Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Baer is fired as DC at UNLV

11 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

This. I expected this the Monday after our last game. That is when it should have happened.

It is still unclear when it happened, at some point "last week" which could have been not long after that.

The program just didn't announce it at that time, probably there was no need or benefit.  If they are bringing in replacement candidates soon then it had to be announced.

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

From what we saw this season, the defense was way more of a problem than the offense - Next year Rogers should be more experienced and the RB position will be deeper - Thinking the offense will be fine - Defense needs a complete retooling 

I sort of disagree and in the minority on this.  The offense had so many weapons and was mismanaged WAY more than the Defense was, with a lot less-limited talent.  If you look at how the season went, the D actually improved while the O regressed.  That offense should have put up the 40ppg that was their stated goal to begin the season.  

Baer sucked big donkey balls for sure and deserved to be fired, buf if you're asking me who did a better job last year Baer or Cotton - it's Baer for me simply because he had absolute garbage to work with and actually improved as the season went on, meanwhile Cotton did jack shit with a Rolls Royce offense except run up the middle 35 times a game with the same 3 plays  Who the +++++ runs 4th and inches out of a shotgun in 2017?  Barney Cotton does!  Cotton can take his 200-300 rush yards per game and go jerk off to his awesome stats in retirement as far as I am concerned. He is going to get Armani killed calling the same crap he called the last 2 games.

5 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

I sort of disagree and in the minority on this.  The offense had so many weapons and was mismanaged WAY more than the Defense was, with a lot less-limited talent.  If you look at how the season went, the D actually improved while the O regressed.  That offense should have put up the 40ppg that was their stated goal to begin the season.  

Baer sucked big donkey balls for sure and deserved to be fired, buf if you're asking me who did a better job last year Baer or Cotton - it's Baer for me simply because he had absolute garbage to work with and actually improved as the season went on, meanwhile Cotton did jack shit with a Rolls Royce offense except run up the middle 35 times a game with the same 3 plays  Who the +++++ runs 4th and inches out of a shotgun in 2017?  Barney Cotton does!  Cotton can take his 200-300 rush yards per game and go jerk off to his awesome stats in retirement as far as I am concerned. He is going to get Armani killed calling the same crap he called the last 2 games.

Can see your points.........but the play calling can be fixed a lot quicker IMO, as the weapons are there for UNLV to have a solid offense - How much of this seasons play calling was due to Rogers being an untested freshman?? Seemed the passing game would look at Boyd right off in some games with a couple of passes his way, they nothing for the rest of the game to Boyd.

Next season UNLV should have Williams, Thomas & Campbell at RB which might take the "run Rogers" plays off the table -

Defense was a sieve most of the season and 3rd & longs were converted all season long - there were some nice spots here & there, but still overall the defense was a way bigger problem than the offense.

I'm hoping that next year with deeper RB's and Rogers being a sophomore the offense will improve and diversify, but as long as Cotton is OC, I doubt UNLV will ever be a pass first up-temp offense, that's just not Cotton's history 

Guest RoscoesDad
1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Can see your points.........but the play calling can be fixed a lot quicker IMO, as the weapons are there for UNLV to have a solid offense - How much of this seasons play calling was due to Rogers being an untested freshman?? Seemed the passing game would look at Boyd right off in some games with a couple of passes his way, they nothing for the rest of the game to Boyd.

Next season UNLV should have Williams, Thomas & Campbell at RB which might take the "run Rogers" plays off the table -

Defense was a sieve most of the season and 3rd & longs were converted all season long - there were some nice spots here & there, but still overall the defense was a way bigger problem than the offense.

I'm hoping that next year with deeper RB's and Rogers being a sophomore the offense will improve and diversify, but as long as Cotton is OC, I doubt UNLV will ever be a pass first up-temp offense, that's just not Cotton's history 

The only sufficient reason I could see for keeping Cotton is that we need to go balls out on salary with a new DC and can't afford to hire 2 new coordinators.  

Now knowing UNLV - that's not going to happen and they will hire some shit DC who comes with the cheapest price tag.  

Oh and where are all the TKM haters asking about what our new MILF AD is up to on this?  So concerned about the AD before...now not so much.

51 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

It is still unclear when it happened, at some point "last week" which could have been not long after that.

The program just didn't announce it at that time, probably there was no need or benefit.  If they are bringing in replacement candidates soon then it had to be announced.

UNLV isn't a program that has to make instant moves to appease a vast fan base or lots of major big $$ donors.........the big P5 schools make the quick moves because millions of $$ are at stake from donors and large fan bases.

P5's make fast moves because they want and can get in on some hot coaches that are in demand from other P5 programs...........UNLV isn't going to hire anyone away from another program & certainly doesn't have the $$ to lure anyone away from a good paying position. Coaches come to places like UNLV because they are either coming up from tiny programs or are recovering their careers after being booted from larger programs.

The new hires will probably be guys coming from smaller programs where they are gaining a reputation or from some of the recently fired staffs at one of the larger programs where the guys need to stop the free fall 

4 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

The only sufficient reason I could see for keeping Cotton is that we need to go balls out on salary with a new DC and can't afford to hire 2 new coordinators.  

Now knowing UNLV - that's not going to happen and they will hire some shit DC who comes with the cheapest price tag.  

Oh and where are all the TKM haters asking about what our new MILF AD is up to on this?  So concerned about the AD before...now not so much.

$$ are always a concern where UNLV & MWC / G5's are concerned............so if UNLV had to make a move, you can probably bet the $$ were looked at. .......not like Sanchez has millions to toss at his staff.............Nebraska is giving Scott Frost $5 or $6 Million per year then adding assistants, all the while still paying off Bo Pellini, a former AD, and now Reilley...............UNLV is still on the hook paying off Dave Rice & that also factors in 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Play calling can be an easy adjustment - The offense wasn't the overall problem as much as the defense 

If you look back at the season you will find plenty of times when our (not deep enough) defense was gassed from being on the field too much.  The offense wasn't doing them any favors with the 3-and-out drives that allowed them very little rest.

32 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Can see your points.........but the play calling can be fixed a lot quicker IMO, as the weapons are there for UNLV to have a solid offense -

I just don't see a coach in his 60's suddenly figuring out how to call plays.  This season I didn't see the personnel we had used effectively.  Yes we get Williams back but we lose Boyd.  I don't know how much of the play calling is Sanchez and how much is Cotton.  But ultimately Sanchez needs to set the tone.

6 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

If you look back at the season you will find plenty of times when our (not deep enough) defense was gassed from being on the field too much.  The offense wasn't doing them any favors with the 3-and-out drives that allowed them very little rest.

I just don't see a coach in his 60's suddenly figuring out how to call plays.  This season I didn't see the personnel we had used effectively.  Yes we get Williams back but we lose Boyd.  I don't know how much of the play calling is Sanchez and how much is Cotton.  But ultimately Sanchez needs to set the tone.

Boyd is a loss, but also Boyd's number went down each season he was at UNLV - His number of catches & yards decreased from FR to SO to JR to SR - either teams covered him better, or took him out more often, or did UNLV just not go to him as much which seemed to be the case this year 

56 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

She lets Sanchize make his own staff calls.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/dec/09/unlv-football-fires-defensive-coordinator-special/

Under Baer, UNLV struggled to cover deep passes and the run defense was often porous, especially when matched up against option offenses. In 2017, the Rebels ranked 111th in yards allowed per game (459.5) and 110th in yards per play (6.3). Opponents averaged at least 6.0 yards per play against UNLV in each of Baer’s three seasons as defensive coordinator.

The Rebels also had a difficult time pressuring opposing quarterbacks. In 2017, UNLV sacked passers on just 3.3 percent of dropbacks, the eight-worst sack rate in the nation.

For the season, UNLV allowed 31.8 points per game, a four-year low for the program but good for just 96th in the nation.

2 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

Why do you hate on DRF so much? Yet, you set out to protect the dumb bitch, TKM? Doesn’t make any sense. She must be your neighbor, relative or former crush.  Maybe current crush? Who knows. 

i just got home from a very difficult day to see this good news. i was wondering what took them so long, almost to the point of thinking it wasn't going to happen. i figured cotton would get another year, but as far as i'm concerned, he needs to go too, and get someone here that can call more than the same 3 plays. it's pretty sad when even i could tell you what was coming next. hopefully that happens next year, i guess one side at a time.

Also from https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/dec/09/unlv-football-fires-defensive-coordinator-special/

Sanchez said he’d like to see the next defensive coordinator bring a more aggressive approach.

“Some are odd-front guys, some are even-front guys,” he said. “Obviously we want to match it to our personnel and the guys that we’ve recruited. One of the biggest things is getting a little bit more pressure on the quarterback, being a little bit more aggressive in those situations and then just getting a little bit better against the run.”

With the departures of Baer and LaRussa, plus the NCAA adding a 10th coaching position starting next season, Sanchez will have three hires to make this offseason. He said the additional assistant will likely be a defensive coach.

Guest RoscoesDad
On 12/9/2017 at 4:44 PM, BleedRed702 said:

Why do you hate on DRF so much? Yet, you set out to protect the dumb bitch, TKM? Doesn’t make any sense. She must be your neighbor, relative or former crush.  Maybe current crush? Who knows. 

LOL are you retarded?  Go back in my post history and show me where I have 'hated' on DRF.   I praised her hire and am asking questions about what she is doing. Which is a hell of a lot nicer than you +++++ing toolbags were to TKM. 

Note that you can't even answer my question about DRF because she hasn't done a goddamn thing yet.  Typically when FB coaches are fired, we hear from the AD. 

Nice job on the  'dumb bitch', btw. Classssssssssy.

30 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

LOL are you retarded?  Go back in my post history and show me where I have 'hated' on DRF.   I praised her hire and am asking questions about what she is doing. Which is a hell of a lot nicer than you +++++ing toolbags were to TKM. 

Note that you can't even answer my question about DRF because she hasn't done a goddamn thing yet.  Typically when FB coaches are fired, we hear from the AD. 

Nice job on the  'dumb bitch', btw. Classssssssssy.

Speaking truth. TKM was and still is a dumb bitch. Look how she handled all the coaches. Extending then firing. Wasting university money. The whole Dave Rice thing was an utter joke and embarrassment. Fires mid season then doesn't have anything lined up when the season ends. Tries to bring Cronin out and then bad mouths him to the media after he supposedly retreads. Beard fiasco, and then she finally lands with Menzies (which she lucked into). Albeit the second time around for Menzies she had to boost the salary. She is an utter embarrassment to UNLV and should have nothing to do with the university. And before you go on about Livingood, he sucked too. But TKM should NEVER have been made full time AD. 

But thanks for confirming your infatuation with her (as if it wasn't already obvious).