Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rev McQuervo

Finally, Not too Happy in SD

First time I can recall in 29 year in SD that the media is actually pissed. Sports radio(s) and printed press along with the TV channels are spelling it out for what it is $$$:

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/bryce-miller/sd-sp-miller-aztecs-bowl-game-army-mountain-west-20171204-story.html

The Bowl fiasco was bad enough- but Penny getting the shaft= too much.

I don’t blame this on Hair.  The Foster Farms bowl was going to take a B1G team over a MWC team as soon as they had that option.  Didn’t matter if it was Purdue.  If Wisconsin had won you’d be in the Foster Farms bowl.  Also, if you had beaten Fresno & Boise at home you’d probably be in a NY6 game over UCF. So really you only have yourselves to blame. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Its not all about the Useless Wonder- the second piece of this comment has to do with the snubbing of the best back in the country. SDSU "Marketing" is a friggin joke has been ever since Schnall took the job 25 years (too long) ago and our AD not stepping up and promoting the kid. (See Marshall and more recently Pumphry for points of reference specific to SDSU)

I like college FB because of the pageantry and emotion. I am starting to not like (at all) ESPN and their overall influence. Its killing the game.

19 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

How many 10s of SUDS fans will be traveling to Fort Worth?

Why would someone leave 72* to go freeze in Ft Worth? I have lived in every corner of this country-No F'ing way am I going to the Nation of Texas to freeze and watch a boring game. Yet to answer your question, we will have about what SJSU gets for their Home games representing in Ft Worthless.

33 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

How many 10s of SUDS fans will be traveling to Fort Worth?

A lot of fans on the boards are boycotting the bowl. I believe we have a solid Dallas Alumni group, so we'll see.

4 minutes ago, badfish said:

A lot of fans on the boards are boycotting the bowl. I believe we have a solid Dallas Alumni group, so we'll see.

When the Aztecs used to visit TCU in football, it always looked like there were less than 50 in the visiting section.

What a stupid, whiny article. What did SDSU expect? They didn’t even win their division. And we all know that the MWC bowl tie-ins blow. So is the author just railing against a stupid bowl system?

Just seems like a lot of whining. 

48 minutes ago, Rev McQuervo said:

I like college FB because of the pageantry and emotion. I am starting to not like (at all) ESPN and their overall influence. Its killing the game.

I agree with this, heavily.

1 hour ago, Rev McQuervo said:

First time I can recall in 29 year in SD that the media is actually pissed. Sports radio(s) and printed press along with the TV channels are spelling it out for what it is $$$:

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/bryce-miller/sd-sp-miller-aztecs-bowl-game-army-mountain-west-20171204-story.html

The Bowl fiasco was bad enough- but Penny getting the shaft= too much.

Buncha whiners.  Winners don't blame external forces for their failures.

Sorta tongue-in-cheek....sorta.

40 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

What a stupid, whiny article. What did SDSU expect? They didn’t even win their division. And we all know that the MWC bowl tie-ins blow. So is the author just railing against a stupid bowl system?

Just seems like a lot of whining. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that your de-facto third place team gets third choice of the games.  It sounds like they nearly didn't have a game.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Its not all about the Useless Wonder- the second piece of this comment has to do with the snubbing of the best back in the country. SDSU "Marketing" is a friggin joke has been ever since Schnall took the job 25 years (too long) ago and our AD not stepping up and promoting the kid. (See Marshall and more recently Pumphry for points of reference specific to SDSU)

LOL, it hasn't been about that for some time.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 minute ago, Jack Bauer said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that your de-facto third place team gets third choice of the games.  It sounds like they nearly didn't have a game.

Bowls get choices and pick teams, not the other way around.  It's been this way for 20 years or so.

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

I don’t blame this on Hair.  The Foster Farms bowl was going to take a B1G team over a MWC team as soon as they had that option.  Didn’t matter if it was Purdue.  If Wisconsin had won you’d be in the Foster Farms bowl.  Also, if you had beaten Fresno & Boise at home you’d probably be in a NY6 game over UCF. So really you only have yourselves to blame. 

I agree that we could (should) have taken care of our own destiny. And if our bye had been scheduled sometime before the fn end of the season, we would be in the Access Bowl.

However, your fn high if you don't think/see/realize that the craptastic bowl tie-ins we have is a direct result of commish incompetence. As the lead-in to the article reads:

"This is an indictment of a tie-in tangled, TV-dictated system. And more pointedly, it’s an indictment of the Mountain West conference."

Just because this fecal-filled bucket of mountain goat poop was a step-up from the dystopian wasteland that was the WAC doesn't mean it's a good conference - it just means your old digs sucked even worse.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

10 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I agree that we could (should) have taken care of our own destiny. And if our bye had been scheduled sometime before the fn end of the season, we would be in the Access Bowl.

However, your fn high if you don't think/see/realize that the craptastic bowl tie-ins we have is a direct result of commish incompetence. As the lead-in to the article reads:

Just because this fecal-filled bucket of mountain goat poop was a step-up from the dystopian wasteland that was the WAC doesn't mean it's a good conference - it just means your old digs sucked even worse.

I agree our bowl tie ins suck, but it doesn't mean SDSU was intentionally hosed by the conference.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Welcome to 2017, where have you veen the last 7 years? BSPN has been ruining college football for years. If it weren't for college football I wouldn't watch bspn at all.

If we  beat the Donks and Fresneck, this isn't a topic. Penny gets his respect and we get the bowl game we seem to think we "deserve". Blaming Hair for any of this is a stretch.

We are who we are until we prove otherwise. It's why I'm not a big fan of arrogant mid-season shit talking. Win ...THEN... talk shit.  Too many Aztecs in this and other forums seem to have it backwards.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke