Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Mountain West Basketball Week 6: December 11th - 17th

2 hours ago, cardrater said:

The fact that your comparing Nevada's against a SWAC talent team is laughable. Nevada may struggle with that schedule but they would do way better then 2-3 wins.

But I also don't think Wyoming is that good either which is why they have been blown out against good competition and kept it close/lose to bad competition.

I know Nevada would be very fortunate to be 3-8 against that schedule--I could easily see them being 1-10 or 0-11 as well and I think a bunch of people would agree with me. Methinks you underestimate the difficulty of playing every game on the road, especially when nearly all of them are against top-100 or better RPI teams. Radford, a team you struggled to put away at home tonight had a worse RPI prior to the game than any team on Texas Southern's sched so far. The SWAC definitely isn't a good basketball conference but that has nothing to do with a SWAC team playing a brutal OOC schedule that any team in America would struggle with.

9 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

I know Nevada would be very fortunate to be 3-8 against that schedule--I could easily see them being 1-10 or 0-11 as well and I think a bunch of people would agree with me. Methinks you underestimate the difficulty of playing every game on the road, especially when nearly all of them are against top-100 or better RPI teams. Radford, a team you struggled to put away at home tonight had a worse RPI prior to the game than any team on Texas Southern's sched so far. The SWAC definitely isn't a good basketball conference but that has nothing to do with a SWAC team playing a brutal OOC schedule that any team in America would struggle with.

Some teams with a worse RPI than Texas Southern currently - Ole Miss, Illinois, Utah State, New Mexico, Iowa, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Depaul, etc.    There are 162 with worse RPIs than TS.  

I was at the game last night and I loved the game.  High intensity, athleticism and skill.  I don't care what anyone says.  They are a good team and very entertaining to watch.  Mike Davis is putting a great program together.  He works the officials and the crowd better than any MWC  coach.  I would love to see him in the MWC.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

25 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Some teams with a worse RPI than Texas Southern currently - Ole Miss, Illinois, Utah State, New Mexico, Iowa, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Depaul, etc.    There are 162 with worse RPIs than TS.  

I was at the game last night and I loved the game.  High intensity, athleticism and skill.  I don't care what anyone says.  They are a good team and very entertaining to watch.  Mike Davis is putting a great program together.  He works the officials and the crowd better than any MWC  coach.  I would love to see him in the MWC.

Ehh Texas Southern's RPI doesn't say anything about how good or bad they are. They've lost every game, so it is just a reflection of their SOS. Their RPI would be the same if they had lost every game by 1 or by 30 and any team with Texas Southern's schedule would have an RPI of at least 161.  At this point in the season, how they have played in their games and/or metrics that include margin of victory are better indicators of how good they are.

11 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Ehh Texas Southern's RPI doesn't say anything about how good or bad they are. They've lost every game, so it is just a reflection of their SOS. Their RPI would be the same if they had lost every game by 1 or by 30 and any team with Texas Southern's schedule would have an RPI of at least 161.  At this point in the season, how they have played in their games and/or metrics that include margin of victory are better indicators of how good they are.

Actually RPI is starting to mean something at this point in the season.  Texas Southern's opponents records are pretty good and that is exactly why TS's RPI is as high as it is.

22 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Actually RPI is starting to mean something at this point in the season.  Texas Southern's opponents records are pretty good and that is exactly why TS's RPI is as high as it is.

But they haven't won a game, so their RPI is just a reflection of a strong SOS. Any team with the exact same schedule, no matter how good or how bad, would have at least the same RPI. I'm not saying Texas Southern isn't a respectable team, just that their RPI doesn't say anything about their quality.

12 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

But they haven't won a game, so their RPI is just a reflection of a strong SOS. Any team with the exact same schedule, no matter how good or how bad, would have at least the same RPI. I'm not saying Texas Southern isn't a respectable team, just that their RPI doesn't say anything about their quality.

I agree.  You can look at RPI along with how they've done vs. their opponents.  They've been competitive in most everyone of their games.  I've seen them in person.  They are a good squad with a good coach.  And all on the road.

You just can't look at their W-L.

9 hours ago, cardrater said:

Ether way you spin it, it would have been an absolutely embarrassing loss. They are a terrible team and hanging it close with PAC teams doesn't really hold much weight anymore considering how bad that conference is this year.

I didn’t spin anything. I just simply stated Texas Southern was better than your typical 0-10 team based off of their schedule. Everyone else started making claims or inferences that I stated I wouldn’t have been embarrassed had we lost. Read words. 

tetons1.jpg

2 hours ago, SLCPoke said:

I didn’t spin anything. I just simply stated Texas Southern was better than your typical 0-10 team based off of their schedule. Everyone else started making claims or inferences that I stated I wouldn’t have been embarrassed had we lost. Read words. 

I did read words. You stated Texas Southern is a talented team that will rip through the Mighty SWAC. Haha . And it wouldn't be as embarrassing losing to an 0-11 team because they have played a hard schedule. The fact is they are a SWAC talent level team and will most likely pick up a few losses to thier fellow awful brethren... If not then they will go to the tourney and get ripped by a good team....It would have been a terrible loss.

6 hours ago, cardrater said:

I did read words. You stated Texas Southern is a talented team that will rip through the Mighty SWAC. Haha . And it wouldn't be as embarrassing losing to an 0-11 team because they have played a hard schedule. The fact is they are a SWAC talent level team and will most likely pick up a few losses to thier fellow awful brethren... If not then they will go to the tourney and get ripped by a good team....It would have been a terrible loss.

You read words that weren’t really there. I said I’d be more embarrassed about losing to Denver (not that I didnt think it would be embarrassing to lose). Nor did I ever say that the SWAC was mighty. I also stated they were more talented than their record indicated as well as being athletic. Nothing I said was untrue, you’re just choosing to try and justifiy your initial response that clearlry let everyone know your lack of reading comprehension. 

tetons1.jpg

1 hour ago, SLCPoke said:

You read words that weren’t really there. I said I’d be more embarrassed about losing to Denver (not that I didnt think it would be embarrassing to lose). Nor did I ever say that the SWAC was mighty. I also stated they were more talented than their record indicated as well as being athletic. Nothing I said was untrue, you’re just choosing to try and justifiy your initial response that clearlry let everyone know your lack of reading comprehension. 

Right I lack reading comprehension when you say a SWAC team is talented. ?????? I can justify my initial response because I'm right and your pulling left and right trying to justify Tex. S. Is a good team based of the schedule they played and because Wyoming barely got by. Again however you spin it but I would love to hear your excuse once they lose to the likes of Alcorn St. Or Alabama A&M. "But they are talented and they took an ok Wyoming team to the brink so they must be good!"

2 hours ago, cardrater said:

Right I lack reading comprehension when you say a SWAC team is talented. ?????? I can justify my initial response because I'm right and your pulling left and right trying to justify Tex. S. Is a good team based of the schedule they played and because Wyoming barely got by. Again however you spin it but I would love to hear your excuse once they lose to the likes of Alcorn St. Or Alabama A&M. "But they are talented and they took an ok Wyoming team to the brink so they must be good!"

This is becoming entertaining. Please. Tell me more. 

tetons1.jpg