Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

Official Arizona Bowl Thread - Utah State vs New Mexico State

2 hours ago, RogueStout said:

that was +++++ing pathetic. that NMSU mascot should be embarrassed. 

As I recall, this was right after Big Blue ripped off the raggie mascot's mustache after a Nevada(?) fan gave him $20 to perform the deed. I wasn't there, but witnesses said it was funny as hell. 

10 hours ago, alum93 said:

I guess that's one way to look at it.  Another way is we beat UNM not only this year when they were down, but last year when they won 9 games, most of them in MWC.  You mention the 6 wins above, but what you didn't mention is how we played in our other games.  We lost 37-32 at ASU, who finished 7-5 in P12 and will play in Sun Bowl.  We lost to Troy 31-27,  and they went on to beat LSU.  We were leading App State, another top Sun Belt team, in 4th quarter before 2 late int's doomed us.   That was the only game in which our stud qb played bad.  Otherwise he had a phenomenal year.  There was only one game we didn't have a chance to pull out a win in 4th quarter, and that was at SEC Arkansas.  We lost 42-24 and still put up a ton of yards.  We don't have SEC athletes, but neither do MWC teams.  We didn't have one single blowout where the team was noncompetitive and as i mentioned, only had 1 game where we didn't have a chance in the 4th.  Actually scratch that, the ASU game we didn't have a chance to win in 4th either, but moved the ball up and down the field in both halves and put up 32 points.

Honestly,  i did pay attention to USU this year.  They were not competitve against Wisconsin and Wake and they also beat a lot of bad teams plus an FCS team by the way.  It appears they have middle of the pack MWC talent and based off our last few years against UNM, so do we.  Our qb Rogers was lights out and ended up top 10 in yardage i believe, despite missing a game and a half from shoulder injury.  We wouldn't be bowling without him.  I am glad we get USU.  The basketball rivalry in the old WAC was always intense and it will be nice to play them in Tucson.  We also have them on the football schedule in 2018, along with Wyoming and UNM at home.  Many thanks to the MWC for scheduling us for next 5 years.  The bowl game should be a blast.

I'm sorry but the NMSU team I watched did not really get better down the stretch.  The loss to La-La was bad and the wins against Idaho and South Alabama were uninspired.  Idaho would have won that game had they not had to go to their 3rd string QB and you barely beat a South Alabama team that had fired their coach and packed it in for the year (and had just had their ass whooped by a terrible Georgia Southern team).  Can you name a bowl team that is worse than this one on paper?

There were some semi-close losses but they were losses.  There weren't many (any?) that NMSU were in position to win with 2 minutes left in the game.  I didn't see the ASU game but I know that ASU was not playing well to start the season.  The Appy State game was not close in the 4th quarter-- and Appy State won a lot of games in conference but almost all of them were close.  They got lucky a bunch of times.

Now that being said, I think it is awesome that NMSU has finally made a bowl game.  They will be plenty motivated in this game and Utah State is no world beater.  On paper, I think Utah State should win but NMSU will have lot of passion on their side-- and probably a fairly descent fan turnout.

47 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

I'm sorry but the NMSU team I watched did not really get better down the stretch.  The loss to La-La was bad and the wins against Idaho and South Alabama were uninspired.  Idaho would have won that game had they not had to go to their 3rd string QB and you barely beat a South Alabama team that had fired their coach and packed it in for the year (and had just had their ass whooped by a terrible Georgia Southern team).  Can you name a bowl team that is worse than this one on paper?

There were some semi-close losses but they were losses.  There weren't many (any?) that NMSU were in position to win with 2 minutes left in the game.  I didn't see the ASU game but I know that ASU was not playing well to start the season.  The Appy State game was not close in the 4th quarter-- and Appy State won a lot of games in conference but almost all of them were close.  They got lucky a bunch of times.

Now that being said, I think it is awesome that NMSU has finally made a bowl game.  They will be plenty motivated in this game and Utah State is no world beater.  On paper, I think Utah State should win but NMSU will have lot of passion on their side-- and probably a fairly descent fan turnout.

I hope it's huge.  A four hour drive means you don't just go for the game and then drive home which is the only thing more convenient, but it's freaking close.  I'd love to see the NMSU faithful show up in droves, and then USU curbstomp their team.  But they have earned a chance to enjoy a bowl game.

13 hours ago, Spot50B said:

USU didn't beat a team over .500 and were much more inconsistent week to week.  The only game NMSU really played bad was App State with the interceptions.  We were in all 10 G5 games in the 4th quarter and won 6 of them.  The issue the last couple seasons was we were close to 4 and 5 win seasons, but we just weren't in enough close games.  That was not the case this year.  Starting with ASU, UNM, Troy, and UTEP,  the team had no significant let downs and certainly no blowouts like years past.  

You reference down the stretch.  Our star qb finished top 5 in total yards.  He was injured and missed most of second half in week 10,  a loss where we came back and tied game in 4th at Lafayette.  In a battle of backup quarterbacks,  we beat Idaho week 11 to keep bowl dreams alive. Rogers was able to return week 12 and threw for over 400 yards yet again, including the game winning TD pass with 32 seconds.  NMSU had both offensive and defensive POW in WAC in the win over South Alabama.

Neither USU or NMSU are world beaters, but based off looking at performance in all 12 games for both schools it's hard to argue USU played better.  My guess is betting line is less than 4 come game time, basically a pick em game.

NMSU sold half their ticket allotment of 5000 in first day.  Should be a great atmosphere.

1 hour ago, realaggies said:

NMSU has sold 5,700 tickets, Utah State has sold 580. Interesting. 

I would not be too surprised. USU has had some recent success and they didn't even travel all that well to the Potato Bowl which is a heck of a lot closer than Tucson for them.

NMSU has almost no recent Bowl history. This is a really big deal for you guys. Shit I am actually surprised you haven't sold more.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

8 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

I would not be too surprised. USU has had some recent success and they didn't even travel all that well to the Potato Bowl which is a heck of a lot closer than Tucson for them.

NMSU has almost no recent Bowl history. This is a really big deal for you guys. Shit I am actually surprised you haven't sold more.

NMSU will end up selling about 8,000, and the Arizona Bowl will end up selling about 4,000 so we could see about 12,000 Aggie fans at the game in Tucson. That is pretty good..

Looking on the bowl's website, there are a lot of seats that are unavailable and looks like it should be a really good crowd.  No doubt there will be a lot more NMSU fans, but it would do USU good if they did travel to this bowl being it is way after Christmas also. 

Since the bowl tickets are basically the same, have to wonder if the USU fans are buying directly from the bowl and not through the USU ticket dept.  Actually the USU side isn't looking to bad on the lower section, the upper section (101 - 106) looks a bit thin. 

2 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Looking on the bowl's website, there are a lot of seats that are unavailable and looks like it should be a really good crowd.  No doubt there will be a lot more NMSU fans, but it would do USU good if they did travel to this bowl being it is way after Christmas also. 

Since the bowl tickets are basically the same, have to wonder if the USU fans are buying directly from the bowl and not through the USU ticket dept. 

I've attended a number of bowl games, for both Nevada and Colorado, I never bought tickets thru the school.

Through the schools, they always use a priority list and unless you're a large donor or long time ticket holder, you can end up with shit.

In 2010/11 when Nevada went to San Francisco, more than 30k Wolf Pack fans made the trip. I was trying to buy 24 tickets and because of the "pecking order", the Nevada ticket office couldn't tell me where the seats would be. Forget that bullshit; my group ended up with awesome seats on the 40 yard line.

41 minutes ago, realaggies said:

NMSU will end up selling about 8,000, and the Arizona Bowl will end up selling about 4,000 so we could see about 12,000 Aggie fans at the game in Tucson. That is pretty good..

12k would be a really impressive turnout.

Best of luck to you guys.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I've attended a number of bowl games, for both Nevada and Colorado, I never bought tickets thru the school.

Through the schools, they always use a priority list and unless you're a large donor or long time ticket holder, you can end up with shit.

In 2010/11 when Nevada went to San Francisco, more than 30k Wolf Pack fans made the trip. I was trying to buy 24 tickets and because of the "pecking order", the Nevada ticket office couldn't tell me where the seats would be. Forget that bullshit; my group ended up with awesome seats on the 40 yard line.

I think the AZ bowl is setup differently, If I recall the bowl sets aside the best seats for the schools and the rest is sold by the bowl.  The schools will get half of the proceeds from the ticket sales they sell. 

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/education/nmsu/2017/12/06/nmsu-receives-2000-more-tickets-sell-arizona-bowl/928623001/

3 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

I think the AZ bowl is setup differently, If I recall the bowl sets aside the best seats for the schools and the rest is sold by the bowl.  The schools will get half of the proceeds from the ticket sales they sell. 

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/education/nmsu/2017/12/06/nmsu-receives-2000-more-tickets-sell-arizona-bowl/928623001/

I believe the school gets 50%, and the conference gets the other 50%. 

Always nice to get good pub up in Albuquerque.  It's been a very good year for NMSU, with basketball sweeping both rivals in football and basketball.  Basketball off to an 8-2 start.  Article references ticket sales and a big crowd expected in Tucson.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1105918/aggies-enjoy-being-part-of-bowl-mania.html

We were keeping our fingers crossed that New Mexico State could become bowl eligible,” Adair said. “… We were hoping for a Utah State-New Mexico State matchup because of the history and the proximity of Las Cruces. We anticipate having a full, energetic stadium.”

On December 4, 2017 at 3:25 PM, alum93 said:

SB Nation 10 Coolest Bowl Matchups.  Check out who is #2.  Ranked between the Fiesta and Cotton, with sweet pictures.  Too cool.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/4/16731024/the-10-coolest-bowl-matchups-of-college-footballs-2017-2018-bowl-season

Dang, that's pretty high ranking for this bowl game.