Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Baer is fired as DC at UNLV

WTF?!!!!  "No" to Kenny Sanchez...

Angelfan! @sportsguy06 3m3 minutes ago

Replying to @markanderson65

Are you hearing any names? 

•  

Kenny Sanchez is a possibility.  

•  

As D coordinator or for safety’s?

This now puts UNLV in need of 3 positions since in January there will be a 10th assistant (due to the rule change for FBS schools).  Maybe Kenny is being mentioned for that position, or at most the safeties coach (replacing LaRussa). 

11 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Did RebelRobert call it or what?

You didn't exactly have to be Nostrodamus to see that one coming.  You just had to watch UNLV's "defense" on 3rd down and 8 a few times.

The only uncertainty was how much more time that loyalty (from Sanchez) would get him.  You have to wonder how much this change was pressured from DRF (our athletic director).

Also, the implication to me is that Cotton is staying as OC... otherwise why not drop the axe on both at the same time?

4 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

You didn't exactly have to be Nostrodamus to see that one coming.  You just had to watch UNLV's "defense" on 3rd down and 8 a few times.

The only uncertainty was how much more time that loyalty (from Sanchez) would get him.  You have to wonder how much this change was pressured from DRF (our athletic director).

Also, the implication to me is that Cotton is staying as OC... otherwise why not drop the axe on both at the same time?

Baer going is better than Cotton going - The UNLV offense did move the ball..........the defense was miserable at getting most needed stops 

5 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Rebel Robert argued to fire the entire staff including Sanchez.  I wasn't big on that idea because I see the main problem is on our defensive side.  Our offense will get  better.  Rogers getting his first year in will only get better in the coming years.

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Baer going is better than Cotton going - The UNLV offense did move the ball..........the defense was miserable at getting most needed stops 

To me it makes sense to get rid of Baer this year, but not Cotton.  Get the defense going in the right direction and then if want to get rid of Cotton next year, make that move.  I don't think scrapping both sides of the ball would be a good move for Sanchez when he really needs a bowl game and a winning record next season.  I think getting rid of Cotton next year would be smart though.  

8 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

The offense did move the ball.  But it was frustrating because with the talent we had we should have been able to keep that going for complete games.  Instead several opponents seemed to reach the point where they continually anticipated what we were going to do next.  A real lack of play-calling creativity.  Rodgers could keep a defense off balance for a while.  Stanton could keep a defense off balance for a while.  Why not even try mixing it up in a game, especially once we hit the point where the opponent has solved our offense?

Fortunately the problems with the offense are/were fixable.  Just frustrating that they were not fixed.  With Williams back next season and Rodgers a sophomore the offense should be improved.  But it seems like we wasted Devante Boyd's senior season.

I'm good with keeping Cotton because it's a tough hire to find anyone else as qualified who would want the job.  I just want a little more creativity from him.

12 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

To me it makes sense to get rid of Baer this year, but not Cotton.  Get the defense going in the right direction and then if want to get rid of Cotton next year, make that move.  I don't think scrapping both sides of the ball would be a good move for Sanchez when he really needs a bowl game and a winning record next season.  I think getting rid of Cotton next year would be smart though.  

From what we saw this season, the defense was way more of a problem than the offense - Next year Rogers should be more experienced and the RB position will be deeper - Thinking the offense will be fine - Defense needs a complete retooling 

6 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

NLOI signing day is only 13 days away.  You have to wonder if this will affect any of the players Baer and LaRuss recruited (?)

The news broke today, but from some tweets it looks as if the coaches were cut loose last week sometime.

So how this has been affecting recruiting is anyone's guess - but this could be a positive for new recruits in that now they know every defensive position is potentially open and that changes are for sure coming 

18 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

The offense did move the ball.  But it was frustrating because with the talent we had we should have been able to keep that going for complete games.  Instead several opponents seemed to reach the point where they continually anticipated what we were going to do next.  A real lack of play-calling creativity.  Rodgers could keep a defense off balance for a while.  Stanton could keep a defense off balance for a while.  Why not even try mixing it up in a game, especially once we hit the point where the opponent has solved our offense?

Fortunately the problems with the offense are/were fixable.  Just frustrating that they were not fixed.  With Williams back next season and Rodgers a sophomore the offense should be improved.  But it seems like we wasted Devante Boyd's senior season.

I'm good with keeping Cotton because it's a tough hire to find anyone else as qualified who would want the job.  I just want a little more creativity from him.

Play calling can be an easy adjustment - The offense wasn't the overall problem as much as the defense 

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

The news broke today, but from some tweets it looks as if the coaches were cut loose last week sometime.

So how this has been affecting recruiting is anyone's guess - but this could be a positive for new recruits in that now they know every defensive position is potentially open and that changes are for sure coming 

Hopefully a replacement has already been selected.

If it is the Florida assistant, that could be beneficial to recruiting because he should have some deep ties into SEC country and know some "almost SEC" recruits that are still available.

41 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Skipper would be a good hire

I'd be very happy with Skipper. Would be a huge upgrade, IMO.

15 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The Rebels' season ended two weeks ago. WTF took so long?

This. I expected this the Monday after our last game. That is when it should have happened.