Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

broncobob

NLOI Day - Two weeks away

So, the new early Football National Letter of Intent Day will be on Wednesday, December 20 - 22.  How do you think this will impact the recruiting at the G5 level?  We used to have a big party hosted by the local sports radio guys, but I think this two NLIO days will put a kabosh on that.  But it will be nice to nail down part of the 2018 recruiting class early.   But it is the recruits's choice which NLIO day to sign his NLOI on.  Should be interesting.

broncomwc.png

We all get played every year by some recruit(s) who are committed, but ready to jump at the last minute if a P5 comes calling.  We lost our top DT commit to Ole Miss on LOI day.  It happens.  The early LOI day really parses the process.  If a guy signs, he's obthe viously legit.  If not, he is definitely suspect.  A smart coach will open up recruiting for that spot immediately, and recruits need to know that in advance.  I don't begrudge a kid the opportunity to end up where he wants, but he needs to know that game playing may not work out too well.

My guess?  We're gonna' see the bulk of the two and three stars off of the market early.  Then the battle for the big names begins.

I think it favors us as it give the P5 less time to poach.  I like what Rocky is doing where if you verbal and you don't sign early you are gone - no more placeholder.  Hopefully the rest of the league does the same.

Yeah I agree it helps G5s because p5s can't swoop in like they used to. G5s will win those under the radar type players that get poached at the last minute.

Right now we're behind the 8-ball with our coaching staff not fully filled and our recruiting coordinator leaving. Davie has a plan so I guess it's just wait and see what he's going to do.

19 hours ago, Fowl said:

I think it favors us as it give the P5 less time to poach.  I like what Rocky is doing where if you verbal and you don't sign early you are gone - no more placeholder.  Hopefully the rest of the league does the same.

Yep CSU has already lost two.   Better in December than February

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

Although you know that if this is hurting the P5 it's going to get changed back in short order

It won't be "hurting" the P5... it will actually make it easier for them because they will see all the players with offers on the table that passed on the early signing and know that those are the ones who are clearly holding out for better offers.  

11 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

It won't be "hurting" the P5... it will actually make it easier for them because they will see all the players with offers on the table that passed on the early signing and know that those are the ones who are clearly holding out for better offers.  

They don't care who is holding out for bigger offers or not. They'll poach your guy who committed last spring. Happened to us plenty. The early signing period is great for us.

19 minutes ago, badfish said:

They don't care who is holding out for bigger offers or not. They'll poach your guy who committed last spring. Happened to us plenty. The early signing period is great for us.

Of course they don't care, but the early signing period essentially gives them a list of "free agents" to pick from.  And in future years I think they will adjust to poach sooner.

Oregon has been really bad in recent years.  Last November the top commit of UNLV's class got an Oregon offer, called it his "dream offer", then two days later decommitted.  I read an article recently that Oregon has been notorious for offering players within a few hours of when they get another PAC12 offer, to prevent a quick commit and possibly poach the player if they look closer and decide they actually want to work at recruiting him.

If a kid is committed to UNLV and doesn't sign early then you know he probably won't sign and you move on.  The early signing period also truncates the time between when a recruit's senior film comes out to when they sign (if early), thereby offering less poaching time.

For the most part at least according to recruiting sites are commits are stable. **crosses fingers**

I think if a guy doesn't sign in December, they are hoping for better offers in the Spring. I think this helps G5 schools somewhat as it gives less time for a P5 school to snatch recruits which has occurred often with Oregon State (under Andersen) who always seemed to recruit our commits.

Rolo said he will never use up his 25 offers (since that's all a coach can get even if they don't get eligible) in the spring just for that shot of guys slipping through the cracks.

20 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

We’ve already lost three to Ohio State, Arizona, and Wake +++++ing Forest. Lulz.

Wake Forest is a hell of a school- they have been recruiting out west for about a decade with sucess in odd places like Santa Barbara....