Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antarctic79

OT: What is New Mexico State's future

19 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I see your point, but I do think the bowl game is important from a motivation standpoint for the players; it gives them something to shoot for in place of a conference championship. But there are enough bowls out there to where I don’t think it’ll be an issue for you guys moving forward. 

No doubt, we would love to be in a  FBS conference for reasons mentioned - conference championship, bowl tie-ins, and rivalries developed over time.  Second option is indy at FBS as long as possible.  Way, way, way down is next option, a stable conference for all sports most likely in Big Sky.  I think eventually fans could wrap their heads around it and come out and support if it happens, but i prefer not to think about it and hope for the best.  

Their other option is to go independent and that might be a death blow for the entire program and more specifically FB.  Somehow they need to find a conference and right now it seems that the Big Sky might be their only option.  MWC, Sunbelt, Conference USA are seemingly all off the table.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hoser said:

Their other option is to go independent and that might be a death blow for the entire program and more specifically FB.  Somehow they need to find a conference and right now it seems that the Big Sky might be their only option.  MWC, Sunbelt, Conference USA are seemingly all off the table.

Independent is not an option.  It is reality as of 2018.  2018 schedule is complete.  2019 nearly complete. What does death blow for entire program and more specifically FB mean?  You do realize there are over 300 D1 basketball programs and we are consistently in the top 100, with multiple NCAA tourneys.  Indy sports will be fine whether football is FBS or FCS sometime down the line.  

All it takes is Air Force or Hawaii deciding to go Independent in Football and all of a sudden the MWC is looking for that 12th football team to keep the division's balanced.  UTEP I could see jumping to the MWC.  But if I was Texas State or UTSA, I see no attraction to joining the MWC with the long travel distances they'd have to endure.  Right now both of those schools I believe are in the perfect conference for them as far as competing and have similar AD budgets.

3 minutes ago, Antarctic79 said:

All it takes is Air Force or Hawaii deciding to go Independent in Football and all of a sudden the MWC is looking for that 12th football team to keep the division's balanced.  UTEP I could see jumping to the MWC.  But if I was Texas State or UTSA, I see no attraction to joining the MWC with the long travel distances they'd have to endure.  Right now both of those schools I believe are in the perfect conference for them as far as competing and have similar AD budgets.

Why would Air Force want to go independent?

51 minutes ago, Antarctic79 said:

UTEP fans would love to join the MWC.  They don't fit in the current version of CUSA and the teams don't draw well at all in El Paso.  We already play both UNM and UTEP every year in football alternating home games and  twice in basketball every year.  That's 6 games alone and we are 5-0 this year with the last game coming up on Saturday.  In a perfect world we would all be in the same conference with UNM a 3 hour drive north and UTEP only 30 minutes away to the southeast.   

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Why would Air Force want to go independent?

1 hour ago, Antarctic79 said:

400k vs. 1.1mil in TV payout for UTSA as well. That's plenty incentive, along with an upgrade for their oly sports.

The MWC gets San Antonio and a recruiting football trip in a conference member.

41 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

How big/intense is the Rivalry between UNM and UTEP? How often do they play each other in FB and BBall? 

It's off and on...but consistent enough to call a rivalry. Location is everything. Plenty of history.

UTEP athletics in a tail spin at the moment: brand new AD, 0-12 FB team....BB coach retired, and they have to re-build on a C-USA budget.

10 hours ago, RogueStout said:

How big/intense is the Rivalry between UNM and UTEP? How often do they play each other in FB and BBall? 

The BB rivalry just renewed, and like LTFF said its been off and on again in FB. We've only played twice in the Davie era but the dislike is still there. The reason the BB rivalry had stopped was our coaches almost went to blows. So yeah that fire will easily be rekindled.

On 12/7/2017 at 9:25 AM, alum93 said:

Independent is not an option.  It is reality as of 2018.  2018 schedule is complete.  2019 nearly complete. What does death blow for entire program and more specifically FB mean?  You do realize there are over 300 D1 basketball programs and we are consistently in the top 100, with multiple NCAA tourneys.  Indy sports will be fine whether football is FBS or FCS sometime down the line.  

Hey, if going independent is not that bad of an option, then they should definitely give that some thought but I see it hurting alot more than helping the Aggies overall program.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

NMSU will be debt free after the 2020/2021 season. That will free up a lot of money for the athletic department. I will also say that NMSU will never move down to FCS. The University will lose nearly $2 million to make that move. NMSU will survive as an indy especially since teams like Alabama is paying nearly $2 million to host us. NMSU will be playing 3 money games in 2019 that will pay us nearly $4 milllion. 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:56 AM, pokerider said:

NM State is in to sparse a population area squeezed between UNM and UTEP.  Thats been their problem and they just don't fit in the scheme of things. 

Would be like U N.Colorado which is near CSU and Wyoming, just would not  be enough fan base to support them at FBS.  

The problem is primarily its location is New Mexico where there is virtually no HS football talent.

# of bowl appearances by NMSU and UNM in 129 seasons of playing Division IA/FBS football = 16

You can't get blood out of a turnip.

Boom goes the dynamite.

23 hours ago, realaggies said:

NMSU will make $3.8 million playing Alabama ($1.7 million), Ole Miss ($1.5 million), and Washington State ($600k) in 2019. If we drop to FCS, we won't make that type of money. 

That's pennies in the scope of a 20-30mil athletic department.

...a department that mostly looks to break even against the rest of university department budgets overall, for the most part, around the country.

Very few athletic departments turn a profit even at the P5 level.

FCS or FBS...the same concept applies. The numbers just shift.