Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada vs TCU

10 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Marquise Gainous << -- Was the other front court guy along with Lee Nailon for the 1998-99 Frogs - LV prepster Prince Fowler ran the PG for Tubbs 

Tubbs & Bayno of UNLV had some snit going - One game at UNLV......Tubbs had his team come out of the locker room all holding sparklers as a shot at UNLV's fireworks pregame show !! 

Fun fact. I beat Prince Fowler in a game of 21 at the North Las Vegas rec center next to JD Smith. That is my greatest athletic accomplishment.

10 hours ago, SLCPoke said:

If Muss could get these guys playing ina. Semi-organized manner on offense they have the talent to be top 10 imo. 

Alright, take it easy.

10 hours ago, cardrater said:

It was fun. They will be ranked again sometime this year and just think, Nevada will most likely be a top 10 team next season. 

Are they getting any respectable bigs?  They're all juniors pretty much right? These same players just being a year older are not going to make a massive difference. They're all juniors pretty much right?

18 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Are they getting any respectable bigs?  They're all juniors pretty much right? These same players just being a year older are not going to make a massive difference. They're all juniors pretty much right?

Drew, Caroline, and the twins are Jrs. Plus they have four transfers  sitting out and then they have two Bigs coming in that are freshman.  There obviously can be some turnover, but they will definitely have size next year. Too early to bank on all that tho

10 hours ago, bigd said:

If Nevada goes 14-4 in conference and wins the rest of our OOC games we will have an projected RPI of 14. There is absolutely no way that we would get left out of the tournament.

No doubt this week was a dissapointment, but I'm sure we'll learn and improve from it. The fact is we went toe to toe against two top 25 teams in neutral/road games. 

With RPI you don’t look at the individual number for a team, you look at their wins and losses. If we go 14-4 with the only losses being road ones to the good teams, and things go chalk the rest of the way, we’d have 1 top 50 win (Rhode Island) and none on he road. Which is only a slightly better than last year. We’d also only have 6 top 100 wins total, which is worse than last year. And if this assumes our losses come to the good teams on the road, we will have zero road wins against the top 100.

And that’s if things go chalk. It could get bad in a hurry if Air Force and San Jose start beating some teams. Our numbers would tank. 

We really blew it this week.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

With RPI you don’t look at the individual number for a team, you look at their wins and losses. If we go 14-4 with the only losses being road ones to the good teams, and things go chalk the rest of the way, we’d have 1 top 50 win (Rhode Island) and none on he road. Which is only a slightly better than last year. We’d also only have 6 top 100 wins total, which is worse than last year. And if this assumes our losses come to the good teams on the road, we will have zero road wins against the top 100.

And that’s if things go chalk. It could get bad in a hurry if Air Force and San Jose start beating some teams. Our numbers would tank. 

We really blew it this week.

I predict you'll get 1 or two top 100 road wins in conference.

1 hour ago, IanforHeisman said:

We’re getting one team. Nevada isn’t winning it’s big games and neither is UNLV. Top 50 wins are what matters and there won’t be many on anyone’s resume. 

The years we were getting at large teams everyone was winning big games. And we didn’t have anchors.

It isn’t just top 50 wins anymore. The best wins (quadrant 1) will now be considered top 50 for neutral court, top 30 for home games, and top 75 for road games. How that changes the at-large chances for the MWC, I have no idea. 

Not only are the definitions of good wins (and bad losses) changing to include the location of the game, the metrics used are also expanding. The committee will look at both results-based (win-loss only, no margin of victory) and predictive metrics. I think the results-based metrics used will be RPI, KPI, and BPI’s strength of record (SOR). The predictive metrics will be KenPom, BPI, and Sagarin.

I am slightly optimistic that the conference can get two bids. UNLV, BSU, and NEV have non-negligible chance to build respectable at large resumes.  It definitely isn’t a shoe in. It will require the top 3 teams to avoid any losses to the bottom and home losses to teams that aren’t at the top.  

It’ll be interesting to see how the numbers look at the end of the non conference schedule in a couple of weeks. 

EDIT: After posting this, I saw that SDSU is losing to Cal at home. My optimism is dwindling.

15 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

It isn’t just top 50 wins anymore. The best wins (quadrant 1) will now be considered top 50 for neutral court, top 30 for home games, and top 75 for road games. How that changes the at-large chances for the MWC, I have no idea. 

Not only are the definitions of good wins (and bad losses) changing to include the location of the game, the metrics used are also expanding. The committee will look at both results-based (win-loss only, no margin of victory) and predictive metrics. I think the results-based metrics used will be RPI, KPI, and BPI’s strength of record (SOR). The predictive metrics will be KenPom, BPI, and Sagarin.

I am slightly optimistic that the conference can get two bids. UNLV, BSU, and NEV have non-negligible chance to build respectable at large resumes.  It definitely isn’t a shoe in. It will require the top 3 teams to avoid any losses to the bottom and home losses to teams that aren’t at the top.  

It’ll be interesting to see how the numbers look at the end of the non conference schedule in a couple of weeks. 

EDIT: After posting this, I saw that SDSU is losing to Cal at home. My optimism is dwindling.

Thanks, I missed the announcement of those changes over the summer. This puts Nevada 0-2 against quality opposition with only roadies in Boise and San Diego left of the schedule according to RPI forecast. Rhode Island is projected to finish with an RPI of 31 right now.

tenor.gif?itemid=5139664

SDSU is 0-1 with Gonzaga at home, and BSU and Nevada left.

Boise is 1-0 with SMU, Nevada, and SDSU left.

Fresno and UNLV finishing in the top 75 would give everyone another 2 chances.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

26 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Thanks, I missed the announcement of those changes over the summer. This puts Nevada 0-2 against quality opposition with only roadies in Boise and San Diego left of the schedule according to RPI forecast. Rhode Island is projected to finish with an RPI of 31 right now.

tenor.gif?itemid=5139664

SDSU is 0-1 with Gonzaga at home, and BSU and Nevada left.

Boise is 1-0 with SMU, Nevada, and SDSU left.

Fresno and UNLV finishing in the top 75 would give everyone another 2 chances.

So I took a quick look at some of the metrics (BPI, SOR, Sagarin, and KenPom) to see how the opportunities stack up as of today. Since you appear to have tracked RPI you'll be able to get a feel on the opportunities there. I am interested to see how the KPI views the MWC when it comes out for the first time on Monday. Here are the definitions of the type of wins the committee will be using: 

Quadrant 1:  Home: 1-30, Away: 1-75, Neutral 1-50

Quadrant 2: Home: 31-75, Away: 76-136, Neutral: 51-100

Quadrant 3: Home: 76-160, Away: 136-240, Neutral: 101-200

Quadrant 4: Home: 161+, Away: 241+, Neutral: 201+

I only listed Quadrants 1 and 2 as I believe the other two fall into a "DO NOT F***ING LOSE ANY OF THESE" category for any MWC teams hoping for an at-large opportunity. It doesn't paint a bleak picture, to me; but it doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies either. Plus I am still hung up on the Wolf Pack giving away a top quality win against Texas Tech. :engraged:

Link to an article describing the new process: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-12-05/ncaa-selection-committee-adjusts-team-sheets-emphasizing

Disclaimer: I may have screwed up.

KenPom Quadrant 1 opporutnities (The Crem De La Crem)

Nev (34)- away

SDSU (59)- away

BSU (62)- away

FSU (70)- away

KenPom Quadrant 2 opportunities (Racking up a bunch of these is good but better get some 1s)

Nev (34)- home

SDSU (59)- home

BSU (62)- home

FSU (70)- home

UNLV (79)- away (they are 4 spots from being a quad. 1 road win and quad. 2 home win)

BPI Quadrant 1 opportunities

Nev (19)- home and away

SDSU (59) - away

BSU (52) - away

FSU (69) - away

UNLV (75)- away

BPI Quadrant 2 opportunities

SDSU (59)- home

BSU (52)- home

FSU (69)- home

UNLV (75)- home

USU (129)- away

UNM (130) - away

SOR Quadrant 1 opportunities

Nev (21)- home and away

BSU (26)- home and away

SOR Quadrant 2 opportunities

Wyo (82)- away

UNLV (93)- away

SDSU (96)- away

FSU (97)- away

Sagarin Quadrant 1 opportunities

Nev (33)- away

SDSU (49)- away 

BSU (56) - away

UNLV (66) - away

Sagarin Quadrant 2 opporunities

Nev (33) - home

SDSU (49) - home

BSU (56) - home

UNLV (66) - home

FSU (77) - away

Wyo (129) - away

USU (130) - away

31 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

So I took a quick look at some of the metrics (BPI, SOR, Sagarin, and KenPom) to see how the opportunities stack up as of today. Since you appear to have tracked RPI you'll be able to get a feel on the opportunities there. I am interested to see how the KPI views the MWC when it comes out for the first time on Monday. Here are the definitions of the type of wins the committee will be using: 

Quadrant 1:  Home: 1-30, Away: 1-75, Neutral 1-50

Quadrant 2: Home: 31-75, Away: 76-136, Neutral: 51-100

Quadrant 3: Home: 76-160, Away: 136-240, Neutral: 101-200

Quadrant 4: Home: 161+, Away: 241+, Neutral: 201+

I only listed Quadrants 1 and 2 as I believe the other two fall into a "DO NOT F***ING LOSE ANY OF THESE" category for any MWC teams hoping for an at-large opportunity. It doesn't paint a bleak picture, to me; but it doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies either. Plus I am still hung up on the Wolf Pack giving away a top quality win against Texas Tech. :engraged:

Link to an article describing the new process: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-12-05/ncaa-selection-committee-adjusts-team-sheets-emphasizing

Disclaimer: I may have screwed up.

KenPom Quadrant 1 opporutnities (The Crem De La Crem)

Nev (34)- away

SDSU (59)- away

BSU (62)- away

FSU (70)- away

KenPom Quadrant 2 opportunities (Racking up a bunch of these is good but better get some 1s)

Nev (34)- home

SDSU (59)- home

BSU (62)- home

FSU (70)- home

UNLV (79)- away (they are 4 spots from being a quad. 1 road win and quad. 2 home win)

BPI Quadrant 1 opportunities

Nev (19)- home and away

SDSU (59) - away

BSU (52) - away

FSU (69) - away

UNLV (75)- away

BPI Quadrant 2 opportunities

SDSU (59)- home

BSU (52)- home

FSU (69)- home

UNLV (75)- home

USU (129)- away

UNM (130) - away

SOR Quadrant 1 opportunities

Nev (21)- home and away

BSU (26)- home and away

SOR Quadrant 2 opportunities

Wyo (82)- away

UNLV (93)- away

SDSU (96)- away

FSU (97)- away

Sagarin Quadrant 1 opportunities

Nev (33)- away

SDSU (49)- away 

BSU (56) - away

UNLV (66) - away

Sagarin Quadrant 2 opporunities

Nev (33) - home

SDSU (49) - home

BSU (56) - home

UNLV (66) - home

FSU (77) - away

Wyo (129) - away

USU (130) - away

Very cool, we should take this info to the weekly threads.