Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Mountain West Basketball Week 6: December 11th - 17th

40 minutes ago, RedheadRebel said:

I just saw the Atlantic 10 has a losing record as well. Might bode well if we're in a bid war with the other mid-major conferences come March.

They’re having a bad year. Their conference is projected to only have 2 or 3 Q1 win opportunities: at St. Bonaventure, at Rhode Island, and if they can hit the 30 RPI they’re projected to be straddling vs Rhode Island as well. We are looking at having at least 5, with a chance for 6 or 7 if a second team can finish top 30 and/or a 5th team slips into the top 75 by selection Sunday.

The problem is we have some awful grenades at the bottom. Having the 6 solid nonconference performers slaughter the bottom is the key. If we can do that the good teams delivering chair shot after chair shot to each might prove to be a benefit. It might even help if Utah State or Colorado State clearly set themself a level above the rest, possibly sneaking into the top 135 and delivering another Q2 opportunity to fill out a resume. 

That is one heck of a minefield, and it depends entirely upon cleaning up the games rest of the nonconference games we should win. Wins against Oregon, SMU, or Jobu willing even Gonzaga would be nice, but the first step is handling the Pacifics and Radfords and Grand Canyons like we should.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

48 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The SWAC is 6-80 so far. 6 wins.

Six.

Poor Texas Southern. Those dudes are in the SWAC and currently 0-9...but they've played every damn game so far on the road and their schedule has been absolutely brutal.  They've damn near beat Wazzu and Clemson earlier this year and I watched them almost upset Oregon earlier tonight. Wyoming better not take them lightly because they're actually a pretty solid team with a bunch of good athletes and a decent looking 7-2 guy.

Also, if Oregon plays like they did tonight Fresno will destroy them at home. 

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They’re having a bad year. Their conference is projected to only have 2 or 3 Q1 win opportunities: at St. Bonaventure, at Rhode Island, and if they can hit the 30 RPI they’re projected to be straddling vs Rhode Island as well. We are looking at having at least 5, with a chance for 6 or 7 if a second team can finish top 30 and/or a 5th team slips into the top 75 by selection Sunday.

The problem is we have some awful grenades at the bottom. Having the 6 solid nonconference performers slaughter the bottom is the key. If we can do that the good teams delivering chair shot after chair shot to each might prove to be a benefit. It might even help if Utah State or Colorado State clearly set themself a level above the rest, possibly sneaking into the top 135 and delivering another Q2 opportunity to fill out a resume. 

That is one heck of a minefield, and it depends entirely upon cleaning up the games rest of the nonconference games we should win. Wins against Oregon, SMU, or Jobu willing even Gonzaga would be nice, but the first step is handling the Pacifics and Radfords and Grand Canyons like we should.

Agreed!

RPI update, we’re still 9th.

Q1 Home

15. Nevada

Q1 Away Q2 Home

43. Boise State

50. Wyoming -10 vs Eastern Washington

66. Fresno State

Q2. Away Q3 Home

79. San Diego State

100. UNLV

Q3 Away

142. Colorado State

Q4 Home

199. Utah State

218. New Mexico

Q4 Away

313. Air Force

342. San Jose State

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Wyoming needs to be a bit worried about Eastern Washington, as well. 

They are 3-7 currently. I mean Wyoming (or anyone) can't afford to overlook anyone but I am not particularly worried about EWU.

33 minutes ago, tspoke said:

They are 3-7 currently. I mean Wyoming (or anyone) can't afford to overlook anyone but I am not particularly worried about EWU.

Don’t let their record fool you, they are  better than they seem. Wyo should beat them, but they are scrappy and will not go away easily. 

5 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Don’t let their record fool you, they are  better than they seem. Wyo should beat them, but they are scrappy and will not go away easily. 

Yup that team can ball. Held their own against UNLV for 30 mins.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

20 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Poor Texas Southern. Those dudes are in the SWAC and currently 0-9...but they've played every damn game so far on the road and their schedule has been absolutely brutal.  They've damn near beat Wazzu and Clemson earlier this year and I watched them almost upset Oregon earlier tonight. Wyoming better not take them lightly because they're actually a pretty solid team with a bunch of good athletes and a decent looking 7-2 guy.

Also, if Oregon plays like they did tonight Fresno will destroy them at home. 

They are about to start 0-13 but have a good shot at winning 20+ games this year. 

They'll sweep through that conference.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

12 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

:lol:

but i do know a little about basketball, lol.

Wow....an amazing 18.3 seconds to the end the game and send it into OT. Eastern Washington is a tough little gem but Wyo pulls away in OT (barely). If we play like that against Texas Southern I promise we will lose. I watched the Texas Southern and Oregon game and they are extremely athletic and Mike Davis has been around the block. 

tetons1.jpg

Just got back from that game.  We had no business winning that game and it put me in kinda a pessimistic mood for conference.  Edwards has some puzzling substitution patterns.

38 minutes ago, gold-n-brown said:

Just got back from that game.  We had no business winning that game and it put me in kinda a pessimistic mood for conference.  Edwards has some puzzling substitution patterns.

Or maybe even some playing time patterns......why is Gorski ever in the game? He isn't a good shooter this season, and he doesn't play D. Sit him. 

tetons1.jpg

On 12/11/2017 at 11:31 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Don't expect any help from Sideshow Larry and his band of misfits this season.