Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k5james

The AAC has officially left us in the dust

51 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Yeah, I think this league has to stop sending a second or third place team to Hawaii against your sixth place one.

What other options does the league have?   Another bowl versus CUSA or the Sun Belt.   Our bowl tie-ins are beyond bad.    

5 minutes ago, SLCPoke said:

Then quit having them in places like Hawaii and Boise!!! Hawaii is too expensive and too far while Boise is cold and not even close to a winter destination. 

Hawaii the exception, it doesn't stop the Pinstripe Bowl from selling tickets.  Boise sucks..I agree.

2 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Hawaii the exception, it doesn't stop the Pinstripe Bowl from selling tickets.  Boise sucks..I agree.

Pinstripe Bowl is in destination city that a lot of people can get to for under $300 round trip (especially on the east cost). Hawaii is $600 round trip and 10-12 hours of travel either way. So to make it worth going to Hawaii you have to spend a week and it’s Christmas time. Boise is cold, and nobody wants to go there in the winter. It has nothing notable in the winter time. 

tetons1.jpg

2 hours ago, Castle Ram said:

If the MW can get a bowl in San Diego in the new stadium after Christmas that could become huge.  The poinsettia could be resurrected.   Not certain what will happen with the Holiday either

Wonder if the Holiday Bowl will lose some steam when the larger Qualcomm Stadium is gone.......or will the new stadium in LV be more able to lure P5 to the LV Bowl or a new bowl !?!?!

Of if the LV Bowl moves away from the MWC as a partner unless the MWC champ is highly ranked ??

16 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Wonder if the Holiday Bowl will lose some steam when the larger Qualcomm Stadium is gone.......or will the new stadium in LV be more able to lure P5 to the LV Bowl or a new bowl !?!?!

Of if the LV Bowl moves away from the MWC as a partner unless the MWC champ is highly ranked ??

I guarantee the Vegas Bowl is done with the MWC once the new stadium is done.  Book it.

1 hour ago, utenation said:

IMO, unless there was a big pay raise involved, it would be travel expense suicide on a G5 program.  It would also be very hard to maintain and improve your brand without natural geographic rivalries. Not to mention the physical/ mental hell of traveling across country weekly or semi weekly.

Agree to some extent, but for CSU it would be a significant pay raise from what we currently see now.  As far as the travel issues, I would expect any invite to CSU would likely be a package deal with several other MWC schools to make it a 16 team conference.

Not saying it is likely, just agreeing that the g5 landscape has changed and the MWC no longer seems to have the inside track.

1 hour ago, k5james said:

I guarantee the Vegas Bowl is done with the MWC once the new stadium is done.  Book it.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Holiday Bowl if/when SCCCU Stadium is replaced by a 35,000 seat venue. Does it stay in San Diego or move up to the new facility in Los Angeles? If it moves to LA, it would be a good move by the MWC to work with ESPN to resurrect the Poinsettia Bowl at your new venue.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Holiday Bowl if/when SCCCU Stadium is replaced by a 35,000 seat venue. Does it stay in San Diego or move up to the new facility in Los Angeles? If it moves to LA, it would be a good move by the MWC to work with ESPN to resurrect the Poinsettia Bowl at your new venue.

The San Diego bowl association owns both the Holiday and Poinsettia bowls.  I doubt they move their games to LA. So there does seem to be potential in SD in the new stadjum. For both gamesI don't know? 

You are right Stan Kronkies new Hollywood park palace will be looking for events.  There will be an opportunity there. The stub hub stadium might work too.  Since ESPN events owns the Potato bowl any move would be from them. So with the bowl moratorium they will need to find a game to move. Perhaps they do sell the Holiday bowl

The Hawaii bowl is fine where and when it is

4 minutes ago, Castle Ram said:

The San Diego bowl association owns both the Holiday and Poinsettia bowls.  I doubt they move their games to LA.

Ah, forgot about that. Thanks. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

5 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

We just need to make sure our champ or best team gets to play a decent opponent. It’s the best we can ask for right now.

As long as we are able to keep the Vegas Bowl, things are fine.

9 hours ago, k5james said:

The Las Vegas Bowl likely will move to P5 only, but I'd also be shocked if a new bowl isn't created or one moved to Vegas to accommodate the MWC champ. Vegas is hungry for events to fill that spot and would love to host multiple bowls. They have 3 years to figure that out.

10 hours ago, sactowndog said:

What other options does the league have?   Another bowl versus CUSA or the Sun Belt.   Our bowl tie-ins are beyond bad.    

I think we need more backup contracts with other bowls.  The Cactus and Foster Farms are good options but neither came through this year.  If we could have had one with the Independence Bowl, then SDSU would be playing Florida State (Shreveport is not necessarily great, but I'd take it for the match-up).  A back-up contract for the Sun bowl in El Paso should be a no brainer.  I think we should also have a back-up contract for the New Orleans Bowl and/or the Houston Bowl.

18 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

That’s what happens when you create a locked in advantage for one of your smallest market football teams.   

Or when you have a Billion dollar facility to pay off and need to actually sell tickets and a conference with deep pockets to pay host fees. The fact that UNLV is here is really immaterial. Vegas is plenty easy to get to for any MWC team and any PAC team. Will be interesting to see which ones will sell out their allotments in a bigger house. My suspicion is the MWC will do better most years, but ticket sales is only part of the picture. Would Vegas rather have the doctors/lawyers from U$C or the truck drivers/tater pickers from Boise. B)

7 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Or when you have a Billion dollar facility to pay off and need to actually sell tickets and a conference with deep pockets to pay host fees. The fact that UNLV is here is really immaterial. Vegas is plenty easy to get to for any MWC team and any PAC team. Will be interesting to see which ones will sell out their allotments in a bigger house. My suspicion is the MWC will do better most years, but ticket sales is only part of the picture. Would Vegas rather have the doctors/lawyers from U$C or the truck drivers/tater pickers from Boise. B)

The conference would be much better off if our largest market teams: CSU, SDSU, UNLV and Air Force were consistently strong.   Unfortunately we have made that harder by systematically locking them into CBSSports.  

Not only that we have reduced their revenue to pay coaches by sending an unequal share to one of our smallest market teams.  And we reduced our market negotiation power by splitting our TV inventory in half allowing providers to use it as leverage against us.   

This conference is in poor shape because of its structure and will remain in poor shape as long as the structure exists.

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

The conference would be much better off if our largest market teams: CSU, SDSU, UNLV and Air Force were consistently strong.   Unfortunately we have made that harder by systematically locking them into CBSSports.  

Not only that we have reduced their revenue to pay coaches by sending an unequal share to one of our smallest market teams.  And we reduced our market negotiation power by splitting our TV inventory in half allowing providers to use it as leverage against us.   

This conference is in poor shape because of its structure and will remain in poor shape as long as the structure exists.

I get all that, but what does all of that have to do with the Vegas Bowl though?