Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Contracts: CAL's Wyking Jones vs. Nevada's Muss

Everyone knows that Muss was in the process of getting hired by CAL this last offseason, and decided to withdraw because CAL's hiring process was a disaster and because Nevada was making him a nice offer to return. But I never heard what CAL was offering Muss. It was probably the same offer that they gave to new CAL coach Wyking Jones which is a 5 year $1 mil per year base with add on bonuses. 

Now it sure looks like our AD, Knuth, may have been told what the offer to Muss was because Muss now has the same $1 mil base, but a little better bonus structure than what was given to Jones. Jones doesn't have a ticket sales bonus that Muss has, and that's where Muss picks up most of his yearly bonus $.  Wyking does have more small performance bonuses that almost make up for Muss's ticket bonus. 

Muss is capped at $1.3 mil, but Jones has no cap. So that's a plus for Jones if he ever has has a great team. But the bottom line is that Muss will likely make close to 1.3 mil or the entire thing while Jones will only make a few bucks over 1 mil since his team isn't going to be winning a lot any time soon. Anyway, it's very interesting that Muss will likely make $200k more than Jones through next year. Big props to Knuth and to anyone else that contributed to making it happen. 

CAL and Stanford are very close to some of Muss's family, so they are by far the biggest threat to lure him away. 

kat.jpg

4 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Everyone knows that Muss was in the process of getting hired by CAL this last offseason, and decided to withdraw because CAL's hiring process was a disaster and because Nevada was making him a nice offer to return. But I never heard what CAL was offering Muss. It was probably the same offer that they gave to new CAL coach Wyking Jones which is a 5 year $1 mil per year base with add on bonuses. 

Now it sure looks like our AD, Knuth, may have been told what the offer to Muss was because Muss now has the same $1 mil base, but a little better bonus structure than what was given to Jones. Jones doesn't have a ticket sales bonus that Muss has, and that's where Muss picks up most of his yearly bonus $.  Wyking does have more small performance bonuses that almost make up for Muss's ticket bonus. 

Muss is capped at $1.3 mil, but Jones has no cap. So that's a plus for Jones if he ever has has a great team. But the bottom line is that Muss will make likely make close to 1.3 mil or the entire thing while Jones will only make a few bucks over 1 mil since his team isn't going to be winning a lot any time soon. Anyway, it's very interesting that Muss will likely make $200k more than Jones through next year. Big props to Knuth and to anyone else that contributed to making it happen. 

CAL and Stanford are very close to some of Muss's family, so they are by far the biggest threat to lure him away. 

It is nice to not have that State income tax in Nevada.  Another plus.

32 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

It is nice to not have that State income tax in Nevada.  Another plus.

It's probably a lot easier and quicker to get to work in Reno, and you can buy a really nice big house for $750k in Reno that would cost more than twice that in the Bay Area.....not to mention property taxes. And then you're closer to skiing, mountain biking, hiking and other out door stuff. 

kat.jpg

11 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

It's probably a lot easier and quicker to get to work in Reno, and you can buy a really nice big house for $750k in Reno that would cost more than twice that in the Bay Area.....not to mention property taxes. And then you're closer to skiing, mountain biking, hiking and other out door stuff. 

750k in nice parts of Reno are going to get you 4/5 beds over 3000 sqft you’re not finding that in Bay Area for 1.5 million. 

While Im sure Muss is happy about the money last week is why Muss would leave Nevada going 0-2 and people saying that’s it have to win tourney again to make the dance, while Nevada sits with an RPI of 12 and Kenpom of 36. No coach wants that 

4 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

750k in nice parts of Reno are going to get you 4/5 beds over 3000 sqft you’re not finding that in Bay Area for 1.5 million. 

While Im sure Muss is happy about the money last week is why Muss would leave Nevada going 0-2 and people saying that’s it have to win tourney again to make the dance, while Nevada sits with an RPI of 12 and Kenpom of 36. No coach wants that 

People always say that, but it's not true. Not even close. If we had another loss to SDSU or Boise, we're still in easily. The PAC is awful in BB this year anyway. 

Part of what gets you in is program reputation. It doesn't matter where he coaches, he has to realize that sticking around and not jumping to job after job, is really important. And it's a problem even if players and recruits are just thinking he won't be around much longer. Stability and performance. 

kat.jpg

Just now, Nevada Convert said:

People always say that, but it's not true. Not even close. If we had another loss to SDSU or Boise, we're still in easily. The PAC is awful in BB this year anyway. 

I didn’t say Nevada was finished with an at large but a lot of fans have and that can’t be easy on a coach.

12 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

I didn’t say Nevada was finished with an at large but a lot of fans have and that can’t be easy on a coach.

As far as real estate in the Bay Area, it just depends on the area. There are lots of old houses that have been renovated. I was thinking about taking a job in San Ramon a couple of years ago, so I remember looking at housing prices. That memory is what I was going on.

Here's a house in Berkeley built in 1995 that has 4 bedrooms and 3600 sq ft for a hair over 1 mil. 

https://www.realestate.com/6923-bristol-dr-berkeley-ca-94705--24820750

kat.jpg

#16 ASU upsets #2 Kansas by 10, to go to 9-0 and coach Bobby Hurley is looking like a stud hire. He's was previously coaching at Buffalo for 550k per year. His deal is better than Jones and Muss, but it's only a 1.2 mil base w/typical bonuses. Comparing new coaches starting off in the PAC, Muss has a very competitive contract @ Nevada. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

#16 ASU upsets #2 Kansas by 10, to go to 9-0 and coach Bobby Hurley is looking like a stud hire. He's was previously coaching at Buffalo for 550k per year. His deal is better than Jones and Muss, but it's only a 1.2 mil base w/typical bonuses. Comparing new coaches starting off in the PAC, Muss has a very competitive contract @ Nevada. 

Again it won’t be money the reason he leaves it’ll be for stiffer competition and conference but does show Nevada is trying to be competitive. Also 1 last point it’s not always head coach salary to look at, need to look at assistant pool and other perks. Muss can’t keep assistants, some of that is he didn’t mesh some money reasons.

36 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Again it won’t be money the reason he leaves it’ll be for stiffer competition and conference but does show Nevada is trying to be competitive. Also 1 last point it’s not always head coach salary to look at, need to look at assistant pool and other perks. Muss can’t keep assistants, some of that is he didn’t mesh some money reasons.

True, but money always matters. It's a lot easier to put up with certain things if you're getting paid well and thus feel respected in that way. I'll put on my shrink hat  and say that Muss strikes me as a guy that's not really obsessed with the material aspect of money, but very much interprets it as a gesture of respect. I really do. Especially from a school that can barely afford it, and hasn't gone that high before. It's not a secret that it's not easy to work for him, and if the assistants were paid more, it would certainly make it a little easier to put up with him. 

It's hard to know exactly what he's thinking, but the things you're talking about can be overcome if he sticks around a while. If the Gonzaga's, St. Mary's, Wichita St's can do it, so can Nevada. Going to bigger P5 programs also has its downsides with all the pressure and politics.

It's nice that basketball isn't a sport like football where there's a more limited pool of elite players and that gives the big money schools such an advantage. When a no-name school like Florida Gulf Coast can come along out of nowhere in the NCAA's and go on a serious run, it gives the little guys hope and proof it can be done. 

kat.jpg

21 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Muss is capped at $1.3 mil, but Jones has no cap. So that's a plus for Jones if he ever has has a great team. But the bottom line is that Muss will likely make close to 1.3 mil or the entire thing while Jones will only make a few bucks over 1 mil since his team isn't going to be winning a lot any time soon. Anyway, it's very interesting that Muss will likely make $200k more than Jones through next year. Big props to Knuth and to anyone else that contributed to making it happen. 

Well done.

ysOR4zJ.gif

21 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

If Stanford is really interested, he'll go if offered.  OTOH, has he ever dealt with academics in his recruiting?  

I agree with Jared that money isn't a large driving factor with Muss. He wants to compete for national championships, if he feels he can do that at Nevada I think we can keep him. If not, he'll likely move on elsewhere. It would be huge if we could land Jordan Brown, as it would show that we can truly attract top talent here. We also really need the MW to become a multi-bid league or it will get old having to win the tournament to get in.

Also as far as assistants I'm really hoping that this group will stick around for awhile. Jones seems to be really good friends with Muss, and his son is a Freshman on the basketball team. Ruta also seems like he'll be around, as this is his 3rd year here and 1st as assistant coach. 

56 minutes ago, bigd said:

I agree with Jared that money isn't a large driving factor with Muss. He wants to compete for national championships, if he feels he can do that at Nevada I think we can keep him. If not, he'll likely move on elsewhere. It would be huge if we could land Jordan Brown, as it would show that we can truly attract top talent here. We also really need the MW to become a multi-bid league or it will get old having to win the tournament to get in.

Also as far as assistants I'm really hoping that this group will stick around for awhile. Jones seems to be really good friends with Muss, and his son is a Freshman on the basketball team. Ruta also seems like he'll be around, as this is his 3rd year here and 1st as assistant coach. 

That cannot be underestimated. There's a few exceptions, but for the most part every G5 program is starting the race from behind.