Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

US moving Israeli embassy to Jerusalem

Trump in March of 2016 - 

"We will move the American embassy to the eternal capital of the Jewish people, Jerusalem." 

Trump is fulfilling his campaign promises.  This should not be a surprise.  And imo, Jerusalem should be the capital of Israel. 

1 hour ago, nirv117 said:

They'll just put a new sign on the US Consulate building in Jerusalem that says Embassy.

I am not sure it is that easy. Here in the US consulates of foreign countries can be an office building, but embassies have fences and such. An embassy is considered territory of that country while a consulate is still considered US territory. There is a Mexico consulate in my town in California. I could be wrong in the this situation.

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I am curious what day Trump will announce this. If I know Trump he likes to poke people in the eye. My guess December 9, 2017 100 years after the surrender of Jerusalem from the turks.

Surrender of Jerusalem

Well considering he just announced it, I’m not sure how else to tell you this......but, you’re wrong. 

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

Saddest thing is that somewhere around 15% to 20% of this country thinks this is a good thing precisely because it will further destabilize the region and bring us closer to WW3 because, you know, then Jesus comes back.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

This embassy move is not a new debate or discussion.  It was actually voted into law back in 1995 and passed by an overwhelming 98-5 margin in the Senate (including Feinstein's vote in favor of it) and 374-37 margin in the House.  It was never implemented as presidents exercised a loophole in the legislation to keep it from happening every 6 months since then, including Trump in June of this year I believe.  It just seems to me that he's not going to exercise that exception anymore and let it officially happen.  Seems unnecessarily inciteful to me but it makes some of the squawking from folks like Feinstein incredibly hypocritical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Embassy_Act

v0icAvfW.jpg

2 hours ago, WyomingCoog said:

Well considering he just announced it, I’m not sure how else to tell you this......but, you’re wrong. 

I guess I was wrong, but wasn't it last week. Also noticed online it said he said Jerusalem not east Jerusalem. Interesting.

Guest RoscoesDad
11 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

This embassy move is not a new debate or discussion.  It was actually voted into law back in 1995 and passed by an overwhelming 98-5 margin in the Senate (including Feinstein's vote in favor of it) and House (374-37).  It was never implemented as presidents exercised a loophole in the legislation to keep it from happening every 6 months since then, including Trump in June of this year I believe.  It just seems to me that he's not going to exercise that exception anymore and let it officially happen.  Seems unnecessarily inciteful to me but it makes some of the squawking from folks like Feinstein incredibly hypocritical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Embassy_Act

Why do you think every president in the last 20 or so years has made this promse, yet exercised the exemption?  Quick - google search.

2 minutes ago, pokebball said:

So, you want Trump to lie?

There's something to be said for consistency

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 hours ago, WyomingCoog said:

Christian Palestinians, fleeing the hardships of the Israeli occupation, have emigrated in disproportionate numbers from Palestine, particularly to the U.S., Central America, and Europe. Thus while most Palestinians are Muslims, many in the West are Christian.

comprehension isn't your strong suit, me thinks. 

Palestinians aren't the ones left living under the apartheid Zionist regime....they live in other parts of the region (Lebanon, Jordan, etc.) as well as other parts of the world.

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

I'm well aware...  but thanks!

So go ahead then and spell out why trunp's actions are better than his predecssors and why trumps idea is better than previous us policy.  No google searches and cut and pastes. 

17 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

So go ahead then and spell out why trunp's actions are better than his predecssors and why trumps idea is better than previous us policy.  No google searches and cut and pastes. 

Don’t be a douche.  I didn’t copy and paste anything in my post and getting your panties are all in a wad over your inaccurate assumption I support Trump here is silly.  Go read my post again with your good eye.  I didn’t make any defense of Trump nor did I make a case for the move.  In fact, I even called it unnecessarily inciteful.  But go ahead with your outrage...  LOL!

v0icAvfW.jpg

22 hours ago, 406WarriorFan said:

wtf lol u can’t be serious...sauce?

In 1950, Bethlehem and the surrounding villages were 86 percent Christian. But by 2016, the Christian population dipped to just 12 percent, according Bethlehem mayor Vera Baboun. Across the West Bank, Christians now account for less than 2 percent of the population, though in the 1970s, Christians were 5 percent of the population. In Bethlehem, the traditional birthplace of Jesus, today there are just 11,000 Christians.

https://www.ncronline.org/news/world/bethlehems-declining-christian-population-casts-shadow-over-christmas

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

12 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

His predecessor's actions haven't worked...or did I miss something?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I'm not really a Trump nor Israel defender, and though I do question him needlessly kicking the hornets the nest, this is whole thing has been kind of stupid. Israel gets to make it's own capital and it's capital is clearly Jerusalem.

This is similar to how we're not supposed call what is clearly Taiwan, Taiwan, just because we don't want to piss off the people who make our iPhones.