Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Will the Democrats regain the house and Senate

3 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

I haven't heard republicans ever crowing like you guys.

You beat a +++++ing pedafile and you think that means you are going to sweep elections forever.  Jones wouldn't have beat a pig named moore in Alabama as long as the pig hadn't raped any children and was pro-life.

I guess you are lumping me in with every Dem?

I still think it is doubtful Dems flip the house. I'm just saying that some pretty uncommon shit has happened in politics in that last couple years, so I wouldn't discount anything from happening.

And Republicans crow plenty. Both parties are two sides of the same coin. Both are party over policy and over country.

We have a bullying racist who has bragged about assaulting women in the White House.

The Alabama election was VERY close with a pedophile with a history of racism, homophobia, islamophobia, misogynism and a disdain for the rule of law lose by just a hair.

I see nothing in the results to give me much hope there will be any significant change on any side. We still have a broken system, widening social and economic gaps with wealthy people driving to keep tribalism in the forefront while they extract every last cent they can.

One of the Final Five..........

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

How soon we forget in 2008 you  all claimed republicans were never going to win an election again.   You all brought up the demographics and how out of touch the republicans were.  Now  democrats manage to beat an old pedophile and you think all of a sudden you are going to defend 25 seats in the senate and pick up 2 more.

You are all delusional.

I wasn't here in 2008.  The Republicans will win many future elections. I don't think they will lose the Senate, although who knows how much havoc Nacho Duce can wreak in the next year. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I wasn't here in 2008.  The Republicans will win many future elections. I don't think they will lose the Senate, although who knows how much havoc Nacho Duce can wreak in the next year. 

I think you will be lucky not to lose seats when you are defending 25 and can only attack 8.

2 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I guess you are lumping me in with every Dem?

I still think it is doubtful Dems flip the house. I'm just saying that some pretty uncommon shit has happened in politics in that last couple years, so I wouldn't discount anything from happening.

And Republicans crow plenty. Both parties are two sides of the same coin. Both are party over policy and over country.

I see no difference you were crowing just like the rest.

No republican has ever said dems are never going to win again. 

No republican has ever said "elections have consequences", while ignoring the other party and Passing the worst piece of legislation since Social Security.

49 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

No republican has ever said "elections have consequences", while ignoring the other party and Passing the worst piece of legislation since Social Security.

The day after the 2004 election, dubyah said "I have political capital, and I intend to use it." Not so different IMO. At least the ACA passed with 60 Senate votes, not through the Budget Resolution process. 

22 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The day after the 2004 election, dubyah said "I have political capital, and I intend to use it." Not so different IMO. At least the ACA passed with 60 Senate votes, not through the Budget Resolution process. 

Saying you have the support of the people is way different than saying the other party is irrelevant.

Then Bush worked with democrats for their vote and passed his legislation with a bipartisan vote.

The ACA went through the budget resolution process when its house and senate bill were reconciled.   They used the reconciliation process to pass a budget bill that amended the Senate version of the ACA.  So while technically you are right, substantly you are liar liar pants on fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act

House Democrats had expected to be able to negotiate changes in a House–Senate conference before passing a final bill. Since any bill that emerged from conference that differed from the Senate bill would have to pass the Senate over another Republican filibuster, most House Democrats agreed to pass the Senate bill on condition that it be amended by a subsequent bill.[189] They drafted the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act, which could be passed by the reconciliation process.[190][193][194]

Per the Congressional Budget Act of 1974, reconciliation cannot be subject to a filibuster. But reconciliation is limited to budget changes, which is why the procedure was not used to pass ACA in the first place; the bill had inherently non-budgetary regulations.[195][196] Although the already-passed Senate bill could not have been passed by reconciliation, most of House Democrats' demands were budgetary: "these changes—higher subsidy levels, different kinds of taxes to pay for them, nixing the Nebraska Medicaid deal—mainly involve taxes and spending. In other words, they're exactly the kinds of policies that are well-suited for reconciliation."[193]

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

I think you will be lucky not to lose seats when you are defending 25 and can only attack 8.

I see no difference you were crowing just like the rest.

No republican has ever said dems are never going to win again. 

Where was I crowing?

10 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Wrong!

Obamacare passed through the budget resolution process. Remember the Republicans won Kennedy's Massachusets Senate seat to  end the Democrats filibuster proof majority back then. They had to pass Obamacare through the budget resolution process. 

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

Wrong!

Obamacare passed through the budget resolution process. Remember the Republicans won Kennedy's Massachusets Senate seat to  end the Democrats filibuster proof majority back then. They had to pass Obamacare through the budget resolution process. 

See above. Blues already corrected. I was recalling initial passage, not the vote on the reconciled version. 

On 12/13/2017 at 12:57 PM, Joe from WY said:

I disagree. The Dems are more likely to turn purple areas in blue states blue and the GOP is likely to do the same sort of thing with regards to purple areas in red states. The polarization continues. The shift is still sorting itself out. The rampant divide between the two that has been exacerbated since Trump was elected will continue. 

If you're a dem you shouldn't be too excited about this, because it took a child molester as GOP candidate to win. 

The DNC replaced their chairman, which was badly needed.  He's a shrewd operator who knows how to use strategy really well.  That's actually what elections are mostly about.  He used it in Virginia/New Jersey and now Alabama.  He has energized the party and taking advantage of this polarization that's not going away as long as Trump stays in office.    

On 12/12/2017 at 2:12 PM, SharkTanked said:

I think it depends. If the trend is towards more Roy Moore and staunch Trumpers as candidates in the GOP, that could really hurt them. OTOH, if more moderate Repubs come out, they will keep it easily.

That said, I think the Repubs are in trouble in the Senate, but keep the House easy.

Would be interesting to see if some 3rd party emerges in these races. Both major parties are shit shows right now.

It really cracks me up how Shumer is trying to portray the Moore loss as evidence of a national referendum against Trump and the GOP.  "A Democrat winning in AL? Do you need anymore evidence that there's a Trump backlash?". No Chuckie, when you put a monster POS perv on the ballet in AL and the people there have to listen to him talk every freaking day on the local news, you might just see that it's a better idea to flush the bastard than have to keep hearing about this dumbass. Any other decent GOP candidate with a little time to get his campaign going would've won in a landslide. 

False Hope #3,423 that Dems are pushing as a signal that it's the end of Trump. 

kat.jpg

Dems are so disorganized and lack any real cohesion. They lack a message.

Trump is very unpopular outside of his base. Congress is very unpopular across the board. This fiasco of a tax shift and pay out to the rich is hugely unpopular, as are most of the actions trump and his minions are taking.

In the face of all that, nothing is going to change in the mid term elections. Because the bulk of the voters deciding who the candidates are will be the wing nuts on the fringes of bot sides.Tribalism is so high that party line voting is set in stone. And the folks in the middle will feel they have no good choices. Because they are not involved in selecting the candidates, whether by design or a failure to become involved.

Nothing is really going to change until the folks in the middle become involved in selecting the candidates rather than sitting around to the election and whining about the lack of options. The only way to move this system back towards something functional is to take back control. That means registering for the dominant party in your state so we stop getting stuck with extremists like Moore. Hold your nose, register as 'the other side' and vote for electable candidates that rep the middle.

One of the Final Five..........

On 12/13/2017 at 6:06 PM, bluerules009 said:

I haven't heard republicans ever crowing like you guys.

You beat a +++++ing pedafile and you think that means you are going to sweep elections forever.  Jones wouldn't have beat a pig named moore in Alabama as long as the pig hadn't raped any children and was pro-life.

Perhaps you didn't listen to the Donald after the big victory in the electoral college.   Biggly inauguration.   Most people ever.  

Posted Image

I think the DNC is finally energized.  Thank god they got rid of that controversial do nothing Donna Brazile and put in Tom Perez.  He was very instrumental by what happened in Virginia, New Jersey and helping Doug Jones which was a nearly impossible task.  He's big on the grassroots movement and is a great election strategist.  

Never forget, Trump's favorable poll is in the low 30s despite the economy doing well.  That shows the American people are not fooled by his bullying bullshit.  They realize he's only catering to his base and not the country.   Also the shenanigans that the Republicans are pulling is also pissing people off.  I'm confident the Dems will take the House in 2018.  The GOP has the money, but they're carrying too much baggage ever since Trump was inaugurated.