Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Brian Bowen - UNLV a possible landing spot

Brian Bowen, who could be reinstated to play next season after being at the epicenter of the Louisville earthquake:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/brian-bowen-louisville-eligibility-fbi-probe-rick-pitino-investigation/

Jeffery Waddilove, who was ahead of everyone else on McCoy, Juiston, and Hardy coming to UNLV, is now talking on 247Sports about UNLV being a possible landing spot for Bowen.  (no link - it's a pay site)

UNLV was in Bowen's "final 6", along with Michigan, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, and Oregon.  But then he ended up not going to any of his "final 6", committing to Louisville suddenly.

There is a ton of irony in this possibility.  Rick Pitino twice caused chaos for UNLV.  In the early 2000s he was very close to accepting the UNLV job, then flipped to Louisville (and Kruger was ultimately hired).  In January 2016 when Dave Rice was fired mid-season the timing was widely suspected to be tied to the anticipated availability of Pitino, and there was supposedly a lot going on behind the scenes.

Not saying the kid had anything to do personally with the shenanigans in his recruitment, but I think it would serve UNLV well to avoid him at this point.

We don't need the "guilt by association" problems likely to stem from acquiring a player who was at the center of the biggest recruiting scandal in decades.

5 minutes ago, RedheadRebel said:

Not saying the kid had anything to do personally with the shenanigans in his recruitment, but I think it would serve UNLV well to avoid him at this point.

We don't need the "guilt by association" problems likely to stem from acquiring a player who was at the center of the biggest recruiting scandal in decades.

i mentioned in the recruiting thread, that whatever school he goes to will be super clean, because of the scrutiny that he might cause. so i kind of feel good about it, lol.

37 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i mentioned in the recruiting thread, that whatever school he goes to will be super clean, because of the scrutiny that he might cause. so i kind of feel good about it, lol.

That's a fair point. Whoever takes him would know the giant microscope they're putting themselves under, and would likely have to feel pretty confident about it. In Menzies we trust.

2 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Brian Bowen, who could be reinstated to play next season after being at the epicenter of the Louisville earthquake:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/brian-bowen-louisville-eligibility-fbi-probe-rick-pitino-investigation/

Jeffery Waddilove, who was ahead of everyone else on McCoy, Juiston, and Hardy coming to UNLV, is now talking on 247Sports about UNLV being a possible landing spot for Bowen.  (no link - it's a pay site)

UNLV was in Bowen's "final 6", along with Michigan, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, and Oregon.  But then he ended up not going to any of his "final 6", committing to Louisville suddenly.

There is a ton of irony in this possibility.  Rick Pitino twice caused chaos for UNLV.  In the early 2000s he was very close to accepting the UNLV job, then flipped to Louisville (and Kruger was ultimately hired).  In January 2016 when Dave Rice was fired mid-season the timing was widely suspected to be tied to the anticipated availability of Pitino, and there was supposedly a lot going on behind the scenes.

Make sure he lands at McCarran down the street, first, then drives over. UNLV doesn't need anymore disasters on campus. There's already........... I won't even say it because saying hurtful things isn't in the spirit of the holiday season. 

kat.jpg

If he’s clean, this is a chance we need to take.  We are losing Johnson and Mooring, and we need firepower on the perimeter.  Also, if he does well, it will further solidly Menzies as somebody who is successful with McDonald’s All-Americans.

This is why I keep talking about us transcending conference and being able to compete with schools like Duke and Kentucky.  We are able to get players like this.  Now, we just need to be able to coach them up.  Regarding us losing to fellow MW teams, I would bet that neither Duke nor Kentucky would go undefeated in our conference.

Don't know the kid but if he's a one and done guy, not worth the headache IMO. If he's a guy that will hang around and help grow the program, then maybe he's worth it.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Don't know the kid but if he's a one and done guy, not worth the headache IMO. If he's a guy that will hang around and help grow the program, then maybe he's worth it.

You need one and done guys to compete with Duke and Kentucky.  Menzies is extremely smart about how he’s doing it.  He’s treating one and done guys like fifth year transfers/bridge players. Brandon McCoy this year is a perfect example.  Dembele and Diong aren’t ready to play big minutes, and McCoy is an impact guy who can play center and give them another year to develop.  Bowen would also fit that mold.  We are losing Johnson and Mooring.  Hamilton and Woodbury will not be as good as those two, and we’ll need someone who can replicate their production.  Menzies is not like Rice where he got one and done guys without a purpose.

3 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

That's where I'm at too. Not sure this kid is worth the risk.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

You need one and done guys to compete with Duke and Kentucky.  Menzies is extremely smart about how he’s doing it.  He’s treating one and done guys like fifth year transfers/bridge players. Brandon McCoy this year is a perfect example.  Dembele and Diong aren’t ready to play big minutes, and McCoy is an impact guy who can play center and give them another year to develop.  Bowen would also fit that mold.  We are losing Johnson and Mooring.  Hamilton and Woodbury will not be as good as those two, and we’ll need someone who can replicate their production.  Menzies is not like Rice where he got one and done guys without a purpose.

Seriously? I suggest you worry about being able to compete against your actual peers in the MWC before you start worrying about Duke and Kentucky.

8 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

Seriously? I suggest you worry about being able to compete against your actual peers in the MWC before you start worrying about Duke and Kentucky.

UNLV transcends conference.  I truly don’t believe that our peers are the MW.  It’s no different than Gonzaga and the WCC.

Regarding the MW, we will win the conference with Menzies as head coach.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

UNLV transcends conference.  I truly don’t believe that our peers are the MW.  It’s no different than Gonzaga and the WCC.

Baby steps. Like KingBronco said, let's try to win the conference tournament for the first time since 2008 before looking beyond the conference. 

Nonsense by geniuses is still nonsense.

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Transcends right into the bottom half of the conference last year. Maybe Kentucky and Duke don’t go unscathed playing in the MWC but there sure as hell would never be a glimmer of doubt in regards to who’d be first at the end of the year. Worry about catching up to big brother in the north before you start having visions of sugar plums dancing in your head. 

tetons1.jpg

On 12/12/2017 at 7:41 PM, ph90702 said:

UNLV has won one regular season conference championship (and it was 17 years ago). It's tough to transcend a conference that you can't win.