Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Roy Moore

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You seem to care a lot. Do you need a hug?

No but thanks for asking

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I've typed and re-typed a bunch of stuff in response to what's been said by the defenders of Roy Moore here, but what's the point.  Take away the young girl stuff and there's still been more than enough out of Moore's own mouth to convict him of being a massive shit stain. I'm not sure you can reason with anyone who can't see that. Our differences are just too far and wide. 

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

I've typed and re-typed a bunch of stuff in response to what's been said by the defenders of Roy Moore here, but what's the point.  Take away the young girl stuff and there's still been more than enough out of Moore's own mouth to convict him of being a massive shit stain. I'm not sure you can reason with anyone who can't see that. Our differences are just too far and wide. 

It honestly makes the Republican Party look deplorable when people try to defend this guy to get his vote over the evil liberal.   Slavery was great for families, gays can't be parents, "dating" teenagers, being banned from the mall for being creepy.  Not believing Obama was a US citizen.   This is your guy GOP, fight for him.  

Posted Image

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

That’s how I see it.. His stances on why American women shouldn’t vote and how America hasn’t been great since we had slavery is enough to know what type of person he is.

11 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

He obviously hasn't got enough of them, willingly at least, up until now. Some definite misogyny there. 

So now you're accusing me if being a rapist? 

LOL

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

7 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

That’s how I see it.. His stances on why American women shouldn’t vote and how America hasn’t been great since we had slavery is enough to know what type of person he is.

So use THAT instead of calling the man a pedophile and a rapist.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

i seriously don't know.

if i try to see where they're coming from, i can appreciate how if you're already predisposed to disbelieve this sort of thing that the timing can appear to be contrived.  and reacting as though we're trying to convict Roy Moore and sentence him rather than declare him unfit to run for office might also be part of the animus for their reactions.  but i'm fascinated and unsettled by the whole "get a brain morans" tinge to their reasoning.  both wonder boy above and wyoming coog are adamant that *WE* are the duped ones.  that we are the fools, the stupid, the lacking intellect, the deceived.

as though our regular posting histories and abilities to plumb a topic and engage in civil reasoning isn't evidence of our ability to think critically, but even more evidence of our idiocy.  when someone has demonstrated solid reasoning and thinking to me and they arrive at a very different conclusion i virtually always re-evaluate my own approach and either change it or discover a reasonable position that while i may not agree with it, it's still tenable.  i haven't seen that sort of demonstration from those who on this thread have attempted to discredit Beverly Nelson...  not in the slightest...  i just can't see a tenable position.  

creating room in your mind to believe that a 14-16 year old girl 'wanted it,' essentially -- she initiating the request to sign the yearbook, she boasting of it, she having nefarious purposes for it?  that's MORE believable than a late 20s man having a hard-on for younger girls?  i'm astounded anyone legitimately thinks this.

Wanted what? I simply want from you people accusing man of being a rapist in the absence of any evidence to admit that you are doing so for entirely political reasons. This is disgusting in the extreme and the absolute lowest form of politics.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

do you know what 'misogyny' means?

Read the first sentence. 

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

7 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Wanted what? I simply want from you people accusing man of being a rapist in the absence of any evidence to admit that you are doing so for entirely political reasons. This is disgusting in the extreme and the absolute lowest form of politics.

No evidence? Lol. I find that when defending a pedophile because he is in your party that you probably shouldn’t lecture others. 

Crazy how quickly we abandon right and wrong for political expediency. How freely we abandon principles and basic human decency in the face of losing a Senate vote. 

Enjoy your blinders.

34 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I don't admit I'm doing so for entirely political reasons.

I vote for republicans when I feel like they're good candidates and have done so in state, local, and presidential elections several times in the last 5 years.  I voted Romney in 2012 and several Republican candidates for local Virginia positions.  I'm morally opposed to gay marriage for crying out loud.  I don't hate Republicans.  I just think they've gone certifiably nuts with gun rights, taxes on the rich, governmental infrastructure spending and support, foreign diplomacy, and race relations.  I think the 2nd amendment is here to stay but that much more gun control is needed and will be effective, that taxes aren't theft and supply side economics don't work, the internet/roads/utilities/education are public goods and need emotional and financial support from the state, that peace is better than war, and that Black Lives most definitely Matter.  That doesn't make my disgust with Roy Moore political at all.

I find that in the preponderance of evidence and my own bias toward believing accusers that Roy Moore is most likely guilty of what he's accused of.  Namely:

- He did something inappropriate with a 14 year old girl against her will.  I don't believe her account is 100% accurate, but the situation that he found himself in is inappropriate and plain wrong.

- He had sexual interest in younger girls and with their parents' permissions, dated them with varying degrees of physical intimacy

- He signed Beverly Nelson's yearbook and left a statement to her beauty which on its own wouldn't mean much but in the face of other evidences means something more nefarious.

Please note I am not saying this evidence would hold water in a court of law.  I'm not a lawyer nor juror and he's not on trial.  What we're evaluating is his fitness for office.  Of all the things he's said and done, I find the the young girl thing the most unsettling and offensive.

16 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Why? Because it makes you feel uncomfortable?

Because it's dishonest and corrosive. Why is it important to you that the man is portrayed as a pedophile?

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, SDSUfan said:

Because it's dishonest and corrosive. Why is it important to you that the man is portrayed as a pedophile?

Because a man who most definitely might be a pedophile will be in a position to use his power to do even worse.

We're not trying to send him to jail or do him harm.  We just don't think he should be a senator.

6 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

I don't admit I'm doing so for entirely political reasons.

I vote for republicans when I feel like they're good candidates and have done so in state, local, and presidential elections several times in the last 5 years.  I voted Romney in 2012 and several Republican candidates for local Virginia positions.  I'm morally opposed to gay marriage for crying out loud.  I don't hate Republicans.  I just think they've gone certifiably nuts with gun rights, taxes on the rich, governmental infrastructure spending and support, foreign diplomacy, and race relations.  I think the 2nd amendment is here to stay but that much more gun control is needed and will be effective, that supply side economics don't work, the internet/roads/utilities/education are public goods and need emotional and financial support, that peace is better than war, and that Black Lives most definitely Matter.  That doesn't make my disgust with Roy Moore political at all.

I find that in the preponderance of evidence and my own bias toward believing accusers that Roy Moore is most likely guilty of what he's accused of.  Namely:

- He did something inappropriate with a 14 year old girl against her will.  I don't believe her account is 100% accurate, but the situation that he found himself in is inappropriate and plain wrong.

- He had sexual interest in younger girls and with their parents' permissions, dated them with varying degrees of physical intimacy

- He signed Beverly Nelson's yearbook and left a statement to her beauty which on its own wouldn't mean much but in the face of other evidences means something more nefarious.

Please note I am not saying this evidence would hold water in a court of law.  I'm not a lawyer nor juror and he's not on trial.  What we're evaluating is his fitness for office.  Of all the things he's said and done, I find the the young girl thing the most unsettling and offensive.

I found the 14-year-old’s story to be believable enough to disqualify Moore from public office, and the other girls’ stories and the mall banning show a pattern of behavior that support that story. 

People shouldn’t bury their head in the sand on this one.