Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

Surprised.....

this didn't show up sooner.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/30/567625700/jury-in-san-francisco-finds-accused-killer-of-kate-steinle-not-guilty-of-murder

I hadn't followed the case closely and was suprised by some of the defense testimony.

"The defense also offered expert witnesses who testified that the bullet ricocheted off of the ground and traveled about 78 feet before striking Steinle."

From the limited stuff I saw the night of the verdict, it seems the assistant DA pushed for 1st degree murder charges when involuntary manslaughter would have been easier to prove considering no motive and the assailant did not know the victim. Surprisingly, no gun charge conviction either. The jury must have believed his "found gun under park bench and it went off when he unwrapped it" story. I guess the stolen BLM officer's gun might have discharged accidentally. The Feds have their chance at him now.

18 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

From the limited stuff I saw the night of the verdict, it seems the assistant DA pushed for 1st degree murder charges when involuntary manslaughter would have been easier to prove considering no motive and the assailant did not know the victim. Surprisingly, no gun charge conviction either. The jury must have believed his "found gun under park bench and it went off when he unwrapped it" story. I guess the stolen BLM officer's gun might have discharged accidentally. The Feds have their chance at him now.

Had he reported the gun being stolen? I wonder when it was stolen, days, weeks, before?

12 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Had he reported the gun being stolen? I wonder when it was stolen, days, weeks, before?

according to the article, it was found in a cloth under his bench at the pier. An expert witness testified that the bullet ricocheted off the ground before hitting Kate. If that's the case, I don't know how you could say it was anything other than an accident, but I'm sure there was more to the story than that. 

40 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

according to the article, it was found in a cloth under his bench at the pier. An expert witness testified that the bullet ricocheted off the ground before hitting Kate. If that's the case, I don't know how you could say it was anything other than an accident, but I'm sure there was more to the story than that. 

uh, the only accident was he wasn't deported.  A previously convicted career criminal illegal with a 20 year rap sheet, Shooting a gun, having a gun, waving a gun etc. into a crowd, and the gun goes off and kills someone is at the very least should be involuntary manslaughter.   This isn't some innocent guy who deserved to be there in the first place.  Anyway, this is one of the big reasons Trump was elected.    

1 minute ago, pokerider said:

uh, the only accident was he wasn't deported.  A previously convicted career criminal illegal with a 20 year rap sheet, Shooting a gun, having a gun, waving a gun etc. into a crowd, and the gun goes off and kills someone is at the very least should be involuntary manslaughter.   This isn't some innocent guy who deserved to be there in the first place.  Anyway, this is one of the big reasons Trump was elected.    

I don't know....I haven't paid much attention to the case other than a couple of articles. I won't disagree that as a career criminal and an illegal immigrant, he shouldn't have even been there to begin with. That being said, the trial was for murder and I don't believe that he was guilty of that. Manslaughter perhaps, but again, I don't know all the details. 

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

The prosecutor should have charged involuntary manslaughter as there were no witnesses that testified seeing Zarate "waving a gun".  That was only the prosecutor's speculation. The felony charge had to prove intent - made tougher by the defense "expert" testifying that the bullet had ricochetted - not sure how the prosecution argued against that.  

And he was deported 5 times so not sure a 6th would have done much. He'll probably be back before Trump's wall is built.

22 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

The prosecutor should have charged involuntary manslaughter as there were no witnesses that testified seeing Zarate "waving a gun".  That was only the prosecutor's speculation. The felony charge had to prove intent - made tougher by the defense "expert" testifying that the bullet had ricochetted - not sure how the prosecution argued against that.  

And he was deported 5 times so not sure a 6th would have done much. He'll probably be back before Trump's wall is built.

He'll probably be on Sheriff Joe's chain gang building the wall after Trump hires him as head whip man.

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

He testified that it was four days before the shooting. It's hard for me to believe that a service weapon would be in a condition that it would discharge that easily. 

16 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

This is the way I see it but I admit I haven't looked very much at this, I didn't know anything about it till the verdict was announced. BUt it looks like the prosecutors over-reached. This guy is not a good dude but there wasn't enough evidence to convict him of the crime he was charged with. Now Trump has a rallying cry for his wall.