well with pressure, the OL was autrocious early on, he had no time and it made him inaccurate. Which he's always been when he doesn't have time. He was getting bum rushed every snap. He's a rhythym QB. Cozart was the better QB early because he could get out of trouble and his mobility made the rush less aggressive because they had to protect against him taking off. Once the OL got healthy and experience Rypien was clearly the better QB.

Like I said in the thread a few weeks ago, I like the Donks in this one. Oregon isn’t that good even with their starting QB. Boise loves these types of games and will be ready to go.  They have had a very good stretch after the UVA loss and Fresno is a quality team.

I think it will be a close game and hope the Ducks pull it out.

6 minutes ago, utenation said:

Like I said in the thread a few weeks ago, I like the Donks in this one. Oregon isn’t that good even with their starting QB. Boise loves these types of games and will be ready to go.  They have had a very good stretch after the UVA loss and Fresno is a quality team.

I think it will be a close game and hope the Ducks pull it out.

As a Boise State fan, wish I had your confidence in the Broncos.  I think something like 45-32 Oregon, with the Ducks last TD being somewhat meaningless to the outcome (other than icing the game).

A little like the Boise State vs. Colorado State game, but without the finish...Boise State staying within reach for most of the game, but not being able to pull out the big play to get over the hump.

10 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

As a Boise State fan, wish I had your confidence in the Broncos.  I think something like 45-32 Oregon, with the Ducks last TD being somewhat meaningless to the outcome (other than icing the game).

A little like the Boise State vs. Colorado State game, but without the finish...Boise State staying within reach for most of the game, but not being able to pull out the big play to get over the hump.

I have a hard time believing that Boise scores 32 against them. They didn't get that against any team that had a decent defense this year and Oregon has a decent defense. If they win it'll need to be with defense and possibly ST play. If the game is in the 20s Boise has as a shot.