Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Pondering alternate history for Boise State football...

MWCBoarding today got me thinking about the 2010 football season for Boise State and how if our kicker wouldn't have been distracted by a helpless granny screaming for her life while being pushed down the stairs, would the Broncos had gone on to the Rose Bowl and changed the course of the program's history? Perhaps the NCAA wouldn't have put the hammer down on BSU's recruiting tactics and roids program, the underground practice facility would have been expanded to its full potential, Pete would have stayed with another bike path or two, the Pac-12 would have come calling with all our nouveau-dinero, and we could have recruited Josh Allen and transformed the sport altogether.  

If the NCAA never reduced our scholarships or banned our roids, for whatever reason, how many national titles would we have in this alternate timeline....and could we have ever outdrawn SDSU with attendance? 

What do my fellow Boise State fans think? Would Boise State have won multiple natties or nah? Random thoughts, but I thought it was worth discussing.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

49 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Boise State have won multiple natties or nah? Random thoughts, but I thought it was worth discussing.

I sometimes wonder about the worst case alternate history.  In 2006 Boise won by only 3 at San Jose State. They were down 20-12 late in the 4th quarter.  Scored a touchdown and 2 pt. conversion with 5 minutes left. Then a game winning field goal as time expires. 

If that doesn't happen, no Fiesta Bowl, Kellen decides to go elsewhere.  SJSU is still dominating to this day.  Lol.

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I sometimes wonder about the worst case alternate history.  In 2006 Boise won by only 3 at San Jose State. They were down 20-12 late in the 4th quarter.  Scored a touchdown and 2 pt. conversion with 5 minutes left. Then a game winning field goal as time expires. 

If that doesn't happen, no Fiesta Bowl, Kellen decides to go elsewhere.  SJSU is still dominating to this day.  Lol.

My lord, we'd have TSJSUFs like creeper all over this board!!!!

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

San Jose won that game. They scored a long td in the 4th that was called back on a phantom hold.

6 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

San Jose won that game. They scored a long td in the 4th that was called back on a phantom hold.

TafralisforHeisman just doesn't have the same ring to it. 

Ahh the old what-ifs.  SDSU fan has pretty much everyone beat on that deal with the old Aztec curse.  These are just the ones that really stick out to me.

'90 vs #1 Miami when our kicker duck hooks the winning kick from 30 yards out with no time left.

'92 the tie vs USC when our kicker (same one) pushed the winning FG at the end of the game after Marshall torched them for over 200 yards and we controlled that game.

That's enough.  Don't feel like going there again.

What if Fresno had beaten USC in 2005? They were well on their way to something special, even with Bush running roughshod over them, Pinegar hurts his shoulder, they lose at the very end, and things were never the same...that loss really crippled them for a good while, and ultimately, IMO, led to Hill losing his job several years later. 

If they win that, they probably end up in the Fiesta or something similar, changing the trajectory of their program. 

14 hours ago, 406WarriorFan said:

What if Fresno had beaten USC in 2005? They were well on their way to something special, even with Bush running roughshod over them, Pinegar hurts his shoulder, they lose at the very end, and things were never the same...that loss really crippled them for a good while, and ultimately, IMO, led to Hill losing his job several years later. 

If they win that, they probably end up in the Fiesta or something similar, changing the trajectory of their program. 

Fresno didn't drop at all in the rankings following their loss.  You never see that.  If they had beaten USC?  They ride that momentum to a top-10 finish.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

If things had turned out differently for Boise, we would have missed out on one of the best reaction videos ever.

I miss these.. There were a bunch of good ones.

There was a hilarious one about the MWC using a foreign talk show where the host couldn’t stop laughing. 

8 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Fresno didn't drop at all in the rankings following their loss.  You never see that.  If they had beaten USC?  They ride that momentum to a top-10 finish.

Assuming we didn't collapse after that game anyway --- which was always a possibility for Pat Hill teams --- we likely would have faced Ohio State or Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl that year. Or they could have gone with a USC rematch for that matter, since the Trojans likely wouldn't have been playing in the National Championship game having lost to us.